News:

To visit MidNite Solar click this link www.midnitesolar.com

Main Menu

Enphase help

Started by Bluedog225, December 25, 2021, 07:32:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FNG

The Issue with AC coupled is the 5 minute reconnect timer. Unless Enphase has developed a throttle back system AND a battery based inverter has the same protocol to control it you have the clunky on and off every 5 minutes and the battery doesnt really charge elegently.

Personally I would use a DC coupled system with simple rapid shut down on the roof and let the charge controller handle Arc Fault this way you minimize the electronics on the roof

Bluedog225

Agreed.

I’ve read through the Classic manuals.  I understand the ground fault stuff.  I’m a little less clear on the arc fault but I generally get how it works.  But it all cuts off the load, not the source.

I’m trying to find info on whether Midnite (or Midnite combined with the SMA Sunny Island) is able to communicate with a panel level device for rapid shut down?  Like the Tigo optimizer?  Or a SMA Sunspec module level shutdown device? Or the Apsmart?

https://www.sma-america.com/products/sunspec-certified-rapid-shutdown-technology.html

Many thanks!

boB

Quote from: Bluedog225 on February 04, 2022, 11:06:37 AM
Good morning,

I appreciate the thoughts on this.  I’ve been digging around and frankly, have spent way too much time trying to figure out a way to get an Enphase micro solution. 

I found out this morning that the Enphase warranty is conditioned on continuous connection to the internet.  I’m off grid and no internet.  (and that’s dumb-chuckle). So I’m done with them. 

Do you guys offer (or know of) any solution that incorporates panel level arc-fault shutdown? 

Many thanks.

Tom

WOW!  I don't think I knew that Enphase equipment HAD to be connected to the internet !  Doesn't make sense but I guess that even the Tesla Power Wall had to be connected to the internet to be able to run off-grid for very long a few years ago.  I don't think they still do that though.

AFAIK, Panel (modular) level arc-fault is not legally needed.  String level fits the bill just fine.

And series arc faults have been the only type of arcs that had to be mitigated.

Parallel faults not yet at least so the one per array just has to turn the PV connection off.

boB

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Bluedog225

Agreed. 

I’m wanting to get ahead of the legal requirements.  Panels and panel level shutdown devices are getting cheaper.  I’d like to go ahead and be done with it.  Just need a system that can reliably signal the device.

Shutting off at the panel makes sense to me.

boB

Quote from: Bluedog225 on February 08, 2022, 01:28:37 PM
Agreed. 

I’m wanting to get ahead of the legal requirements.  Panels and panel level shutdown devices are getting cheaper.  I’d like to go ahead and be done with it.  Just need a system that can reliably signal the device.

Shutting off at the panel makes sense to me.

Just curious as to what is cheap ?   

I think the cheapest out there might be something like in the $20 USD  range for a single module.

Which module level shutdown products are you seeing ?

boB

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Bluedog225

That’s about what I’m seeing though $20 would be even better.

The SMA JMS-F SunSpec Rapid Shutdown Device is about $38.

The APsmart RSD System is about $28.

The Tigo is about $32.

I guess the way it works with something like the APsmart is the already existing arc fault/ground fault detection system in the classic trips, then the APsmart system detects the absence of AC and signals the RSD.

Maybe I’ve answered my own question.  No need for further integration?