Logging datas on a Synology NAS

Started by Lya72, March 20, 2012, 06:05:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lya72

Hi,

Is it possible to register the datas on a Synology NAS at home via the ethernet
included, without having to connect to the midnitesolar web site ??

Thanks for your comments.

Yann
1 Classic 200, 4 SILLIA panels 240W in 2 strings of 2, ie 960Watts and 60.8 Volts, 4 MIDAC Batteries 6V 240Ah, ie 24V bank (acid batteries)

atop8918

We have plans to release our website database backend to customers who wish to keep their data onsite. We are a bit short-staffed at the moment, though, so the website development is stalled.

In the near future, you will be able to point your Classic or other MidNite Solar device at your own local or remote webserver and log data as we do on ours.

A naked Synology or other NAS does not have the right protocol parsers to request data from the Classic. We will release the backend and API when it is done! I wish I could give you a good faith  timeline.

Using the local application you can setup a dedicated server to just run it as a data acquisition device. The current version will still run on Ubuntu Linux (more than likely other distros) so you can get a cheap, barbones no OS system (a 386 has plenty of horsepower for this) and download Linux for free. Install Adobe AIR for Linux and then the local application. It will run continuously logging data once configured to do so. The data can be exported to a csv file with which you can do with as you please.

Lya72

Hi,
Thanks for these news.

OK, for the moment, the ethernet interface isnt usable... for an unknown delay.

But, reading your firmware changelog, i saw the following :

USB now outputs ASCII (CSV format), PV input Voltage, Target Voltage, Average
    battery Voltage, Average Battery current, Pv Input Current, Average Power
   into Battery (Watts) at about twice per second plus CR/LF

So, i think that with the help of PHP or Python, the Synology NAS can read the datas from the Classic USB port.

I hope so, because the first avantage of the Classic on the others is his ability to communicate in real time, without anything else !!

No need for an Arduino, with a clip on the wire to measure PV current, battery voltage.

Can you confirm that ??

Yann
1 Classic 200, 4 SILLIA panels 240W in 2 strings of 2, ie 960Watts and 60.8 Volts, 4 MIDAC Batteries 6V 240Ah, ie 24V bank (acid batteries)

boB

Quote from: Lya72 on March 20, 2012, 05:35:56 PM
Hi,
Thanks for these news.

OK, for the moment, the ethernet interface isnt usable... for an unknown delay.

But, reading your firmware changelog, i saw the following :

USB now outputs ASCII (CSV format), PV input Voltage, Target Voltage, Average
    battery Voltage, Average Battery current, Pv Input Current, Average Power
   into Battery (Watts) at about twice per second plus CR/LF

So, i think that with the help of PHP or Python, the Synology NAS can read the datas from the Classic USB port.

I hope so, because the first avantage of the Classic on the others is his ability to communicate in real time, without anything else !!

No need for an Arduino, with a clip on the wire to measure PV current, battery voltage.

Can you confirm that ??

Yann

Yes, if your host USB computer can read CDC serial emulation through USB, that is all that is
necessary.   For a PC and windows, this can be done by plugging in the Classic to the
PCs USB port and installing the CDC driver that comes with our MidNite Classic update
software from our Firmware link.   Linux and Unix should be able to read this type
of USB com port emulation natively.

I usually use a terminal emulator and just log the ASCII to a file.

Thanks,
boB

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me