Simple status access from Rpi3

Started by Frenergy, November 26, 2020, 02:27:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frenergy

Hi All,
I'm new to this board (but not MidNite and solar systems). In fact, I've got a very complex and custom system I built around an Rpi3 computer that I programmed via Node Red (Linux O/S).  The Rpi3 can monitor and control a ton of stuff since I was able to wire the house while it was being built. The Rpi3, the alarm system it runs, the whole home music system, etc.. is all run off the batteries, which the Rpi3 monitors (battery voltage only right now). The home cannot be entirely supported by solar as I have a small system (right now), so I pick and choose what uses the solar energy system. TheRpi3 will switch certain house LED ceiling lights to solar AC during a commercial power fail (and does soooo much more).

Anyway, as you can imagine this was all a TON of effort and I really don't wish to learn all about mod-bus right now (or any other new language or protocol). Is there ANY simple WAY to query my Midnite Classic via local LAN or USB to get current charge state info to my Rpi3?  I do not wish to change anything in the controller via this method, just get info from the controller.

TIA

ClassicCrazy

Did you see this project ?
It gets the data from Classic over IP using a Raspberry Pi. Then you can use Grahams Android Classic Monitoring app to get the data via either MQTT or direct via modbus.
http://midniteftp.com/forum/index.php?topic=4849.0

All the projects are here - there is also one that uses Esp32 to get the Classic modbus and can make another IP port for it. Otherwise the Classic can only do one IP connection at a time.
https://github.com/ClassicDIY

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Frenergy

Outstanding.  Thanks Larry, much appreciated.

BTW, do you think the code would work, or need much adjustment, to work on a NodeMCU with ESP8266?
Don't currently have ESP32.

ClassicCrazy

system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable