News:

To visit MidNite Solar click this link www.midnitesolar.com

Main Menu

Spectro Acoustics

Started by onanparts, February 07, 2012, 07:59:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boB

Sorry to hear that fuse blew !  It may mean that the output transistors are bad OR it might just
be a bad fuse.   The schematic for the 202's amplifier module can be found here...

http://k7iq.midnitesolar.com/Spectro-202-scamp-BW.gif

You might take an Ohm meter and compare against the two channels and see if you
can find that the output is shorted or whatever, or, find another 5 amp fuse and
put it in and see if it blows again.  If it doesn't blow, check the output for DC coming out.
Shouldn't be more than around 0.1 volts DC or so with nothing connected.  Make sure
there is no speaker connected when turning it back on though.

If you are uncomfortable doing this, then I can take a look at the module and see if it
is broken or not.

Also, some of the 75 volt filter capacitors would go bad on those amps after a while.
Sometimes it was just the connection on the cap.  You should measure around + and -
68 volts DC with respect to the middle (ground/minus) with good caps.

boB

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

JimPat

CDN-VT: thank you, I may take you up on that offer !!

boB: thanks for the quick reply, I will try my best to follow your instructions. If I can't get it I will get the amp to you when it's convenient for you. I would like to post some pictures here but I'm having troubles, they are too large, i will find a way so everyone can see the 202 amp and the 101B preamp I've acquired. Love them !! I've got pictures of the insides as well, is there a way to get them to you if I can't post them here ?
Thanks again
J

Westbranch

if you area using Microsoft picture viewer there is an option ubder VIEW I bekeive to resize the pictures, be sure to do this operation on a COPY of the original and then you will be able to post them...

KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

onanparts

Yesterday Robin was kind enough to let me scan some of the Spectro Acoustics history from his archives. Thanks again Robin!  :)

Pictured here is very early sales literature from near the beginning. I forgot to ask Robin if he remembered what year? 1973, 74, 75?

SDR2 was a partner back then and it states: Manufactured for Spectro by Rob-Ken Audio Products.

From post #5 by Robin in this thread.

When Ken and I started Spectro, one of our first products was the RobKen 2123. The model number came from our ages.

So here it is, most likely the earliest printed literature available on Spectro.  :)

I got the deluxe kit, it had a solar cell and a meter.

Midnite B17-10. 50kW Cont. 150kW Surge... Me/Myself/And/I

onanparts

Now for the first time ever seen....as far as I know by anyone outside of Spectro Acoustics.

THE ROCK! The 600R Prototype Spectro Amp that unfortunately never saw the light of day until now.  :o

This was going to be the 500R's big brother. Massive heat sinks! It was very close to being completed when Robin and boB moved onto other projects. Maybe someday boB will have the time to bring this beast to life, but Midnite has his undivided attention with their numerous projects so it may be awhile, if ever. But I will try twisting his arm now and then about it.  :)

onanparts

The rear view. The WARNING is a nice touch.  :)

TomW

Quote from: onanparts on January 17, 2015, 04:04:17 PM
The rear view. The WARNING is a nice touch.  :)

Yeah, much more classy that "No User Serviceable Parts Inside" ;D
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

boB

It was great having you out here yesterday.

I would LOVE to see one of those heatsinks on an MPPT charge controller !

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Robin

We did have a good day Friday with Onanparts. He got a full days worth of MidNite and Spectro earfuls. We started Spectro in 1973 by the way.
I really would like to see the ROCK play music some day. Bob isn't too far off with his statement of massive heatsinks on a charge controller. We are working on that now.
Robin Gudgel

onanparts

Enjoyed looking through the Spectro archives and of course being exposed up close and personal to see products not just "assembled" but actually "designed" and "manufactured" right here in the good old U.S of A. !  :)

Speaking of Spectro archives....here are some more goodies.

onanparts

A few more more.....

onanparts

And a couple more...

onanparts

Lab Report on the Spectro P-202 Amp. June 1976.

onanparts

Very positive review.. ;D

onanparts

Just found a 200SR on epay for under a C note shipping incl. and took a chance. Listed as powers up but not tested. As I don't have one in the collection it will be a nice addition.  :)