Classic 200 - AUX 1 stuck in ON

Started by dRdoS7, December 13, 2018, 04:54:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dRdoS7

Hi,

I've had this Classic since about Oct. 2012. It's been working well. It did go "home" from Oz in late 2017 due to some failure, and was repaired under warranty (glad it had a 5 year).

Yesterday I was wiring up AUX 1, which I haven't used since early 2017, to control a relay for 240V AC power to my Distiller, so it will only run when the battery > 90%. The relay turned ON when all connected, but it stayed ON when I set AUX 1 manually to OFF. I tested with a multimeter I found there was 15V DC whether AUX 1 was ON or OFF. The LED on the Classic indicates correctly though. When I move the jumpers from the left to the right, voltage goes to 0. But using a continuity tester, it shows open circuit when ON and OFF across AUX 1 terminals.

I thought: "Well, I can use the 15V DC to power a seperate controller, and that can operate the relay." So I wired that up, and it works fine. This morning I noticed I was getting "USB device not recognised" messages on the PC that monitors the Classic, running Local App. I have the Classic USB connected to the PC as well. Although I haven't updated the FW in a while, didn't see the need to disconnect it. I have now though! I should add that I was getting the occasional meesage (maybe once or twice a week?) previously. Messages have stopped. Also disconnected from AUX 1 to my controller: I don't want to stuff the Classic completely. I'll find another source of 12V DC.

What are my options? Can I just buy the board/s, without having to send the Classic home again? If so, how much $$ ?

The Classic is working perfectly ATM, apart from AUX 1. WbJr is on AUX 2, and that is fine also.

Thanks,

dRdoS7

FNG

Boy it sounds like something funny is going on with the control board, I would email support@midnitesolar.com for help.

All the issues you are describing live on the control board so worst case a new board should solve it but I would reach out to support first

dRdoS7

Hi,

Quote from: FNG on December 14, 2018, 10:06:42 AM
Boy it sounds like something funny is going on with the control board, I would email support@midnitesolar.com for help.

All the issues you are describing live on the control board so worst case a new board should solve it but I would reach out to support first

OK, I'll do that.

Thanks,

dRdoS7

boB

Yeah....  Control board issue most likely....  Maybe....  For sure. Probably

Does Aux 2 do the same or is it seem to be OK ?

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

dRdoS7

Hi,

Quote from: boB on December 14, 2018, 05:06:46 PM
Yeah....  Control board issue most likely....  Maybe....  For sure. Probably

;D

I received a reply already from MN. I can get a control board. Hopefully nothing else on it will fail while I'm waiting.

QuoteDoes Aux 2 do the same or is it seem to be OK ?

AUX 2 has WbJr connected, so didn't think to check.

Possibly it happened in Dec 2017 (or maybe it was Jan 2018) when we had a lightning strike that killed a few other electrics here. Strangely, it only killed a function on some of those devices, like a LAN port on a Digital recorder (eventually it died completely), LAN on a PC, and a modem that the WAN port died. The LCD screen on my inverter stopped working, then about 2 weeks later I noticed it had come back. That was weird!

Thanks,

dRdoS7

boB

The lightning could have had something to do with this.  About how long was the wire going to the distiller from the Classic ?

Wires can act like an antenna for that kind of thing and if strong enough can kill semiconductors connected to them. The relay contacts being somewhat isolated from the circuitry itself should help though.

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

dRdoS7

Hi,

Quote from: boB on December 15, 2018, 09:44:38 PM

The lightning could have had something to do with this.  About how long was the wire going to the distiller from the Classic ?

Wires can act like an antenna for that kind of thing and if strong enough can kill semiconductors connected to them. The relay contacts being somewhat isolated from the circuitry itself should help though.

The distiller wasn't connected to the Classic in any way. At the time it would have been plugged to either grid or inverter AC, and just runs via a plug-in timer (ATM at least).

Another device that was killed was the front gate video camera/intercom. Yet, there's plenty of devices that run off the same inverter that survived (other PCs, recorders, TVs, etc.). That was lucky. Hope the old adage about lighting is true!! ;D

Thanks,

dRdoS7

boB

Quote from: dRdoS7 on December 17, 2018, 09:33:29 PM
That was lucky. Hope the old adage about lighting is true!! ;D

Thanks,

dRdoS7

Sorry Dr.

It does.   :)
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me