how to get absorb time info

Started by elesaver, September 16, 2016, 10:06:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elesaver

I'm interested in monitoring the absorb time information of my system.  Yes, I know you can go to "charge, charge time, view" but that doesn't seem to tell what I want to know.  After the absorb time has completed (if it completes) the time resorts back to the programmed time.  If I'm not there to see what's going on, I don't know what has been done.

Example:  ABS time set at 2 hours; I see that ABS has activated; when I check at the end of the day, under charge time view, the ABS time is back to 2 hours.  Why isn't that 0:00 to show that the full 2 hours has been spent in absorb?

There must be a way to check all of the functions that the controller has initiated and how long for each one.  I'd like to know how to do that...if there is one.
System 1:  CL 150, 6 (300W) Axitech panels, VFX 3524, mini-dc disconnect.  WBjr, 24V Forklift 938 aH.
System 2:  CL 150, 6 (300W) panels, baby box
Classics wired to "follow me"

Vic

Just lost a post,  again ...

You can see the Absorb time by scrolling through the Log page.  If there has been reversions back to Bulk,  during Absorb,  this Log view will be tedious and inaccurate,  due to low resolution.

I too wish that the actual Absorb time was retained in the Charge > Time > More page,  and not revert to the time set.

The Local App probably has a screen that does show the Absorb time for the day,  when Absorb has finished

As an aside,  sure DO wish that there was an MNGP Log display of the all-time HIGH Voc.

FWIW,   Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

elesaver

Thanks, Vic.  I'll have a look at that.  I do check the electrolyte SG quite frequently but seeing the actual time in ABS would
be beneficial.
System 1:  CL 150, 6 (300W) Axitech panels, VFX 3524, mini-dc disconnect.  WBjr, 24V Forklift 938 aH.

mike90045

I just assume that reaching float, means I achieved the desired absorb time.   that doesn't count if clouds and loads cycled it 2x in a day though.
http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar

Classic 200| 2Kw PV, 160Voc | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph )| Listeroid 6/1, st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | midnight ePanel & 4 SPDs | 48V, 800A NiFe battery bank | MS-TS-MPPT60 w/3Kw PV

ClassicCrazy

It is pretty easy to see what is going on using the graphs on Mymidnite . You can use the mouse to hover over the graph and it will tell you which state of charge it was in - and also you can see when it went to float. If you are in absorb and have a big load it might set it back to Bulk , but then when voltage climbs back to Absorb it starts running again. Much easier to see everything going on with the graphs and on Mymidnite you can select exactly which fields you want to show in the graph and then change them to add more.

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

elesaver

I do not have wi-fi access to do much with software for these classics.  If I am remembering, the mymidnite is a free downloadable software but without wi-fi or a laptop, I don't see how I could use it.  Wish I could.

Westbranch

with a cheaper used W7  laptop you can use the Local (Status) Application directly plugged into your Classics, no need for Wifi if you dont have it...  ;)  :)
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

Vic

Quote from: mike90045 on September 16, 2016, 09:50:41 PM
I just assume that reaching float, means I achieved the desired absorb time.   that doesn't count if clouds and loads cycled it 2x in a day though.

This IS true,  but,  let us say that the system that is using the Classic is using EA.  YES,  if Float has been reached,  the Absorb time,  that resulted in reaching the set EA,  has been achieved.

BUT,  still,   I would like to know,   retrospectively,  using the MNGP,  just what WAS that Absorb time.

Pouring over the Log data can give a fairly good idea,  within about 20 minutes what the Absorb time was,  unless there has been variable sun.  Then,  not only is pouring over the Log date more tedious,  it will often be an exercise in futility,  due to the resolution of the data.

Trying to find a good EA value,  particularly on infrequently-attended sites can be fairly difficult without some better idea of the Absorb time.

High resolution WBjr battery charge current,  would be even more useful for determining a good EA value ...

And so on ...   Vic

Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: Vic on September 23, 2016, 08:06:06 PM
Quote from: mike90045 on September 16, 2016, 09:50:41 PM

This IS true,  but,  let us say that the system that is using the Classic is using EA.  YES,  if Float has been reached,  the Absorb time,  that resulted in reaching the set EA,  has been achieved.

BUT,  still,   I would like to know,   retrospectively,  using the MNGP,  just what WAS that Absorb time.

Pouring over the Log data can give a fairly good idea,  within about 20 minutes what the Absorb time was,  unless there has been variable sun.  Then,  not only is pouring over the Log date more tedious,  it will often be an exercise in futility,  due to the resolution of the data.

Trying to find a good EA value,  particularly on infrequently-attended sites can be fairly difficult without some better idea of the Absorb time.

High resolution WBjr battery charge current,  would be even more useful for determining a good EA value ...

And so on ...   Vic

Vic -  how about a program that could take the data from the Classic and pinpoint the ending amps . Seems like that shouldn't be too hard for some programming whiz to accomplish.  It would have to look at the time  period that the current starts to level off.

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Vic

ClassicCrazy,  said,  "Vic -  how about a program that could take the data from the Classic and pinpoint the ending amps . Seems like that shouldn't be too hard for some programming whiz to accomplish.  It would have to look at the time  period that the current starts to level off.

Larry"

Yes,  Larry,  this should be OK.   Being able to record the rate of change of battery charge current (verses time),  with good resolution would be nice.   One can do this by observation during the last part of Absorb,  but,  often one is not available or even present at the subject site during this important time.

Some of the sites here,  have NO computer available,  unless one is taken to the site (as has been done when Updating Classics is needed).   Grudging Internet access is usually available at each site.

Also,  unfortunately,  the magnitude of loads on the system will change Vabs,  as seen by the battery,  this changes the charge current,  which,  then affects the length of Absorb,  by causing changes in the battery voltage,  and therefore the battery current/EA.

On one system,  there is a 10 K BTU A/C for the power room.  This is the largest variable load on the system.  Just from voltage drops in 6 feet of #6 AWG cable,  plus the voltage drop of the CC's output breaker,  this can create about 0.500 V of variable voltage drop,  due to this A/C.  This has a significant effect on the battery current.    If one is present to change the A/C's temperature setting,  or,  to perhaps shut off the A/C during the end period of Absorb,  this fairly large variable voltage drop could be accommodated.

Having CCs with Voltage Sense leads,  would also alleviate this situation ...  (hint,  hint ...).

Another approach,  is to guess the high temperature for the site for that day,  and set the A/C's thermostat,  to assure that the A/C will always cycle On and Off during the time of day that one guesses that Absorb may need to finish ...   yep,  a lotta guessing.

Obviously,  in lieu of Sense leads,  there could be an external monitor/controller that could control the A/C's thermostat,  when the EA setting is being approached.

Fixed time for Abs does not work particularly well,  and the A/C's demand is 24/7,  and is quite variable,  so the DOD of the battery bank varies considerably from one day to the next,   and so on.

FWIW,  Thanks!   Vic

ClassicCrazy

Interesting Vic.
Seems like the AC needs to be controlled if not primarily but maybe along with an AUX contact that can shut it off at appropriate time. But if cooling is critical load then they should be glad they have you to figure it all out !

I found that using the MyMidnite graphs is a good way to spot the ending amps point by watching when the current starts to level off and then confirming with specific gravity of the battery .

I have had to readjust my ending amps - maybe due to some of the things you mentioned and other battery conditions like temperature .

I was thinking maybe something like a raspberry pi could capture the data and analyze it without the need for internet connection. I am not skilled enough yet to set up something to capture the data or analyze it but I am learning . So maybe one of these days.

Larry
system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable