Local App software

Started by Halfcrazy, September 22, 2011, 06:49:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomW

Quote from: stuman on June 14, 2013, 05:00:00 PM
I have entered the serial number as the unlock code, but additional config options are still grayed out.  Is there a secret to unlocking those features other than entering the serial number?

Running latest app on xp machine with midnite 150.  3.6 kw of panels, twin golf cart batteries for storage and a magnasine 4448 inverter as well.  I would love to be able to modify some of the more esoteric features of this controller from my computer.

Be sure to click that little blue "enter arrow" to the right lower corner of that pane to send the data to the Classic.

That one got me in the beginning

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

boB

You can also install the "LOCK" jumper located behind the main power terminal block to
unlock the Classic from needing the local app serial number password.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Photowhit

I finally uninstalled the update utility program and reinstalled it and it worked fine.

So I went to connect to local status Panel and the first one went fine and the 2nd can't be found.... very frustrating... I've changed the IP address of the original Classic but can't connect to the 2nd one at all on any of 192.168.   addresses, yes I've bounce the laptops address around as well, and re connected the original and it's recognized right away.

I've set it up the first for Follow me and have it wired. I don't suppose that's creating a problem?

They actually are more in sync than they have been, so I guess some sharing is going on... I get one short blue blip then one long one... Kinda a one sided conversation....lol.
Home system 20 - 200watt Evergreen, E-Panel, 2-Classic Lite 150s up and running and 14 Suntech 185watt panels, and another Classic Lite in a dark room. Cabin system 8-115watt 12V, 6 - 170-5watt 24v, Pulse/Trace PC250 Power Center, 800AH 24V forklift Batt, ProSine 1800 watt (24v) inverter.

Halfcrazy

Do you have 2 ethernet cables, one to each Classic?

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

Photowhit

No, I'm just using one cable, I don't intend(for a while at least) monitoring the classics, I just want to get them on the same page. I haven't connected to the 2nd classic, via software, I am moving the cable to the 2nd unit. I directly connected to my laptop, which worked fine 1st try on the first unit.

I really haven't worked on it, other projects going on. I hope to ping the 2nd in the morning to see if the computer 'sees' it and it's just a software problem. Then I might uninstall and reinstall the program as I did for the firmware install.

I am moving the cable to the 2nd classic, I do have the 'FollowMe' cabling installed. I have taken the 1st CL(classic Lite) and changed the IP to ...1.220(I think with out checking) and setup my parameters, including FollowMe.

I have also removed the BTS from the 2nd CL, anticipating setting up Follow Me. Surprisingly they are pretty much using the parameters I setup, I have it set for EQ every 30 days, or is that cycles? since I can't set the time on the CL. Or will that not work with the CLs connected in FollowMe with out at least borrowing a regular display to set the time?

I think someone said that the CL could acquire the time from an attached computer, but I can't recall how to do this.
Home system 20 - 200watt Evergreen, E-Panel, 2-Classic Lite 150s up and running and 14 Suntech 185watt panels, and another Classic Lite in a dark room. Cabin system 8-115watt 12V, 6 - 170-5watt 24v, Pulse/Trace PC250 Power Center, 800AH 24V forklift Batt, ProSine 1800 watt (24v) inverter.

dgd

Pw,
I think I may see the problem here - or maybe not.. :)
You ethernet connect the first Lite and change its IP to ..1.200
You then connect the second Lite which will be at one of the IPs set by dip switches  either ..1.223 or ..1.224 using the ethernet cable that was connected to the first Lite.
This won't work as the local app is trying to talk to the ..1.220 IP number which it expects to see at the end of the ethernet cable.
It will work if you restart the local app because then the app will look for and find the second Lite.

The proper solution to this is to have each Lite separately connected via its own ethernet cable to your ethernet hub/switch. Maybe a good solution would be a small 4 or 5 port powered ethernet hub inside that box that contains the two Classics, fusebox and inverter
The hub will probably have a plugback power unit that could be plugged to a socket next your inverter. You could use two real short ethernet cables to connect hub to each Classic. You could even  look at an ethernet radio bridge like Cisco/Linksys WET54G in the same box and its radio link would connect to radio router/laptop etc in the main dwelling.

Anyways just sort of thinking out loud here  ::)

dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

Photowhit

Quote from: dgd on July 07, 2013, 04:07:21 AM
Pw,
I think I may see the problem here - or maybe not.. :)
You ethernet connect the first Lite and change its IP to ..1.200
You then connect the second Lite which will be at one of the IPs set by dip switches  either ..1.223 or ..1.224 using the ethernet cable that was connected to the first Lite.
This won't work as the local app is trying to talk to the ..1.220 IP number which it expects to see at the end of the ethernet cable.
It will work if you restart the local app because then the app will look for and find the second Lite....

My understanding from watching the nice install video Ryan produced is that the program would address multiple addresses?

I have added the correct address for the second CL(Classic Lite) and I have the network cable connected to the 2nd CL. I also changed the static IP address for the laptop. Will the program not talk with the 2nd CL. I have turned the program on and off, and I will 'ping' the 2nd CL next chance I get, hopefully this week. I don't have the door hinged yet and it's a bit of a production to open the power center. We reached 96 here today and I really didn't want to sit out in the heat.

I did not get that you had to have a hub or needed a hub unless you intended to monitor the CLs at the same time. I just want to set them and let them work. If the 'Follow Me' cabling is messing something up, like I shouldn't have them connected until both CLs are set for 'Follow Me' I'd be glad to disconnect them.

I don't think "...This won't work as the local app is trying to talk to the ..1.220 IP number which it expects to see at the end of the ethernet cable...." is true of the program, I think you can select what CL address you want it to talk to, changing the static IP only puts you in the correct group to talk to, so as long as your CL is using an unused 192.168.1.xyz address you should be able to communicate with either CL, one at a time by selecting the configuration you wish to address.

Perhaps I'm wrong, thanks for trying to help me out, I'll direct Ryan to this thread and perhaps he can straighten me out.

dgd

The local app only does network device discovery at startup.Once the link layer tcp/ip is established to a Classic then the local app will expect to find that Classic at the end of the physical link it discovered it at.
Break that link and insert a different device, Classic, and the local app will fail to find it unless the local app is restarted so that it goes through the network device discovery stage again.
Thats why what you are doing does not work. Nothing at all to do with follow-me wiring, ethernet does not use or take account of follow me wiring between Classics.
The easiest and cheapest solution is to get a hub for a few dollars (ebay) and wire up both the h Classics (one on 192.168.1.223 and the other on 192.168.1.224 as set by the LITEs dip switches).

dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

Photowhit

Thanks for the help, I really have a pet peeve about people needing to constantly monitor their systems.

I must have missed that it only looks for devices at startup, pretty sure I just typed in the configuration and it started looking, but I could be wrong (it won't be the first time!) Well I opened the Program and that is what it appears to do...

I have a half doz 10/100 hubs around at the cabin, but they are hubs not switches, I had a friend who changed them out for gigabit in her business, just don't want or need to see both CLs, I'm sure I have restarted the program a few times. Though I guess it could be like the firmware problem and hanging in some manner, I also restarted my computer though a couple times. I'll ping the CL if it is seen by the computer, I'll uninstall and reinstall the LocalStausPanel software.

Someday I'll setup a wireless hub and be able to monitor from inside, one of the reasons for the outlet in the power center.

I've always been amazed by people who constantly monitor their systems, that is the reason you have charge controllers. I like to check from time to time to see what stage they are in, but more for running opportunity loads, which I'll let the CL's start at some point. 

RossW

Quote from: Photowhit on July 07, 2013, 10:01:46 PM
I've always been amazed by people who constantly monitor their systems, that is the reason you have charge controllers. I like to check from time to time to see what stage they are in, but more for running opportunity loads, which I'll let the CL's start at some point.

There's a difference between MONITORING them and obsessing with them.
I monitor and log lots of stuff.
I don't look at it very often while I'm here UNLESS something goes screwy. THEN I want to know what, and what led up to it.
When I'm away, it's REALLY good to be able to look at things and tell the wife if she's going to have to let the generator run or not, or how long for, so she can work out washing etc.
3600W on 6 tracking arrays.
7200W on 2 fixed array.
Midnite Classic 150
Outback Flexmax FM80
16 x LiFePO4 600AH cells
16 x LiFePO4 300AH cells
Selectronics SP-PRO 481 5kW inverter
Fronius 6kW AC coupled inverter
Home-brew 4-cyl propane powered 14kVa genset
2kW wind turbine

stuman

I'll have to look for that.  I'm still not able to unlock after numerous updates to the software.

Quote from: boB on June 14, 2013, 11:10:16 PM

You can also install the "LOCK" jumper located behind the main power terminal block to
unlock the Classic from needing the local app serial number password.

boB
Midnite Classic 150, Talesun 240 watt X 15 = 3.6kw.  232 ah 6  volt golf cart batteries x 16 = 464 ah @ 48 volt. MagnaSine 4448 inverter.  Grid connected (as opposed to tied...grid is my backup, but I don't ever feed it).