Heathkit All Tube Amatuer Radio Station 1960's

Started by onanparts, February 25, 2012, 03:27:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

onanparts

Not bad for a quick dusting off.
I got the deluxe kit, it had a solar cell and a meter.

Midnite B17-10. 50kW Cont. 150kW Surge... Me/Myself/And/I

niel

talk about feeling like a leprechaun as i'm turning a bit green with envy. nice find.

onanparts

Quote from: niel on March 16, 2012, 01:41:32 PM
talk about feeling like a leprechaun as i'm turning a bit green with envy. nice find.

Tomorrow will be a good day for some green.  :)

Looking forward to playing on the "magic band". 6 meters can be interesting just about anytime. This is what I use for audio input with the Heathkits, Electro Voice model 638.

onanparts

Still looking for the missing pics from this thread.....In the meantime I finally got started today rebuilding one of my Heath power supplies. A fairly simple updated board to replace the old caps, resistors etc. Nice big wide open spaces...no magnifying glass required! :) Even tired old eyes can slap this together.

onanparts

About 15-20 minutes tops. Hey, there was a few emails to check too! I think I remember how to solder stuff.....Ok boB, I'll use less next time.....

onanparts

Hamsters got this thing about putting their call signs on pc boards. :) The fun part is next. Removing the old guts from the base. The old external caps will go. Some like to leave them so the supply "looks" original but this one fits inside the SB-600 speaker case and you really don't see them anyway. New board with caps will fit inside the base and not be seen.

onanparts

Bottom side. Last step is yank the guts out and install new board. That might take a bit longer than 15-20 minutes...:)

boB

Quote from: onanparts on August 29, 2012, 01:04:13 AM
About 15-20 minutes tops. Hey, there was a few emails to check too! I think I remember how to solder stuff.....Ok boB, I'll use less next time.....

Looks like a perfect joint to me !!

Great to see you on  !

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

onanparts

Quote from: boB on August 29, 2012, 01:46:13 AM
Quote from: onanparts on August 29, 2012, 01:04:13 AM

Looks like a perfect joint to me !!

Great to see you on  !

Howdy boB! Busy summer but this afternoon I had a short break and noticed the box with the ps kit had a March 2011 postage date! Needed to take a "time out" from the world even if it was brief so I attacked the kit. The original ps is working fine but them thar caps etc. be getting on 42+ years now.......:)

boB

onanparts

Hey boB, do ya think I need a bigger iron? This one seems a little small for my current project......

boB

Quote from: onanparts on August 30, 2012, 01:30:05 AM
Hey boB, do ya think I need a bigger iron? This one seems a little small for my current project......

Nope !  Perfect !   We have one or two of those American Beauty's  here at MidNite, too.

I have bought a few larger irons at the Puyallup hamfest for a few dollars each.

That AB is much better than the big old ones though.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

onanparts

Those biG irons are great for getting the BBQ going too!

Had time yesterday for some more R n R and for the most part the updated supply is done. Need to tidy up the wiring etc. but no magic smoke escaped...:)

The five 100K resistors dissipate lots of heat and the early aftermarket design called for mounting them 1/8 off the board. Later instructions now say 1/4 due to some boards getting burnt etc. Parts list indicates they are 3 watt metal oxide but most I've seen are typically blue, boB? Anyway I watered them with some miracle grow and dang the next day they turned from brown to blue and grew much larger!

Actually I stopped by the local rat shack and right next to the cell phones and RC toys they had lots of 100K 3 watt metal oxide resistors overflowing from the bin! Nice big ones and since there is enough room in the supply chassis to park a large truck I went with the fatties. They are about 1 inch off the board with plenty of room to shed the heat.

First two pics old parts gutted.

onanparts

New board installed and wired up. No load voltage is right at specs of 350VDC +.

onanparts

Later I may put the old caps back in place just for original appearance but the kit comes with a cover plate I'll use for now.
The supply models over the years were HP-23, HP-23A, HP-23B & HP23C. The aftermarket kit is referred to as an HP23-D.

onanparts

This is where to get the kit: http://www.ultrawebb.com/OHP/

You have many options here. Fully assembled, boring! Kit form, better. Or just get the PC board only and use your own goodies from your spare parts pile, best! All the parts in the kit are available individually. Next on the list is new power cables. I have some NOS 11 pin connectors I found on epay along with some fresh cable. Some of the old cables are in sad shape after 40+ years and due for retirement.