News:

To visit MidNite Solar click this link www.midnitesolar.com

Main Menu

Hi from SOMA

Started by Soma, January 08, 2015, 01:47:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Soma

As the manufacturer of the "Soma" range" of wind generators made in Australia, I don't want to overstep my bounds on this forum, I just wanted to say hi and let it be known, that we are looking forward to introducing the Clipper /Classic combo as standard equipment for our Wind Turbine, I have been reading with interest, the posts ,and expect to learn a lot from them.

Cheers
Rob

boB

Hi Rob !   Great !  Sounds like a winner.

We'll be chatting, I'm sure.

Have a great weekend !

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

dgd

Hi Rob,
Good to read that SOMA is still alive.  :)
I still fondly remember my Soma 1000 which I bought second hand in 1996 and it had been manufactured in New Zealand a few years previous.
Had it in a paddock near Tauranga, well away from any residential buildings. That large 2 blade design worked very efficiently and made good power.  It was just the screaming like a banshee that stopped me taking it with me when I moved to west Auckland.
I sold it to an RE enthusiast and in 2004 it was still working well until an earthquake brought it down.
I hope you are successful with your new acquisition  :)

Dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

Soma

Thanks dgd.

Noticed that your signature shows you are still running a turbine and it is matched with clipper and classic. How is that combo working out for you?

Rob

dgd

It's working very well. I have had a clipper/classic on a couple of different turbines and after sorting out the optimum resistor values along with a reasonably accurate power curve they have performed well together.
I would definitely not go back to a turbine connected to battery bank with a bypass controller to keep battery voltage from getting too high.

Dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000

Soma

Thanks DGD. Do you know if the clipper can be used with the DC output connected to a string inverter. If so , how does the clipper work without its PWM signal from Classic. Can it still control the dump load

dgd

Sorry, don't know about that. Someone from MN probably knows.

Dgd

boB

Quote from: Soma on February 11, 2015, 08:03:02 PM
Thanks DGD. Do you know if the clipper can be used with the DC output connected to a string inverter. If so , how does the clipper work without its PWM signal from Classic. Can it still control the dump load

The DC Clipper can be used stand-alone with its "fail safe"  circuitry adjusted by the trim-pot on the Clipper itself.

The maximum clip voltage is somewhere around 275V to 300V.

How come you want to clip a solar input ?

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Soma

Thanks Bob.

Don't want to clip a solar input. I want to use the " Clipper" in combination with a Windy Boy Grid tie inverter