Orientation of PV Modules

Started by WindFarmer, May 08, 2016, 11:00:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tecnodave

To all techies who can help:

I need some help for WindFarmer

First off.....he is in Khartoum , South Sudan.     There is no parts...technical expertise to be found there

What he is trying to accomplish here is a hospital lighting system. It will be very minimalist! Consisting of 2 BP 80 watt 36 cell polycrystalline panels in series to a kid that was donated   The loads are 4-9 led bulbs in the wards. These are 7 watts ea. we want to use the Kid load out to turn off the lights at night. At times the staff does not turn off lites.

The prior system was one BP 80 watt panel connected to a Victron PWM controller charging one Victron 220  amp gel battery.

Load out was more than solar in with predictable result.

The Kid was brought on to help with two issues,

Better solar harvest.      AND.      Load control

Ok first problem solved but no load output from the Kid

I am communicating with him directly via PM and email

My internet is dead slow Verizon wireless and my communicator will not run Skype

He gets no output from load terminal......I have never used the kid in LVD mode or timed output

I copy without permission our latest communications here:

I deleted email addresses

My last email:

Marc,

There are two main versions of the Kid.     Solar Only Kid.   &.    Wind & Solar Kid

This is not really clear in the manual.

The fuse pads under the covers on the front have two places to plug the load fuse into.
  Three terminals or pads.
For a solar only kid this fuse belongs on the load side not the clipper side.

On the connections in the back compartment of the kid are the load terminals.

The load output......Positive AND Negative wires from the load.  MUST go directly to these terminals.
The Kid measures current on the Negative side..  I do not remember which wire is switched on or off
But direct connection to load and fuse installed in load position I was getting output from load terminals

SETUP:

Go to screen.              "Set load Clipper"
Select load mode :       "Battery"

Now set the load function you need,  day light.    Or LVD    Modes would be best

As a test use manual. On/Off.   To check the load output. Key commands should turn output on/off

It's difficult for me as I can't see what is happening there, I'll be available all day well into your evening.

I can't Skype right now as my iPad is iOS 7.....Skype requires iOS 8....
..winders machine down and new MacBook not online yet

Due to the difficulties we are having communicating , I am going to post this on the forum in hopes
of  resolving your dilemma there.

Dave

Sent from my iPad

On May 12, 2016, at 2:19 AM, WndFarmer wrote:

Dave

I hope all is well.

I have been busy putting on some training for the staff with the Kid.

We have loads in the hospital and have been playing around with LVD and the night light settings.

We hooked up our load and the LED on the front of the Kid displays "load/clipper" but no external light bulb has power,we checked connections and voltage at the back of the Kid but still no light or voltage to the load terminal.

I received the Kid from <deleted> as a donation for this project <edited>

I can not find any information on the little port on the front that reads "load clipper" and it appears there are jumpers. Attached is a pic of what I am looking at.

Thanks for the help and will send you pics and details of the training.

Peace, Marc

<edited to remove private info>

<Kid Front.gif>
#1 Classic 150 12 x Sharp NE-170, 2S6P, 24volt L-16 Rolls-Surette S-530, MS4024 & Cotek ,  C-40 dirv.cont. for hot water
#2 Classic 150 12 x Sharp NE-170, 2S6P, 24 volt L-16 Interstate,Brutus Inv.
#3 Kid/WBjr 4/6 Sanyo 200 watt multilayer 4/6 P
#4 Kid/WBjr 4/6 Sanyo 200 watt multilayer 2S 2/3 P

WindFarmer

Thanks for the help Dave.

Attached is a pic of the front of the Kid. What I am I looking at below the words "load clipper"  in the area that has the cover removed? I cannot seem to find any info in the manual.

tecnodave

Marc ,

You need a 30 amp fuse into that connector.

Dave
#1 Classic 150 12 x Sharp NE-170, 2S6P, 24volt L-16 Rolls-Surette S-530, MS4024 & Cotek ,  C-40 dirv.cont. for hot water

WindFarmer

Thanks Dave

It was that simple....wow I feel stupid...the heat must be getting to me...47c today

tecnodave

Marc,

Sometimes I don't see the trees in the forest......lol....let me know

High flyer and I have been discussing your issues

Let us know how you are doing

Dave

CDN-VT

To get any items to Marc ,why not find out who is next flying in the Marc's area & sent the solar  gismo to the incoming helper / doctor to help with shipping.. No hge weight items , but tours are not long for some.
I know a person who is involved into that also & she caries in medical items .

VT
Canadian Solar 350W 37.6 VOC  30.6 VMP 8.22 ISC 7.87 IMP ,-15 c +30c max  4 strings in 2 in Series for 24v Classic 150 -1020 Ah  Freezers & fridges ~~~ Second Array same panels of 3sx3 parallel for 24 V Classic 150 -440 Ah Outback Barns & out blds.
48Vdc almost done,11Strings up of 3s11P same panels