News:

To visit MidNite Solar click this link www.midnitesolar.com

Main Menu

KID RF Hash

Started by Tobit, June 05, 2020, 01:57:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tobit

Vic, the KID just happens to be in REST because of a thunderstorm.  It is terribly dark here. 

Vic

OK,   is there any chance,   that the KID awakened,   and was producing a very small amount of power,   at the time of that pic?

If you shut off the PV input breaker,   and looked at 6M on the radio,   does the display look any different?

Thanks, Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

Tobit

Vic, the KID was "resting" for a good five minutes before I flipped the breaker to shut off the battery breaker.  I did not shut off the PV breaker in either pic.

ClassicCrazy

If you want to make your own 4 to 1  1 to 1 combination Balun  watch the 3 part series on TRX bench youtube . There is a lot of information packed in there - I had to watch them  a few times ! I built the combination this winter and it works well .
https://youtu.be/kMlKfHHR8FY

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Tobit

Larry, thanks!  I'm a lazy old goat but I will check it out.

Vic

Quote from: Tobit on June 05, 2020, 08:35:30 PM
Vic, the KID was "resting" for a good five minutes before I flipped the breaker to shut off the battery breaker.  I did not shut off the PV breaker in either pic.

Tobit,

It is always good practice,   to turn off the PV breaker,  before the battery breaker,   when powering down an MPPT CC,   and to turn on the battery breaker first,   then the PV breaker,  when powering up.

Some CCs can run,  just with the PV breaker on   â€¦   you still might try shutting off the PV breaker with the battery bkr on,   just to see what the radio screen looks like.

FWIW,   Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.

Tobit

Vic, how can I do that?  As soon as I do, the KID goes into REST because of no input?  I'm confused.

ClassicCrazy

yeah the Kid will stay on if you shut off the battery breaker first but the PV breaker is on and power to it.

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

ClassicCrazy

Tobit  -  Do you have your battery negative grounded ?

Larry
system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Tobit

Quote from: ClassicCrazy on June 05, 2020, 08:57:20 PM
yeah the Kid will stay on if you shut off the battery breaker first but the PV breaker is on and power to it.
Not here, KID shuts down instantly with the battery breaker off.  If I shut off the PV breaker, it goes to REST.

Vic

Quote from: Tobit on June 05, 2020, 09:00:14 PM
Quote from: ClassicCrazy on June 05, 2020, 08:57:20 PM
Not here, KID shuts down instantly with the battery breaker off.  If I shut off the PV breaker, it goes to REST.

First,   if you have some PV power available,   the KID might still operate with the battery breaker off,   just have never had the PV breaker on with the battery one off.

Second,   I was hoping that if you switched off the PV breaker,   with the battery breaker on,    that the KID would definitely be resting,   and then the view of the 7300  screen might reveal something ,   more.

Would think that the KID,   when in a normal rest,  to shut off the Buck Converter (the primary hash-maker),   and open its input relay,   and just sit there waiting for something to do.

Vic

Tobit

Vic, you are right.  Attached image is the radio with the PV breaker off and KID resting.  Still some spikes but a bit better.

Vic

OK,   Thank,  Tobit,

SO,  now,  wonder what that screen looks like,  when you shut off the battery breaker to the KID,  with the PV breaker still off?

Thanks,   Vic

Tobit

Vic, I posted that earlier..

Off, both PV and KID.  Silence!

Vic

YES you did,   sorry Tobit,

Did not pay enough attention   â€¦   nothing on the screen,   BUT,  that's cause there is no aerial connected   â€¦   duuuuuhhhhh   on my part.

So  it looks like there is s bit of stuff from the KID when it is Resting,   probably caused by its processor,   and perhaps a power supply,   housekeeping stuff.  This may be helped by some ferrites in the DC to the radio,   KID,   or both.

More later,   thanks for your rapid response.   73   please keep in touch,   VIc   kilo six  italy charlie   ..