Well after kicking the ‘what battery’ ball around for a year I ordered...

Started by alyaz, September 14, 2018, 08:16:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alyaz

You ‘Rolls’ FLA guys... Are you only doing EQ’s when the difference in readings between cells are over .025-.030?  That’s the way I read the manual, but wondering about my interpretation.  I have been monitoring my cells at least once a month (since installed) and I often have a difference up to .020 between cells. Thanks.
3.3 kW solar. (1.5 kW Helios - MN Classic 150 CC; .8 kW CSun - MN Classic 150 CC; 1 kW Sharp - MN  Classic 250 CC); Magnum PAE-4024 Inverter, AGS, ARC, BMK. Whizbang Jr., Midnite Solar battery monitor, 5 Midnite SPD’s. 24V Rolls 4KS21P - 1105 a/hr FLA.  10 kW Perkins Diesel.

Vic

Hi Al,   very little time just now.

But  why not EQ now,  after a full charge?

Use an EQ voltage in the low end of the range.

Note the WBjr battery current,  once the Veq has been reached,   and note that WB current when you are very near the end of  the EQ,  and record these in your Logbook.

More later, Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

alyaz

Thanks Vic

Are we looking for anything specific, or just wise to note this stuff, regarding the Whizbang Jr current once the voltage EQ is reached and near the end of the EQ?  Thanks.
3.3 kW solar. (1.5 kW Helios - MN Classic 150 CC; .8 kW CSun - MN Classic 150 CC; 1 kW Sharp - MN  Classic 250 CC); Magnum PAE-4024 Inverter, AGS, ARC, BMK. Whizbang Jr., Midnite Solar battery monitor, 5 Midnite SPD’s. 24V Rolls 4KS21P - 1105 a/hr FLA.  10 kW Perkins Diesel.

tecnodave

Alayz,

Yes definitely do an e.q. now and do not let the s.g. readings deviate that much. One thing to note on tall batteries like yours is that stratifaction does occur in the acid mixture. It is important to let the batteries rest with little or no load after thorough charging before taking a s.g. reading.  Readings taken too early will show a deviation from the norm. My training in FLA batteries is that .020 variation in s.g. is you are headed for trouble.....   .050 difference you are in trouble now and immediate action will be required to save batteries.

I rely solely on s.g. readings to determine state of charge and log s.g. readings every two weeks including daily average usage  figures to determine needed action. I do not try to achieve "full charge" every day but do plan on "full charge" twice a week.  I e.g. weekly depending on weather but I do keep a regular cycle.

My Rolls-Surette S-530's were shipped out the door June 26, 2005 and now are 14 years old and doing just fine. I picked them up on the way to the scrap yard 6-7 years ago, dead at 0.05 volts for set of 4 and s.g. so low did not register.

I do have whizbang Jr.'s and Bogart Engineering battery monitors and their data is valuable and is logged as well. 

My other main bank are L-16 traction batteries from Interstate and they are 6-8 years old now and doing just fine.

It's all about maintaince. Most Batteries die from LOM!   Lack of maintaince.

David
#1 Classic 150 12 x Sharp NE-170, 2S6P, 24volt L-16 Rolls-Surette S-530, MS4024 & Cotek ,  C-40 dirv.cont. for hot water
#2 Classic 150 12 x Sharp NE-170, 2S6P, 24 volt L-16 Interstate,Brutus Inv.
#3 Kid/WBjr 4/6 Sanyo 200 watt multilayer 4/6 P
#4 Kid/WBjr 4/6 Sanyo 200 watt multilayer 2S 2/3 P

alyaz

Thanks gang.  I cleaned and re-torqued all the battery connections this morning and will do a solar EQ after I get to float.  I have been getting a full charge at least once a week and have been monitoring SG levels often.  That #2 cell has always been lower than the others right from the factory.  Anyway, I have been logging everything and have been keeping in touch with Steve at Rolls.  I am sure he cringes every time he sees an email from me... Definitely a helpful and patient person :)

Vic

Hi Al,

The earlier reference to noting the WB current  at EQ begin (after the Classic/s no longer show EQ-MPPT).   and close to the end if just for future reference.  This current will depend upon the EQ voltage (Veq) .  These could be of future interest for future EQs.  The higher is this current,   the greater the need that the battery needed EQing.    As in Absorb,   this current tapers,   as the EQ progresses.

We have always Temp Compensated the Veq on all banks here,   but for the past couple of years,  Surrette has implied that this voltage NOT be comped.  Not compensating Veq could well mean that the WB current could actually increase during the EQ,   as the battery heats. You might ask Steve Higgins about comping Veq  (I have not).

There always will be cells that differ a bit from others made on the same date.   This is just the way things go when doing basic manufacturing processes,  it seems.

It is good that you re-torqued connections and are monitoring SGs often.  Monitoring Flooded batteries  and looking for differences in behavior and trends is about the most important factor in long battery life,   as you know.

One of the large benefits in using Surrette batteries is their historically great customer support.  Am sure the Steve appreciates that you are paying attention to your batteries,   logging data,   and asking intelligent questions,   as you are.

Your batteries are large and tough.  They have thick plates,   and can tolerate reasonable EQing.  It is far better to EQa bit too often  that  not often enough.   The >result< for EQing less often than required is usually hard sulphation. Then a Corrective EQ might help remove some of this,   but this process is very hard on batteries.   You know all of this anyway.

Enjoy the Spring,   better solar days,   and the great new battery bank!

FWIW,    Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

alyaz