epanel question

Started by BlackwaterPark, December 05, 2014, 08:52:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlackwaterPark

My system currently needs a dc box for the connections inside, and i have been looking at the mini dc box (the one for around $200) to connect to my samlex 600sa.  As my planned upgrade will be the outback 3524 along with the appropriate e-panel,  i was thinking it a better route to just get the epanel first and skip the mini dc altogether.   So basically,  my question is will that e-panel accept the samlex,  and if so,  is there any modifications to the breaker sizing for the temporary inverter?

BlackwaterPark

Forgot to add to previous post that the system voltage will remain the same between the inverters at 24v.

zoneblue

Does the samlex have a battery charger? i see no harm in using the samlex with an epanel for outback as a tempory measure. Just mount the samlex beside it in and run cables through one of the knock outs.

You can also obviously do the reverse mount the outback beside the MNDC. The difference is the epanel has the space and gear for AC IN/OUT, so the answer is basically depends on your genset/grid backup/etc.

Just note that just about everybody wishes they got bigger discos. So dont reach for the smallest unless you have a good reason.
6x300W CSUN, ground mount, CL150Lite, 2V/400AhToyo AGM,  Outback VFX3024E, Steca Solarix PL1100
http://www.zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

BlackwaterPark

The samlex is an inverter only,  zone.   That was proly my biggest concern actually,  as i wasn't sure how a non charging inverter would mesh with the ac bypass switch on the epanel.  If I could work with the epanel to bridge a temporary situation with my permanent future setup,  that would definitly be preferred, as it would save me a could hundred bucks.  I'm guessing the breaker for the inverter would have to swapped with a 30 or 40a one for the samlex?

Westbranch

yes you might want to consider a smaller CB for that small inverter but it can not go where the 125 or 175A on mounts, there is a big difference in size. there may be other spots in the e-panel you could use depending on just how you will mount your CC...  you might want to call MN and speak to Ryan,  or ? in the wiring dept...
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

zoneblue

What i do is chain a smaller din or panel mount breaker for our little 1KW inverter after the big carling for the VFX
6x300W CSUN, ground mount, CL150Lite, 2V/400AhToyo AGM,  Outback VFX3024E, Steca Solarix PL1100
http://www.zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

BlackwaterPark

Thank you for the input gentlemen.   At least i know it's a viable option so that's a relief :)