Follow me ( synchronized charging)

Started by mahendra, January 22, 2018, 06:37:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mahendra

I wish midnite or someone who have experienced this issue advise accordingly.

My system consist of two classics functioning with follow me.However they don't seem to follow each other .infact my classic lite seems to have a mind of it's own. As a result charging is not synchronized.i done many factory restore ,updating to latest firmware and reboot yet the problem persist.I even put separate temp sensors just to verify it not the temperature sensor.

Is there something I am missing?
1.5kw on Midnite classic 150(whizbang jr.) networked 0.660kw on classic lite 200 ,180ah CALB Lifepo4 48v battery bank,123SmartBMS bms(top balanced) Outback vfx3648

ClassicCrazy

What firmware is on them ?
Have you tried doing a VMM or jumper reset on both of them and then restore the settings ?
I think I have heard that will put them back to running correctly in follow me  - like they need to get their brains cleared once in awhile.

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

KyleM

Taking this directly from the latest manual:

“Follow-ME” Charging coordination
Follow-Me will allow Classics to share charge stages, as well as Battery temperature info and Ground
fault coordination. Follow-Me also allows you to program a single Classic for Equalize charging and it
will instruct all the others to Equalize as well. You do need to set the Equalize parameters in each Classic.
For the Battery Temp sensor you will need one BTS only and it can be on any of the Classics.

The Follow Me function basically is just what it is called. The Classic will simply ask the Classic to its
right ―What do I do now‖ and this propagates around the loop continually. Whoever goes to Float first for
instance will simply tell everyone else it is time to go to float.
NOTE: Follow Me coordinates charge stage but the Classics will still vary in the amount of power
processed, Follow Me was not intended to make them all produce the same amount of current just
coordinate the stages

To be clear are you saying that one Classic will be in float and one will be in bulk for extended times?
Or is this a case where one charger will make a little bit more power than the other, yet they are mostly in the same charging stage?

-Kyle

ClassicCrazy

Thanks Kyle for explaining the Follow Me mode  so well. I have never used it but now I know how it works.
That makes sense that when in Charging modes that each Classic will do it's own thing which could vary due to individual wiring, etc.

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

mahendra

Yes exactly,one classic is in float while the other is in bulk .both has been set up for follow me since commissioning of my system like four years ago.it use to function well but now it don't.
1.5kw on Midnite classic 150(whizbang jr.) networked 0.660kw on classic lite 200 ,180ah CALB Lifepo4 48v battery bank,123SmartBMS bms(top balanced) Outback vfx3648

Westbranch

I would check ALL the settings and confirm that they are the same.... if they used to cooperate and now don't there is a ??? doing  ???? so that they don't sync anymore.   Could also be a bad connection or wire / cable that isn't snug...????
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: mahendra on January 23, 2018, 08:03:49 PM
Yes exactly,one classic is in float while the other is in bulk .both has been set up for follow me since commissioning of my system like four years ago.it use to function well but now it don't.

Did you try the hard reset on both of them  and see if that fixes the issues ?

Larry
system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable

mahendra

Yes ,but not the version using the jumpers.

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: mahendra on January 24, 2018, 04:24:27 AM
Yes ,but not the version using the jumpers.
Well if you do the VMM of holding the left and right arrows in while powering it up - I thought that does the same thing .  Guess it couldn't hurt to try the jumpers too but I understand that is a lot more difficult since the Classic covers need to be removed. I have thought in the past of bringing a switch outside the case so I wouldn't have to open it up . I have my MNGP remote and my arms are not long enough to reach 30 feet while powering up the Classic - ha ha .  And it seems like I do enough firmware updates and beta testing stuff that it would be handy to just be able to push a button to get  reset.

Larry
system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable

boB

You should not have to reset (VMM) the Classics but you will have to set them both up to be in Follow-Me mode in the tweaks menu.

This means you will have to take the MNGP remote display and plug it into the LITE temporarily to set it up that way (if you haven't already)

Then, you should check the Classic's  BLUE LED inside the Classic through the vertical air vents and make sure they are flashing a
very short "BLIP" and not staying on for 1 or so seconds.  They may blink and stay on for about 1 seconds once in a while but
if they always stay blue for a second or 2 then it may be that there is a problem with your Follow-Me cables.

What can make the cables wrong is if one or both of them have their end plugs installed backwards.

You can check a single Classic by itself by connecting its Slave jack to its Master jack  (the two bottom connectors in the
row of 3 phone jacks) and if its BLUE LED does a short blip, then that classic and the cable are good.
This way, you can make it easier to test the classic's setup for Follow-Me as well as the cable itself.

Lettuce know how it goes !   :)

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Vic

Quote from: boB on January 25, 2018, 02:43:31 PM
You should not have to reset (VMM) the Classics but you will have to set them both up to be in Follow-Me mode in the tweaks menu.

This means you will have to take the MNGP remote display and plug it into the LITE temporarily to set it up that way (if you haven't already)

Then, you should check the Classic's  BLUE LED inside the Classic through the vertical air vents and make sure they are flashing a
very short "BLIP" and not staying on for 1 or so seconds.  They may blink and stay on for about 1 seconds once in a while but
if they always stay blue for a second or 2 then it may be that there is a problem with your Follow-Me cables.

What can make the cables wrong is if one or both of them have their end plugs installed backwards.

You can check a single Classic by itself by connecting its Slave jack to its Master jack  (the two bottom connectors in the
row of 3 phone jacks) and if its BLUE LED does a short blip, then that classic and the cable are good.
This way, you can make it easier to test the classic's setup for Follow-Me as well as the cable itself.

Lettuce know how it goes !   :)

boB

Great tips,  boB,   as always.   Thanks!
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

Westbranch

For that tip alone this thread should be a STICKY.... don't know if Tom is still moderator or not..????
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

boB

Quote from: Westbranch on January 25, 2018, 03:39:44 PM
For that tip alone this thread should be a STICKY.... don't know if Tom is still moderator or not..????

Thanks WB and Vic...

Isn't all this mentioned somewhere else on the forum ?   Yeah, this one might have more info in one place so it
might be worth keeping somewhere.

KyleM or whoever may very well be able to put this in one of our FAQs or something ?

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

mahendra

Thanks for the info Bob .I tried all except the testing of the cables I was beginning to suspect the cables.Will try that out this weekend and post my findings