What just happened ? WDT reset and SOC loss

Started by Narrowboat boy, January 31, 2021, 08:40:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Narrowboat boy

Hi

My classic just made a whirring noise and reset itself for no apparent reason after which the SOC in local app is 5% lower than it was

What just happened and why ? And how do I recalibrate SOC to read correctly

Any help welcome

Regards
Off grid boater with 6 x 270w Perlight delta black panels , Midnite Classic 150 ,Whizbang Jr /
Victron Phoenix Multiplus 120/12/3000 inverter /charger combo , 5 x Victron 110 Ah Deep Cycle AGM Batteries , Honda 2.2eui back up gennie

ClassicCrazy

Do you have your clock set right ? I am just guessing one reason the Classic can reset it's self is there is a setting if turned on will do that midnight.
The SOC is entirely calibrated as to what you have set for capacity  of your battery, efficiency, and also will be dependent on the temperature of the batteries.
If the SOC is flashing you have to wait until batteries get full again to have it show accurately. I only see that happen after firmware upgrade.

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

boB

I agree with Larry to check the clock and Auto-Rst which should reset the Classic at 23:59 (I think that's the right minute ?)....

BUT, the SOC should have been very close as the software now (or for several years now) saves the SOC and remembers that when it reboots.

The WDT is the method that the Classic uses to reboot itself at that time.

So please check those settings and the clock to see if it makes sense that this is what may have happened.

Otherwise, Cosmic rays ?   :)  OK, unlikely but actually possible !   :D

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Narrowboat boy

Lol cosmic rays it is then , time is spot on , midnight reset is not set and after charging the batteries right up to the brim yesterday with a gen it is reading 6 % down on soc , problem is no easy way to recalibrate from what I can except waiting for a sunny day with enough daylight hours and let end amps do its thing and reset to 100% when it goes to float unless I am missing another way

Weird
Off grid boater with 6 x 270w Perlight delta black panels , Midnite Classic 150 ,Whizbang Jr /
Victron Phoenix Multiplus 120/12/3000 inverter /charger combo , 5 x Victron 110 Ah Deep Cycle AGM Batteries , Honda 2.2eui back up gennie

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: Narrowboat boy on February 01, 2021, 03:18:28 AM
Lol cosmic rays it is then , time is spot on , midnight reset is not set and after charging the batteries right up to the brim yesterday with a gen it is reading 6 % down on soc , problem is no easy way to recalibrate from what I can except waiting for a sunny day with enough daylight hours and let end amps do its thing and reset to 100% when it goes to float unless I am missing another way

Weird

yeah it has to go through full absorb cycle and go to Float to get back to 100% SOC.
You could always trick it by just lowering the absorb setpoint so it goes to float and it will go to 100% . But your batteries wouldn't be all the way full.
So what would be the point of that ?  Why do you need it at 100% now ?

Larry 
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Vic

Why not just remember the value you believe that the SOC is off,   and adjust by that amount until you get the next full-charge?

SOC values cannot be particularly accurate,   anyway,   as there are SO many variables,   in battery charging/discharging,    that no battery monitoring device can know,   and account for,  that SOC values are really only approximations.

IMO  FWIW,  Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

Narrowboat boy

Thanks for all the suggestions , I did the following as days at this latitude are still too short and weather too bad for a full days solar absorb cycle to 100% on its own , i ran the generator until end amps were getting close to the level I know is full , then switched over to an absorb solar cycle and when end amps were reached it flipped over to float and reset to 100% job done .

I am still concerned about not only why the reset happened in the first place but why 6% SOC disappeared in an instant  that is worrying esp if Classic is supposed to remember it .

thanks

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: Narrowboat boy on February 02, 2021, 10:08:42 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions , I did the following as days at this latitude are still too short and weather too bad for a full days solar absorb cycle to 100% on its own , i ran the generator until end amps were getting close to the level I know is full , then switched over to an absorb solar cycle and when end amps were reached it flipped over to float and reset to 100% job done .

I am still concerned about not only why the reset happened in the first place but why 6% SOC disappeared in an instant  that is worrying esp if Classic is supposed to remember it .

thanks

The SOC % capacity will change according to the battery temperature.  Not sure if I stated that correctly but as the batteries get colder the % of  available capacity is lowered in the SOC capacity to compensate for the cold.

Larry
system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Narrowboat boy

hi

Yes aware of that  , thats not it , The temperature although low at the moment is fairly stable so I am sure not a reason for 6% to wiped off within 3 seconds something very odd happening inside the Classic firmware me things , Bug maybe ?

ClassicCrazy

The SOC doesn't have anything to do with the charging so at least you don't have to worry about that . The SOC % is just to give you an estimate of what is going on with state of charge of the batteries. 

Larry
system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable

boB

The SOC is remembered BUT it is not updated continuously.    There are several minutes between saves as I remember.

That may account for the 6%  ???

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Narrowboat boy

Ok today more strangeness , my classic is set up for 3 skip days then a rebuilk , this morning it was in float as the sun came up as it should be but then the whirring sound followed by a blip of the fan coming on , a flash of blue led and it seems to have gone to rebuilk . I checked settings it should not have done that’s, also I understand blue led is for follow me ? I have only one controller and follow me is definitely not enabled .

Has my classic developed a mind of its own ? Is there an AI built in we don’t know about lol ?

Any ideas what’s going on , it has been faultless for 9 months now it’s gone loopy .

No loss of soc this time though

FNG

In no particular order
1- SOC is only saved on command before the auto reset at Midnite, Any other time of day it is saved every so often so that's why the 6% change
2- Reboots, I have seen this happen on some older firmwares, Is your firmware up to date?
3- As for going to bulk on the reboot, If that was a new day that would make sense if the 3 days of float are up other wise something is a little strange.

What I would do is update the firmware to the latest and do a factory restore, I have seen very weird behavior after an update if a factory restore is not done

Narrowboat boy

Thanks FNG

How do I tell what firmware rev I have ? My Classic was brand new in July so should latest firmware right ?

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: Narrowboat boy on February 06, 2021, 09:32:32 AM
Thanks FNG

How do I tell what firmware rev I have ? My Classic was brand new in July so should latest firmware right ?

You can read the firmware version on one of the MNGP screens or also using local status app if you use that.

Larry
system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable