Router with external connector for parabolic antenna

Started by tecnodave, May 13, 2016, 10:59:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Resthome

Quote from: tecnodave on May 17, 2016, 11:57:38 PM
I'm starting with no WAN in to router.....I need to set up router from disc supplied with the router...MacBook cannot read setup disc?.........cd has specific instructions for Mac but does not work.....I have no problem doing this on windows.....put cd in drive.....wait.....click setup
MacBook cannot open any files on the cd except manual in docs directory

Dave

As Tom said you do not need a WAN to talk to the Router. Hook up a ETHERNET cable from Laptop to router. Use a browser of your choice on the laptop and type in 192.168.1.1  the logon should open in your browser. Never used user is Admin and Pswd is admin . You now have access to all setups for the router.
John

10 x Kyocera KC140, Classic 150 w/WBJr, Link10 Battery Monitor, 850 AH @ 12v Solar One 2v cells, Xantrex PROwatt SW2000
Off Grid on Houseboat Lake Don Pedro, CA

tecnodave

Thanks all, yes I know that I can communicate from the Mac to the router, the setup instructions are on file that can be read by windows computer only, Mac cannot download that file to be read, nor can the iPad. I will need to buy a windows computer to do it.
The setup in the router is limited to basic setup,not switching to the mode that I need to do what I want.

I already have netgear routers and switches, but I find no documentation on how to configure for those routers (Netgear WGR614)

Yes there are files at netgear and Linksys but in windows format, I can't download those nor the
dd-wrt documentation as right now I have very limited iPad and brain dead MacBook, and as yet non operational dual core ASUS motherboard game machine in tower case with cd writer , high end video and audio cards with clean install of windows XP.  This is the target machine for the routers, and network for mymidnite , local app, or some kind monitoring/control software. I will need to use this tower PC to get software then download to XP laptop to transport to solar controllers, I have two sites now with midnite controllers on both sites

As I don't have the funds to finish this machine, I'm trying to use what I have to get up online

Does anyone have an old laptop with windows XP that they would sell, I'd be interested.

Dave
#1 Classic 150 12 x Sharp NE-170, 2S6P, 24volt L-16 Rolls-Surette S-530, MS4024 & Cotek ,  C-40 dirv.cont. for hot water
#2 Classic 150 12 x Sharp NE-170, 2S6P, 24 volt L-16 Interstate,Brutus Inv.
#3 Kid/WBjr 4/6 Sanyo 200 watt multilayer 4/6 P
#4 Kid/WBjr 4/6 Sanyo 200 watt multilayer 2S 2/3 P

ClassicCrazy

Plug Cat 5 cable from your computer into one of the Linksys jacks 1 to 5 but not to the Internet port on it.  Like Tom said - you should be able to go directly to router webpage from a browser by going to 192.168.1.1 .  I don't know Macs but if Firefox browser doesn't work for me for some reason then I use Chrome  or Internet Explorer . If it won't connnect try resetting the router by holding reset button on the router  in with power off - then plug power cord in  and hold the reset button in for at least 30 seconds. This will bring it back to all the defaults.

As others have said - you don't need the startup disc - all the setup menus for the router will be on the Linksys router webpage that you connect to - it is built into the router.

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

tecnodave

Larry,

Thanks I have done that, I get one page setup with no instructions as to what to do. The instructions are on the cd and on the website that I cannot download. There are no instructions on the router itself.

I have a pile of bricks already. Don't need more. There is no mention of the modes here!

Dave
#1 Classic 150 12 x Sharp NE-170, 2S6P, 24volt L-16 Rolls-Surette S-530, MS4024 & Cotek ,  C-40 dirv.cont. for hot water

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: tecnodave on May 18, 2016, 09:42:01 AM
Larry,

Thanks I have done that, I get one page setup with no instructions as to what to do. The instructions are on the cd and on the website that I cannot download. There are no instructions on the router itself.

I have a pile of bricks already. Don't need more. There is no mention of the modes here!

Dave

So you are able to connect to the Linksys via a webpage ? 
What does that page say ? usually you would have to log in to the first page to get access to do anything . Is it asking for a login ?

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

tecnodave

larry,

thanks for trying. the macbook is wifi built in. it also has a 10baseT connector for network. when i plug router into ethernet port i can log into router admin/admin.
i get the router setup page from within the router. not the instructions on what to do.
those i can see at www.linksys only when i use the wifi in from my access point., a 800 Mhz 4GLTE to wifi access point. when i try to use the internet i cannot connect to he access point. i need to set the router as an range extender to extend the range of the wifi to a different access point. this is not covered in the 1 page setup page in the router, it is covered on the detailed page at www.linksys  actually 39 pages of instructions on how to do it        dd-wrt has been mentioned in his thread  that is what i am trying to do

ok once again the finished path would be through remote access point to router #1 wifi in  10BaseT out >>>>>>to>>>>>router #2 wan in>>>>to>>>>wifi out AND 10BaseT out  ........external devices logged into second router would be:

wifi>>>>>>to ipad...........ios7.1
wifi>>>>>>to Macbook.....OSX 10 Mavericks
wifi>>>>>>pc Laptop.....Windows XP

10BaseT to tower pc windows XP
10BaseT to Classic one
10BaseT to Classic too

ok its not a one computer setup

are we on same page,  can that be done with the one page setup in the router, i dont see how.....the instructions are in several different articles

i do not use an isp.........only wifi and or 4GLTE connection

dave

TomW

None of this is "hard" but it does need to be done logically and correctly.

If you are not somewhat clued in on networking you may need to find a geeky  kid to help?

I tend to forget I have done this hundreds of times and finer details are instinct and left out of my attempts to help.

Of course you may be in over your head if you don't understand networking basics.

One will be in bridge mode and should be set up first, probably to get a DHCP connection to the school. the other will be the router for your local machines and set up after the bridge mode unit is working.

WRT the MAC not seeing the network it might just need a reboot or be told to "forget" the network it found connecting to the router?

Also I would get the bridged unit as close to the school as possible to get it to connect so hardware [antennas\] are not an issue. Nothing worse than a hardware problem when trying to set something up in software.

Best of luck and if you were close I would gladly help out in person. I work for coffee!

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

tecnodave

thanks tom,

i quit using computers several years ago,am not into networking to the point that i can set this up without detailed instructions. i have no problem dealing with a simple network card or router. i have never done a wireless bridge before.  that is where i am lost......i am very conversant with winders XP and older, have some expereince with win 7...hate it.....zip nada with Mac OS anything....2 plus years ipad.....ok with unix....ok with sunOS...sunsparc.....done linux....cpm....real time......my weakness is complicated networking.

i need to find that article about this mode that someone on this forum pointed me at and download and print it so i can step by step it.  i read the complete article but could not save it on ipad

i will reread all the threads and find that article before i attempt it again

thanx...dave

tecnodave

TomW

the Mac was hung up on the 10BaseT connector being connected and wouln not log into accsess point on wifi,

i understand that the first router must be set up first....it details on bridge mode im lacking...not finding that mode

david

Westbranch

TD, to save what is left f your hair, look at my sig line.... I got a wireless bridge to use for connection to my router,, no messin about with setup etc...  sorry I can not see my sig till I post this ... it will be very compatible as it is a Linksys, paid ~ $10 shipped...

ADD:  Linksys Wet54g Bridge
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

ClassicCrazy

I don't know how to link those routers as a bridge with standard default Linksys firmware. I know how to do that if you flash it with alternative DDWRT firmware.

With DDWRT you make one router a Client ( like what is in a laptop) and connect to the other router which is in Access Point mode - it will be a bridge then. I have this setup with a external antenna and it is very stable and never drops the link.

But not sure if possible or how you do it with standard Linksys firmware.

Larry
system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Resthome

John

10 x Kyocera KC140, Classic 150 w/WBJr, Link10 Battery Monitor, 850 AH @ 12v Solar One 2v cells, Xantrex PROwatt SW2000
Off Grid on Houseboat Lake Don Pedro, CA

tecnodave

Larry & RH,

truly appreciate the help, Ive been focusing on a heath issue which is taking all my energy......it did dawn on me that a router that has no restrictions will act as  bridge.
i did watch the u-tube video. i will have my winXP game box back together and do setup from there, Ive read docs on dd-wrt and will download correct ver for this.
i have WRT54GL ver 1.1   not sure but maybe its 4 Gb flash. Will read up some more.

dave

ClassicCrazy

Wish I could get my hands on your routers - then I could have them set up in short order. I have to tell you though that when I started tinkering with this networking stuff a few years back none of it made any sense and it is only recently that I am starting to wrap my head around how all this IP stuff works . Still just scratching at the surface too !

Let us know if you need any other help.
Larry
system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable