Installing solar panel and dodgy work

Started by Herman, January 11, 2016, 11:59:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Herman

Quote from: dgd on January 28, 2016, 06:30:30 AM
I see your panels all spread around on roof in pairs on thier own small frames
also I read you are somewhat wobbly and roof is high and could be dangerous
Is there no way you could get these PVs on a ground frame where access would be easier and less arduous to deal with wiring?
Maintenace and keeping PVs clean would be simpler 😐

dgd

I wish I could mate even though we are on eight acres we are surrounded by trees so the roof is the better option at the moment just a though was wondering if I could run a two main string lines + and - and plug into it from the panels which would mean i would only have to join into 1 line with a branch plug so basically have two branch plugs on the panel connecting into another branch plug on the main line my only fear is it may get to hot and I am back to square one.

dgd

Ok, so a ground type frame is not practical for you.

However I would still recommend looking at some way to get those panels off the roof. If height is an issue to clear tree shading then perhaps a pole mounted frame(s) for six or eight panels.
Your present setup is IMO always going to have difficult cabling issues even with flexible or solid electrical conduit because its over a hot hot iron roof and between your spaced out frames will always be exposed to UV and lots of heat. This could be solved by wiring each frame through the roof but drilling holes in the iron roof is probably not a great idea.

A pole mounted frame would mean much simpler inter-panel wiring and a common pair down the pole. You could also mount a breaker box on the pole to switch PV strings etc..
The PVs would be better ventilated too with easier escape of hot air from below them.

dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

Herman

Quote from: dgd on January 28, 2016, 03:13:44 PM
Ok, so a ground type frame is not practical for you.
dgd

Thanks for the advice it is appreciated I would have loved a ground mount as well but have been working with what we have trying to keep the cost down

dgd

OK, understand, I'm sure you will get the wiring sorted out  :)

dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

mike90045

I've heard a coat of yellow paint will protect plastic from the UV (it's not the heat, it's UV light that cooks the plastic).  sounds reasonable, but I have no proof yet, my piping is only a year old.
http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar

Classic 200| 2Kw PV, 160Voc | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph )| Listeroid 6/1, st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | midnight ePanel & 4 SPDs | 48V, 800A NiFe battery bank | MS-TS-MPPT60 w/3Kw PV

Herman

I have also heard that from some of the electricians but they generally say any good quality outdoor paint but I need to make sure there is no effect from the paint to our water supply which is from the roof before I start that one

Resthome

Quote from: mike90045 on January 29, 2016, 01:14:33 AM
I've heard a coat of yellow paint will protect plastic from the UV (it's not the heat, it's UV light that cooks the plastic).  sounds reasonable, but I have no proof yet, my piping is only a year old.

Not sure it has to be yellow. I!ve painted some of mine white and the paint does really help reduce or actual stop the burn damage.
John

10 x Kyocera KC140, Classic 150 w/WBJr, Link10 Battery Monitor, 850 AH @ 12v Solar One 2v cells, Xantrex PROwatt SW2000
Off Grid on Houseboat Lake Don Pedro, CA

Herman

I have all the new panels up and running world of TSMC are a world of difference compared with the DCH BX 65 they harvested 1.7 KW in 3 hours full cloud cover and light rain the BX 65 I was lucky to get .5 of a KW in that time even with 12 of them.

the only thing left to do on the roof is to tidy up the last piece of conduit and paint it then in goes the new Selctroincs Invertor Charger