Clipper- Is there any other way to dump with the Classic

Started by firehawk71, March 21, 2012, 01:09:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

firehawk71

Hello everyone, I got real excited to hear a midnight classic could control a wind turbine. I am a newbie and still learning here so go easy on me..lol
I know something has to be done with excess power from the turbine. I never herd of the clipper to last week. Then I thought it would be a great item to use. Until I looked at the price! Why is this item so expensive twice that of the controller? And is there a way the Controller can use a regular dump station and work without the clipper? Thanks

Volvo Farmer

It depends on what kind of wind turbine you have.  Before the clipper was commercially available, Ryan figured out a crowbar type clipper that would short the phases using the Classic's Aux1 output to keep the voltage from rising above the Classics limit. This seems to work well with Piggot style dual rotor turbines but I cannot comment on other designs.  Additionally, you can use a regular PWM type controller and a dump load to keep the battery voltage from getting too high.

I'm doing it this way and it does work. Basically you let the classic run wide open all the time and set the charging parameters higher than the dump setpoint.  If you let the Classic go through it's normal bulk/absorb/float routine, it will unload the turbine, and you generally don't want to be flying an unloaded turbine.

ChrisOlson

Old thread.  But I'd like to point out that if you use clipper control on Aux 2 with a SSR it never unloads the turbine.  I have all my wind Classics set to the proper charge stage voltages and if the turbine is putting out too much power and it tries to drive the voltage over the charge stage setpoint the clipper comes on and holds the voltage at the proper level.

The other nice thing about that is that when the bank drops into float the clipper comes on and brakes the turbine, basically shutting it down - no sense wearing out a wind turbine running at full bore when the bank is in float and the loads don't require the power from it.
--
Chris

boB

Thanks Chris !

AND !!!...   In case the Classic resets or becomes unpowered or crashes for some reason and the Aux output stops
controlling the dump load, the MidNite Clipper has a fail safe circuit that powers itself from the turbine itself to
further protect and keep the turbine voltage from possibly going so high that it smokes the charge controller.

All that circuitry, power supply, SSRs, load resistors, fans, 3 phase rectifier, brake and disconnect switches and
the box to put it in adds up in cost and that's why it isn't cheap.  There is a lot of design and "stuff" to
a proper clipper.

boB

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

dgd

Quote from: ChrisOlson on October 11, 2012, 12:29:26 AM
Old thread.  But I'd like to point out that if you use clipper control on Aux 2 with a SSR it never unloads the turbine.
Clipper control aux2 appears to be  always ON (12v). I use this to keep three normally open relays active and if the Classic powers off for any reason this closes the relays. These then short the 3 phases of my wind turbine bringing it to a halt. I also have small switch in the aux2 path to the relays which acts as a turbine stop switch.
Dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

boB

Quote from: dgd on October 11, 2012, 07:01:32 PM

Clipper control aux2 appears to be  always ON (12v). I use this to keep three normally open relays active and if the Classic powers off for any reason this closes the relays. These then short the 3 phases of my wind turbine bringing it to a halt. I also have small switch in the aux2 path to the relays which acts as a turbine stop switch.
Dgd

Dgd...   Which Aux 2 mode are you using ?

Remember that if you are counting on the Aux output to be high (12V) to stop the turbine, then if the Classic should for some reason
get turned off (breaker switched), that 12V Aux output will die to 0 volts.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

dgd

Quote from: firehawk71 on March 21, 2012, 01:09:02 AM
And is there a way the Controller can use a regular dump station and work without the clipper? Thanks
Easy, Use AUX2 on WASTE NOT active high to control a DC ssr such as Crydom D1D100 to connect a dump load between input + and -
dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000

dgd

Quote from: boB on October 11, 2012, 07:25:34 PM

Dgd...   Which Aux 2 mode are you using ?

Remember that if you are counting on the Aux output to be high (12V) to stop the turbine, then if the Classic should for some reason
get turned off (breaker switched), that 12V Aux output will die to 0 volts

boB

clipper control, its active high 12v when Classic on and 0v when classic power off.
my relays are open when powered on and closed when no power - hence Classic off = turbine off

This is really a waste of an aux control, it would be good to find a header or testpoint pin that  has +12v and use that instead

dgd

boB

Quote from: dgd on October 11, 2012, 09:26:47 PM

clipper control, its active high 12v when Classic on and 0v when classic power off.
my relays are open when powered on and closed when no power - hence Classic off = turbine off

This is really a waste of an aux control, it would be good to find a header or testpoint pin that  has +12v and use that instead

dgd

Well, if your relay could use say, 9.5 volts (almost 10V) there is that available from the Slave communications
phone jack if it doesn't draw too much current.  There is a pinout of that jack on our web site if you think you
might want to try this.

http://fusion.midnitesolar.com/ClassicCommJacks_Rev-.pdf

It's the one labelled 9V

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

dgd

Enquired from my local midnite dealer today and it takes until March 2013 to get a clipper if ordered today.   :'(     Back to the home made clipper drawing board..
Dgd

Robin

Who is your MidNite Dealer?
I believe we have them in stock?
If not, then it doesn't take long to build them.
Robin Gudgel

dgd

Has Midnite considered online ordering and shipping directly to customers?
Supplying product via a distributer and dealer network is just too last century when internet shopping is now so common and popular.
A direct sales option should improve pricing as well since dealer and distributor margins are not necessary (ie two less people clipping the price ticket)
dgd

niel

Quote from: dgd on December 15, 2012, 01:53:26 AM
Has Midnite considered online ordering and shipping directly to customers?
Supplying product via a distributer and dealer network is just too last century when internet shopping is now so common and popular.
A direct sales option should improve pricing as well since dealer and distributor margins are not necessary (ie two less people clipping the price ticket)
dgd

this is general speak by me and if i'm wrong on any of this then the guys at midnite can correct me on it.

if midnite were to do that they would have to maintain a higher price than any or all of the distributors as undercutting a distributor would essentially be bypassing them and all would then only start dealing with the factory. as it is midnite has just a limited number addresses the stuff would go to and in higher quantities. midnite would lack the personnel to do many small orders. the distributors/dealers get the menial task of the small orders. robin is recognizing a failure or breakdown of the distributor/dealer and is offering to help that person out of their jam, but this is not the norm at this point.

dgd

Niel, I understand your points.

However I prefer not to pay $, in the form of 'too high' prices, to support dealer and distributor networks. Especially when that network of 'middle men' cannot offer support or advice  better than is availabe in this forum.

When I bought my first C150 I was annoyed to find I had paid full price for  a unit manufactured 15 months before. Old shelf stock with the disrtibutor :(
If I had bought from MidniteSolar then I would likely have received a more recent 150. 

Now when I try to buy a Clipper I have to wait until March 2013 :'(
If I dealt directly  with MidniteSolar then via USPS I would have a Clipper in about 14 days.

dgd

Halfcrazy

DGD
Where are you at that you cant get a clipper before mid March? PM me or Email me (ryan@midnitesolar.com) maybe I can help. I agree with Niel we really cant just sell to the public. But if the Distributor cant help the customer than I will do what I can to help them.

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time