Network help with 2 250's

Started by Trukinbear, October 23, 2019, 01:03:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boB

That bit about holding down the left arrow key and tapping the up or down button could probably be shown a bit better in the manual.

Maybe using bullet points or putting HOLD and TAP in BOLD:)

Did the tech on the phone show or tell you approximately where in the manual to look for this address change ??  That might have been a good helpful starting point.

I ~think~  that the Classic's temperature sensor might not mean anything when using the SMA Sunny Island ?  The S.I. is the controlling unit in these systems and the Classics are just slaves.   It has been quite a while since I have played with the SMA-Classic system.

The Ethernet for each Classic must be installed for each Classic to be seen by the Local App and/or My Midnite to work since the phone cable is only for the SMA CANBUS interface to the Classics.

So sorry for that confusion.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Trukinbear

Thank you Bob!

No, they just told me that the documentation that came with my MODBUS/CANBUS adapter was complete, and would tell me everything I needed to know. Not exactly what I consider customer service, nor tech support. Also I was just a hair snippy when I was reading thru posts trying to find my problem, and it appeard that someone from MidNite replied to them, often within minutes.... and this was my 2nd post about my problem and nobody from MidNite appears to care.

Something saying each Classic needs to have it's own Ethernet connection might have been nice... one assumes (I know never assume) that networked devices share their connection to the Internet. UG... I don't know if I can get another cable in the conduit without pulling ALL of them out first. Don't know if it's worth the effort to shut my system down and pull all the wires out of the wall. :-(
SMA Solar Sunny Island SI6048
JA Solar 330W 72 cell panels (18)
Classic 250 (2)
MODBUS/Canbus comm adaptor for Sunny Island
SMA-OG E-panel
WhizBang Jr
MNSPD300V (3)
Atkinson GSCM mini-i
Onan Quiet Diesel QD-8000
200Ah (soon 600) Aolithium LiFePo4 51.2v
Off the grid on the PNW coast

Trukinbear

The biggest problem with the tech support I received is that the information I needed wasn't in the document they referred me to.... Was in the main manual (which I didn't receive. just a quick start guide) not the supplement for the SMA communications adapter.
Classic 250 (2)
SMA-OG E-panel
WhizBang Jr
MNSPD300V (3)
Atkinson GSCM mini-i

boB

I don't know if we print out the entire manual these days or if it still comes on a CD/DVD ?

To be fair, I suppose, this post had only been here for one day.  (not to be confused with your phone call)

I have an idea for your Ethernet cable issue... 
Get a small Ethernet switch (cheap, maybe $15 ?) and use that to split up the one Ethernet cable you have already run out to two shorter cables that can connect to the two individual Classics.

This switch looks OK...  Sorry, long link.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07S98YLHM?aaxitk=kT1T8NOFcrrI2mrQhDZ-vg&pd_rd_i=B07S98YLHM&pf_rd_p=44fc3e0f-4b9e-4ed8-b33b-363a7257163d&hsa_cr_id=4389511700601&sb-ci-n=asinImage&sb-ci-v=https%3A%2F%2Fm.media-amazon.com%2Fimages%2FI%2F71V96zjkizL.jpg&sb-ci-a=B07S98YLHM

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Trukinbear

You are correct this post had only been up for a day - it is cut and paste from my other post that somehow ended up in FAQ - that when it didn't get any views (to speak of) I deleted, and reposted it here.
Classic 250 (2)
SMA-OG E-panel
WhizBang Jr
MNSPD300V (3)
Atkinson GSCM mini-i

Trukinbear

In my boxes were a quickstart guide (just the basics) and a DVD (screens & USB programming cable also). I drove 76 miles to the library in Eureka to find a machine that still had a DVD drive, only to find the manual appears to be several versions out of date, with no mention of any of the newer features. I DID find the manual online to be current - wish I'd started out there. Paper manuals are so nice to have (but understandably difficult to keep current in old stock on the shelves)... so are basic diagnostic and troubleshooting guides - though I guess once you've installed one of these properly, the rest fall in line fairly easily. It would have taken me quite some time to come up with the idea (which I recently had) that perhaps each unit needs a connection, though that still seems quite counter intuitive - I'm glad I don't have 4 of them as the bundle of cables that would be exiting that 1" nipple in the last unit into the e-panel would be quite someting. Perhaps sharing of one cable to the router might be an upcoming update?

I do see the 2nd unit (#11) online, and on the local app now - thank you. As for my other issue, we'll see.

Oh, and I'm quite sure the Sunny Island pays no attention to the Classic #10's BTS, as it went wacko and logged battery temps in the 55C range during an equalization charge, and the Sunny Island (with it's own BTS) didn't reduce either the voltage, or current - the battery wasn't even warm to the touch.

Thank you for your help
Classic 250 (2)
SMA-OG E-panel
WhizBang Jr
MNSPD300V (3)
Atkinson GSCM mini-i