"Reason For Resting:Watchdog WDT reset"

Started by Muskoka, March 04, 2020, 04:02:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muskoka

Was monitoring my system again today to find the ideal EA number, and a few hours into Absorb I hear the charge controller "ramp up"(built in fan), which I guess was it resetting, and I see the message in the post title in Grahams android app. Never seen this before, what could be the cause, and should I be concerned?

I lost all the data/progress for the day I guess, as it reset the timers and everything.

Classic  150 (rev 4)
Classic Rev: 2193
Network Rev: 2122
MNGP 2186

I did a factory reset after loading the firmware update a week ago, holding left and right buttons while powering up the controller.

Controller has been in service since March 2013.
Off grid - 24v System - Eco Worthy LiFePO4 12V 280ah x2 - Classic Lite 150 with MNGP wBjr - 1540w solar -  12v System - Antra Power 12v 210ah LiFePO4 - Morningstar Tristar MPPT 60 - 820w Solar - Honda / Firman generators

boB

If in the TWEAKS menu, Auto-Reset or A-Rst I think it is is enabled, then every night at around midnight, the Classic will reboot.

You can turn that off if you like.  It was meant for extremely remote sites that would be hard to access if the network went down.

Do you know when the Classic rebooted if it was other than midnight ?
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Muskoka

It happened mid afternoon in the middle of an absorb cycle.
Off grid - 24v System - Eco Worthy LiFePO4 12V 280ah x2 - Classic Lite 150 with MNGP wBjr - 1540w solar -  12v System - Antra Power 12v 210ah LiFePO4 - Morningstar Tristar MPPT 60 - 820w Solar - Honda / Firman generators

Resthome

Quote from: Muskoka on March 04, 2020, 04:02:35 PM
Was monitoring my system again today to find the ideal EA number, and a few hours into Absorb I hear the charge controller "ramp up", which I guess was it resetting, and I see the message in the post title in Grahams android app. Never seen this before, what could be the cause, and should I be concerned?

I lost all the data/progress for the day I guess, as it reset the timers and everything.

Classic  150 (rev 4)
Classic Rev: 2193
Network Rev: 2122
MNGP 2186

I did a factory reset after loading the firmware update a week ago, holding left and right buttons while powering up the controller.

Controller has been in service since March 2013.

I’m guessing this is what happed to you that may have caused the WDT reset.

There is an old bug if you leave the Classic MNGP reading data in the LOGS menu and the LA or probable also Grahams program the Classic will reset if the reads and write coincide. The work around is if you are monitoring logs on the MNGP. Make sure you are not running the LA or Graham’s app at the same time. And make sure not to leave the Classic in the LOG menu when finished and wanting to use the LA or Graham’s app.

Below is a old 2014 post from boB On the subject.

Thank you Kurt !

This sort of makes sense.....   Maybe...   Try This...

Power off the Classic and back on again.   Then, start reading the online logs as soon as you can and see if it starts
to reset again.   It may be that reading the logs right after it boots catches the Classic as it is writing a new data log data point and resets at the same time it is doing that and reading the logs from the local app.

The Classic should be saving to those logs every 5 or 10 minutes.   I think the latest firmware does it every 5 minutes but it used to be every 10 minutes.  If the read and write coincide, that may reset it, but I am not positive that will happen unless those logs are being constantly read from the MNGP logs graph screen.  At the moment, from the MNGP and writing logs in the Classic every 5 or 10 minutes will always reset from what I have found recently.

boB
John

10 x Kyocera KC140, Classic 150 w/WBJr, Link10 Battery Monitor, 850 AH @ 12v Solar One 2v cells, Xantrex PROwatt SW2000
Off Grid on Houseboat Lake Don Pedro, CA

mcsarge

So, I know I have seen this reset too since I started using Grahams tool and writing the Python version of the MODBUS-to-MQTT tool. The tool will continually read from the modbus of the classic and write the data into an MQTT subject. After 5 minutes of reading every 5 seconds, the system will slow down to every 5 minutes until another subscriber requests the fast data flow again.

My system is up on an island and I am sure that I am not on the "reading logs" screen of the MGNP - is it possible that this can happen anytime and not just when the logs are being written or are the logs written every so often in any case? Is there some way to determine that the modbus is busy and one should wait to do the reading? I am worried that having a service that continually reads from the Classic (even every 5 minutes) might impact it's normal function.

Matt
Off Grid Island in Ontario Canada (Beaverstone Bay)
Primary: Classic 150 + wbjr; 3s2p HES 270watt
Winter: SolarBoost 50 MPPT (into wbjr); 2 x Sharp NE-80EJEA 80watt
Pack: 4s2p ROLLS S6-460AGM 6V for 24V pack
Inverter/Charger: Trace DR2424
Call Sign: KG4EUF

Resthome

I run the LA and it’s storing readings form the Classic ever 2 second and i have never seen that cause a reset. The way I know to make it reset with the WDT error is to have the MNGP on the LOG Graph window and the LA on the Data menu trying to read and export the daily logs.  There may be other ways that it occurs but that is the one way that I am sure it will happen. As long also the MNGP is not on that LOG Graph menu I don’t see the WDT reset.  I don’t know how the LA differs between the Online data (every 2 sec)and the Daily data export but it happens with the Daily data export.
John

10 x Kyocera KC140, Classic 150 w/WBJr, Link10 Battery Monitor, 850 AH @ 12v Solar One 2v cells, Xantrex PROwatt SW2000
Off Grid on Houseboat Lake Don Pedro, CA

mcsarge

FNG

You said it happened mid afternoon, Is the clock set properly? I have seen people set them forgetting they are a 24hr clock not a 12hr clock then it reboots around noon

mcsarge

Mine have restarted at 11PM instead of midnight, as the DST makes the time off by an hour. Do you get this WDT for a normal midnight restart?

Matt

FNG

of my memory serves yes the watchdog timer is what boB used to do the reboot at 11:59:59

mcsarge

Quote from: FNG on March 06, 2020, 02:05:16 PM
of my memory serves yes the watchdog timer is what boB used to do the reboot at 11:59:59

DOH, nevermind :-)