Not exactly a FW update problem or is it?

Started by Westbranch, March 31, 2017, 11:52:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dgd

Of course you are doing all this firmware updates on your 'asleep' Classic? so your RE system is working normally  :)

dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

Westbranch

Of course.... NOT.....  :o  ....  that would take the spice out of life  ;)  out here in the land of (still)  ice and snow... ???    8)

DGD, you must have telepathically conversed with my SWMBO  ... She was all upset that she did NOT have 'HER' screen to look at and 'KNOW' that her battery  was charged or not.... ::)

Today: I located an old Netgear router  and reset the FW and found that I could see the BRIDGE with it on my W7 laptop...  so went back to the ASUS router,  reset it, again  and I could see the Bridge...  but so far no contact..... but I am digging still.... with clear ORDERS not to knock out the web connection as 'one of my fav. Brit series is on tonight....
I am concentrating on how to set up a LAN out here,  yet it appears that I will have to WEP the whole setup... and that means I can not 'hide' my SSID.... damn... I like stealth mode!

KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

ClassicCrazy

I use old Linksys WRT54g type  wifi routers and reflash them with DDWRT firmware . They are very stable and have a lot of options for bridging, and working as client , as well as Access point.  You can usually find them free or cheap but make sure to look at exact version number because some have same model number but 8 versions and some are not compatible. But  DDWRT has database of all supported routers. I have a newer dual band Netgear router that I found Tomato firmware for and that works well too.

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Resthome

Quote from: Westbranch on April 15, 2017, 09:59:36 PM
Of course.... NOT.....  :o  ....  that would take the spice out of life  ;)  out here in the land of (still)  ice and snow... ???    8)

DGD, you must have telepathically conversed with my SWMBO  ... She was all upset that she did NOT have 'HER' screen to look at and 'KNOW' that her battery  was charged or not.... ::)

Today: I located an old Netgear router  and reset the FW and found that I could see the BRIDGE with it on my W7 laptop...  so went back to the ASUS router,  reset it, again  and I could see the Bridge...  but so far no contact..... but I am digging still.... with clear ORDERS not to knock out the web connection as 'one of my fav. Brit series is on tonight....
I am concentrating on how to set up a LAN out here,  yet it appears that I will have to WEP the whole setup... and that means I can not 'hide' my SSID.... damn... I like stealth mode!

Sounds like you have a router and a bridge in your configuration?  I would simplify your network by taking the router to the Classic. Connect a short cable from Classic to a router port. Then take another short cable from another router port and connect to your laptop. Set the router for DHCP mode and set the Classic for DHCP mode. MIdNite says to reboot the Classic after changing network settings. If the router has LEDS on the ports can you see activity? Did the Classic obtain an IP from the router? If you want to stay with the Static IP you have set on the Classic first I would try to go into CMD mode and ping the Classic's Static IP.  Report back your finding for each step.
John

10 x Kyocera KC140, Classic 150 w/WBJr, Link10 Battery Monitor, 850 AH @ 12v Solar One 2v cells, Xantrex PROwatt SW2000
Off Grid on Houseboat Lake Don Pedro, CA

boB

Quote from: Resthome on April 01, 2017, 06:46:22 AM
Quote from: ClassicCrazy on April 01, 2017, 12:46:07 AM

Otherwise don't you need to plug the Classic into a router via network cable and then use program like Local Status app to connect to it ? And then you can use Classic menu to set it to either DHCP or a static IP .

Actually most newer laptops you can plug the Ethernet cable from the Classic directly into the laptop and run the LA. The IPs have to be setup but it does work.

Yes, this is what I know too.  Gotta be in the same domain area as the Classic.  Static IP I believe.  The network card should take care of turning the Ethernet connection into a null-modem type automatically...

As for the non-AVG false reports of a virus, I find the browser to be the problem with the messages of "unsecure connection"....  I find myself having to actually use Microsoft Internet Explorer once in a while.  I need to replace Fire Fox browser with something else.  I also use Google Chrome sometimes but even it has unsecure connection problems that I can't seem to bypass once in a while. 

Technology a lot of times appears to be going backwards these days instead of forwards as I see it.

I also never use AVG (anymore) or Mcaffee or Norton (Symantics) because they show too many false reports.
I DO use Malware Bytes all the time now as well as No-Script addon and Microsoft Defender.

https://www.virustotal.com/  is a great site where you can run a file through, like, 53 anti-virus scanners all at once
on their dime to get an idea of who calls what a virus.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Westbranch

IIRC last Wednesday, there were Security updates for MS W7  and XP , Firefox  and Thunderbird, maybe more , I was not paying attention to the Auto-update Details..  but since then there have been no pesky messages pop up on my W7 machine...

Will have to watch for the next ones...

15: 04.... whoops, maybe I typed too soon... I just got an auto-update note from Thunderbird... ???

will get to it
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,

russ_drinkwater

The classics work fine straight from the factory (assume most of mine are fairly new) and I do not feel confident to upgrade.
So I left sleeping dogs lay and the free power keeps flowing!
Do not get me wrong it may be great with upgraded software, but where I live the dramas appears not to be worth it.
Hope you get a win!
Standalone. 20 Hyundai x 220 watts panels, 2 x classic 150's, Latronics 24 volt 3kw inverter, Whiz bang Jnr, 12 Rolls surrete  4KS 25P  batteries and WBJ.
Grid tie feed-in, 12.5 kw in 3 arrays generating 50 kws per day average. Solar river grid tie inverters

Westbranch

Russ, power keeps flowing just not the data to the viewer...

Larry/Classic Crazy suggested a more powerful/ faster/versatile router and I'm investigating...
things are looking up...

Resthome

Quote from: Westbranch on April 17, 2017, 05:16:23 PM
Russ, power keeps flowing just not the data to the viewer...

Larry/Classic Crazy suggested a more powerful/ faster/versatile router and I'm investigating...
things are looking up...

I believe Ryan has a Network video  that walks you through hooking the Laptop Ethernet directly to the Classic. Might want to review it so you can eliminated all the other network stuff an veryify that the Classic Ethernet is working correctly.
John

10 x Kyocera KC140, Classic 150 w/WBJr, Link10 Battery Monitor, 850 AH @ 12v Solar One 2v cells, Xantrex PROwatt SW2000

Westbranch

thanks John, I really had to dig  :( around to find it...  I thought it was called another name  ::)

Found it on the second pass.... :)

Re-viewed video and will start with a hardwire connection as Ryan did... that should eliminate the Classic itself as the issue...

If that isn't it, I think I might know where the issue is...

it's 1 of 3...  the cable, the internal (to Classic) connection, or the LAN setup...

1. since I could 'see' but not connect to the Bridge I suspect the LAN>Bridge setup... right now I suspect it's probably the password setup or a WEP/WPA security conflict .. 
Factory Reset coming up. :o

2. will also open the Classic cover and replace/& re-seat the cat5 cable

Also ordered a 100 foot Cat6 cable to run from the basement to the loft where Router and Sat Modem live to possibly speed things up a bit.

Back on site Friday nite... :)

dgd

Quote from: Westbranch on April 18, 2017, 07:53:38 PM
Also ordered a 100 foot Cat6 cable to run from the basement to the loft where Router and Sat Modem live to possibly speed things up a bit.

For the cost of that 30metre cat6 you could probably get an Ethernet bridge such as WET54G, wire it direct via half metre cat5 to the Classic and that would be a wifi connect to your router.
And a lot easier to install compared to pulling long cat6 through floors,walls and ceilings.

Dgd

PS. Will try not to mind control your wife again...
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

Westbranch

thanks DGD, I did just that a couple of years ago as you suggested, my sig line:> Linksys Wet54g Bridge NetGear DS104Hub... and now I will add a WRT54GL for an stronger router than the ASUS
and I got the cable for about the same as a 20 foot cable cost me a few years back...  ~$20 delivered, mind you it will take Can. Post ~ 2+ weeks to get it across the country from Montreal...
No problem with running the wire now! but the plaster finisher is coming early next month...

Reason for the cable: One of the issues Ryan, Andrew and I discovered was sub 1 sec. "jumps?" recorded with Wireshark when trying to get through the SatNet providers servers and then again in Digital Ocean where MM2 is Hosted.  I did not have problems with MM1 but they were shutting it down so attempted the change and Nada!
Andrew and I could not make 'heads' of it let alone 'tails'...  btw I tried MM2 before the 2126FW update and same old...
So I am hoping to gain a bit of speed internally if not externally, if that is even possible...If it is a no gain , I can re-purpose it for streaming the KNOWledge channel  to stop the 'spinning wheel'...

Resthome

Westbranch, 

Do you have Hughes Gen4 sat service? It's their fastest service. It would seem to me if MN1 worked for you and that moving to MN2 doesn't and the reason is related to ping times. Then something slowed the routing to MN2.  Still could be related to the difference in the tracert path that Hughes is taking to get there. More hops in the way. You could do tracert to both MM1 and MM2 and compare the hops and times. Can you logon to MM2?
John

Westbranch

No, I have Xplornet sat service.. we moved up from the basic last fall as there were too any slow moments especially with streaming....  We do have a Hughes modem... not the best I've heard... and it's a rental, would like to get away from that aspect if I could...

I will try sniffing the connection to both MN1 and MN2...  had not thought of comparing them. thanks.
Yes can log into my MN2 account but there is some sort of remnant that the 'system' believes that CC  it is still there but  does NOT show my Classic ...  going to blow that account away and start again..

Resthome

Quote from: Westbranch on April 19, 2017, 12:17:54 PM
No, I have Xplornet sat service.. we moved up from the basic last fall as there were too any slow moments especially with streaming....  We do have a Hughes modem... not the best I've heard... and it's a rental, would like to get away from that aspect if I could...

I will try sniffing the connection to both MN1 and MN2...  had not thought of comparing them. thanks.
Yes can log into my MN2 account but there is some sort of remnant that the 'system' believes that CC  it is still there but  does NOT show my Classic ...  going to blow that account away and start again..

I believe they are suppose to have a new sat in orbit testing due to go on line in Spring of 2017. If you are renting that modem I would try to get them update it to their current modem.

You might watch this You tube video to see what Xplornet is doing with it's tier system. And I believe IIRC Andrew said the data to MyMidnite2 is encrypted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sd-NgVkXzPE&t=846s

New Sat Info

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jp1Pj_ggrSU
John