Port Forwarding need only for MyMidnite Stat uploading

Started by checkyourmirrors, August 14, 2021, 02:22:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

checkyourmirrors

I’m actually helping a friend who has two Classic 150’s (Master/Slave) and I’m a network guy so together we’re hoping we got enough knowledge to get online monitoring setup. If we only want the 150’s to send data into the myMidnite monitoring servers, can we just enable DHCP on the unit  and will it automatically start uploading data? I get we need to register and input the MAC/Device ID to access the data from the MyMidnite.com site? I saw something about setting the DNS to 0.0.0.0 which confused me as to why plus it would throw off any name resolutions to find the servers or perhaps Time Servers.

Then if we only WANT local network web access (or the Local monitoring software) we can enable the Web Access and get to it from the same in-home network? I was hoping to avoid port forwarding which I assume is ONLY if we want Web Access to the 150’s from outside of the house.

Hopefully that makes sense, and if anyone know is both the Master/Slave units needs Ethernet or does just the Master?

Vic

Hi c y m,  Welcome to the Forum,

I know almost nothing of computer Networks,   but,  yes,  every Classic that one wants to report into My Midnite,  needs to be setup separately.   A Classic  with WbJr/Shunt will be able to report Net Ah,  nominal SOC,  etc.

Here is a useful video,  on MM2 setup:
http://midnitesolar.com/video/videoPlay.php?video_ID=144&videoCat_ID=24

Good Luck,  Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

boB

For just My Midnite, it doesn't need any port forwarding because in that mode, the Classic calls into MM by being a web browser.

For the second TCP/IP connection, it would be a modbus over TCP/IP connection on (typically)  port 502 and of course that would need to be port forwarded to be visible outside of the LAN.

Our "Local App" can be used for that connection (if you can run Adobe AIR), or any other modbus editor app or homegrown application that some have already made.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

FNG

On the actual classic, all is in the "NET":
DHCP enabled
DNS1 should be set by the router when using DHCP
DNS 2 or DNS Override should stay 0.0.0.0
WEB ACCESS should be Enabled
Press Enter to save

Now write down the MAC ADDRESS and DEVICE ID you will need them later
Last step is to completely power cycle the classic to make the NET settings take effect