Midnite Classic 250 switches between mppt bulk and resting

Started by Thai, January 20, 2021, 03:13:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thai

Hi boB,

It started to rain today (for the next few days) so I was not yet able to check out the board. But based on the image you sent for the R145, how do I measure? Where do I place the leads? Sorry for such a basic question, but I haven't done this on a circuit board before.

Thanks,
Thai

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: Thai on January 26, 2021, 08:04:38 PM
Hi boB,

It started to rain today (for the next few days) so I was not yet able to check out the board. But based on the image you sent for the R145, how do I measure? Where do I place the leads? Sorry for such a basic question, but I haven't done this on a circuit board before.

Thanks,
Thai

Put your meter in ohms mode - if it has ranges and not auto ranging meter put it on lower ohms scale. Touch your leads together first to make sure your meter is working and you are on ohms - you should see some number close to zero. Then  just measure the resistor with a meter lead on each side of the resistor .

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Vic

Quote from: Thai on January 26, 2021, 08:04:38 PM
Hi boB,

Thanks,
Thai

AND,   in addition to Larry' guidance,   the silvery ends of that resistor are its connection points.   Place either lead of the DMM one one end of the resistor,   and,   the other lead on the other end  (there should be very little difference in the resistance readings if the leads are reversed),   and wait for the reading to stabilize.   Those two thru-holes,  one at each end of the resistor may well be its connection to the PCB.   But,   if possible place the DMM probe tips on the silvery ends of the resistor.

IMO,  Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

Vic

Quote from: boB on January 25, 2021, 07:19:30 PM

Thai's problem has nothing to do with bad PV connections.   A bad PV connection will not cause the input voltage NOT to drop when the controller sweeps.

I will put a picture of the PCB of the resistor to measure, Thai.  Give me just a few minutes.

YES,   Thanks boB,   would normally say,  "what was I thinkin',   but obviously,  NO thinking was involved in that Post,   sorry for any distraction in that poorly-reasoned statement.

Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

boB

Quote from: Vic on January 27, 2021, 10:15:35 PM
Quote from: boB on January 25, 2021, 07:19:30 PM

Thai's problem has nothing to do with bad PV connections.   A bad PV connection will not cause the input voltage NOT to drop when the controller sweeps.

I will put a picture of the PCB of the resistor to measure, Thai.  Give me just a few minutes.

YES,   Thanks boB,   would normally say,  "what was I thinkin',   but obviously,  NO thinking was involved in that Post,   sorry for any distraction in that poorly-reasoned statement.

Vic

That's OK, Vic.  Happens to me ALL the time !

😁😁😁😀😀😎😅😑
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Thai

Hi boB,

Thank you very much for your time and your help, but I am obviously over my head. It has been raining here (my SCC is mounted inside a cabinet outside on a trailer) and in a hurry, I attempted to measure the resistance and carelessly did NOT check to be sure that the SCC was shut off first. Consequently I fried it  :-( and now it won't even turn on. My bad.

Anyway, many thanks for all your guidance and patience. I will contact tech support on Monday to see if I can ship it back for repair. Otherwise, live and learn ...

Have a great weekend!
Thai

boB

OK, Thai.

That's OK.  You tried.  But as we always say, we do not make progress on electronics unless we have let the smoke out a few times.

So, you done good !  It's only a charge controller after all...  And it's raining anyway so no power lost today.

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me