can my system accept a second battery pack?

Started by BAndrews, June 09, 2016, 08:13:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BAndrews

A relative bought a package from a very decent company a few years back.  I've been press-ganged into setting the system up   :-).  Some of the goodies:

(eight) Solarworld, 265W panels, Sunmodule Plus, Black/Black Mono 2.5, SW265 W (the numeral eight in parenthesis was acting oddly)
(4) Rolls Surrette 6v, 400 AH S530 S-530 WET
(1) Midnite Solar classic 150
(1) 4 Star Solar MS4024PAE Single Magnum inverter

System is wired for 24V.  Zipcode is 32440.

Is this system strong enough to power a second 24 volt battery pack wired in parallel with the original?  If the system will accommodate another battery pack, can the new battery pack be a slight mismatch on specs?  The Rolls S530 is no longer available so I was wondering about a slightly bigger Rolls or Crown 24V pack.....

Sure would appreciate any advice.
4 Star Solar power center w/4KW Magnum inverter, (2) Midnite Solar Classic 150,  3.5 KW PV [(eight) Solarworld 265W, (4) Solarword 345W],  S550 (24 volt) Rolls Surrette battery bank.

Syonyk

How are you planning to set the panels up?  I don't think you can do 4 in series with the Classic 150 for voc reasons.  Two in series, 4 of those strings in parallel?

You can probably wire a second pack in parallel, but it's going to be difficult to keep everything happy.  Lead acid doesn't parallel well with different cells or even different ages of a certain battery.

BAndrews

Quote from: Syonyk on June 09, 2016, 10:33:42 PM
How are you planning to set the panels up?  I don't think you can do 4 in series with the Classic 150 for voc reasons.  Two in series, 4 of those strings in parallel?

You can probably wire a second pack in parallel, but it's going to be difficult to keep everything happy.  Lead acid doesn't parallel well with different cells or even different ages of a certain battery.

Hello! 

I should have provided more detail on the layout.

The system has four panels per pole mount ...... and two pole mounts.  As you surmised, each group of two panels is wired in series producing about 60 volts.  Then four of these strings in parallel.  The system was running yesterday for the first time on six panels (waiting on wiring for panels seven & eight).  It's a beautiful thing to see.  Amazing.  Flawless.

The owner really wants a second battery pack but it sounds problematic.  Is there somewhere that would accept these batteries in partial trade on a matching eight-pack?  I don't know if these types of things come up very often.

4 Star Solar power center w/4KW Magnum inverter, (2) Midnite Solar Classic 150,  3.5 KW PV [(eight) Solarworld 265W, (4) Solarword 345W],  S550 (24 volt) Rolls Surrette battery bank.

russ_drinkwater

You can do as I will be and have a isolator switch to change feed from reg to each battery pack for now until you get something sorted.
Four positions 1. off 2. bank one 3.bank two 4. both banks
Have a similar problem here, but I think I will run one reg to each bank as I have two 150's here and switch between banks on the feed to the inverter as needed. One bank for during the day (smaller 870 amp) and bank two for night time (2700 amps @ 24 volts).
A tad messy but wife can handle it then it is all good!
Standalone. 20 Hyundai x 220 watts panels, 2 x classic 150's, Latronics 24 volt 3kw inverter, Whiz bang Jnr, 12 Rolls surrete  4KS 25P  batteries and WBJ.
Grid tie feed-in, 12.5 kw in 3 arrays generating 50 kws per day average. Solar river grid tie inverters