Sounds the classic makes

Started by finalman, August 09, 2015, 05:10:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

finalman

OK so on my first morning with the solar connected I've noticed the classic making cracking / pooping noises and am wondering is this normal?

No smells or smoke yet and classic cover is on so I cannot see if there were sparks or not, yet classic still going after half an hour so I assume not.

Didn't make them when there was no solar and only the battery connected.

We're at the end of winter in Australia yet the room temp was about 10 Deg C.

Wondering if is some kind of electric switching happening in the classic or heat expansion as the classic heats up for the day.

Should I be concerned?

Vic

Hi final..,

It is fairly difficult to describe noises ...

Early in the day, late in the day,   or at other times when the Sun intensity is quite dim,  the Input Relay will 'click'.  This allows the Classic to measure the amount of PV power available  --  it is trying to decide if there can be any measurable amount of power produced,  in excess of that which is required to run the Converter.   If there is too little power to produce some charge,  the Converter shuts off,  and the input relay switches to off  --  causing a second click.

If you watch the Vin,  and the output current or output power,  you can get an idea if this is what is happening.

When the Vin is near the battery voltage,  there is a small tone that is often emitted from the Classic.   Believe that this comes from the inductors inside the Classic.

Both of these conditions are quite normal for many/most MPPT CCs,  including Classics.

Does any of the above seem something like what you are noticing from the Classic?

Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

finalman

Quote from: Vic on August 09, 2015, 05:29:06 PM

Does any of the above seem something like what you are noticing from the Classic?

Vic

Yes I did notice between 1 and 0 input watts it did make the clicking and now that there's lots of watts it's stopped.