How to Monitor Classic 200SL

Started by justinbowser, April 16, 2020, 12:32:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justinbowser

I have picked up a wireless router and I'm trying to get the ESP32 and it talking.  I can set up the router, I see it from my laptop but when I try to configure the esp32 with the routers SSID and Password it errors and complains about permissions on com7.  The only issue with the router is that there is no internet connected and it's IP address is on a different subnet than the ESP has.  Is there a way to assign a different IP address to the ESP32?  Mine always seems to come up with 192.168.43.80.
Justin B. - KI5GKD
Classic 200SL, 2.9 KW of Mission Solar panels
Samlex PST-1500-24W inverter
Specialized Power Systems 800 AH 24 V LiFePO4 battery bank (4x200)

ClassicCrazy

The router assigns the IP address to the ESP32 .
So when you connect to the esp to the router it should assign it an IP address if you have DHCP enabled.
How are you connecting to the ESP32 to change the SSID and password ? Using the flash tool or going to it's web address using your old hotspot method ?

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Graham

Quote from: justinbowser on June 06, 2020, 07:26:09 PM
I have picked up a wireless router and I'm trying to get the ESP32 and it talking.  I can set up the router, I see it from my laptop but when I try to configure the esp32 with the routers SSID and Password it errors and complains about permissions on com7.  The only issue with the router is that there is no internet connected and it's IP address is on a different subnet than the ESP has.  Is there a way to assign a different IP address to the ESP32?  Mine always seems to come up with 192.168.43.80.

It might be easier for you just to enable your original phone hotspot so you can browse to the ESP IP address to change the SSID/PW.
the other option is to boot the ESP with D15 connected to GND, the onboard blue led should flash indicating it's in Access Point (AP) mode, use your phone wifi setup and look for the "ModbusAdapter" wifi hotspot, connect to it using "ModbusAdapter" as the password and click the "configure page" to change the SSDI/pw to your new router, remove the D15 to GND and reboot.

The third option is to do a full reset by connecting D4 to GND, reboot to clear all settings, reboot again without D4 connected, then you can use the ESPFlasher "Send Config" to set the SSID/PW over the COM port.

Graham.
Off-Grid Island cottage, Lac Simon QC Canada
370 Ahrs @ 24V (4 8L16 batteries)
4 x 250watt panels on dual axis trackers http://tinyurl.com/hfpkgr5
Classic 150, Whizbang Jr.
Android Monitor: http://tinyurl.com/lomzq3s

justinbowser

Thanks, Graham, I'll try some of those when I get a chance.  I had tried it with "flasher.py" and that 's when I got the permissions type error on com7. 
Justin B. - KI5GKD
Classic 200SL, 2.9 KW of Mission Solar panels
Samlex PST-1500-24W inverter
Specialized Power Systems 800 AH 24 V LiFePO4 battery bank (4x200)

champracer29

Quote from: ClassicCrazy on May 13, 2020, 05:58:09 PM
you dont' need the arduino . you program the esp32 using a micro usb to usb cable like most phones use these days.  I forget but I think you need to hold down one of the buttons when you flash it with the code. I wrote what I did to flash esp32 in the forum on Grahams Classic Android app - I think that is where . There is an easy to use flash utility to flash it . I have to run back outside now but will have to look at the wiki for that project again  later.

Larry

Thanks, Larry for your help with everyone, I find this very informative. I am in the process of ordering those parts for two Midnite classic 150. There's no information on how to make this esp32 work with multi MPPT (more than one midnite classic). Any information point for me, please? Much appreciated!

David

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: champracer29 on December 22, 2022, 10:40:02 AM
Quote from: ClassicCrazy on May 13, 2020, 05:58:09 PM
you dont' need the arduino . you program the esp32 using a micro usb to usb cable like most phones use these days.  I forget but I think you need to hold down one of the buttons when you flash it with the code. I wrote what I did to flash esp32 in the forum on Grahams Classic Android app - I think that is where . There is an easy to use flash utility to flash it . I have to run back outside now but will have to look at the wiki for that project again  later.

Larry

Thanks, Larry for your help with everyone, I find this very informative. I am in the process of ordering those parts for two Midnite classic 150. There's no information on how to make this esp32 work with multi MPPT (more than one midnite classic). Any information point for me, please? Much appreciated!

David

David can you tell some more about your setup ?
Do you have ip hookup to them now ?
Yes you can get data for both of your Classics.  But you probably don't need to use esp32 to do it since the Classic 150's you can get the data out of them via ip to a raspberry pi.
So Classic 150 plugged into a router , the raspberry pi gets data from Classics via IP , then you can get the data from the raspberry pi .
The esp32 was used when something like the Classic SL model only had a serial port and no IP connections. I think that is how it went - I didn't reread this topic . But I am glad to help you get everything hooked up and working.
You can also get the data to Grahams Android app or use graphing programs running on a raspberry pi
https://github.com/ClassicDIY/ClassicMQTT
Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable