Single complaint about the classic-input/output terminals

Started by dapdan, May 20, 2012, 11:23:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dapdan

Midnite,

I have to share my single complaint about the classic. It is very simple. The connection terminals are to small. It takes only up to 6awg where all others take up to 4 awg. IMHO it should be taking up to 2 awg since the classic 150 model outputs up to 96Amps! Midnite what is your recommended solution to connecting a wire larger than 6awg to the classic. I was particular impressed by the method the old MX60 used to connect the wire with in the connector. It seems to be a triangular metal lug that was  pulled upwards on tightening the connection screws and it easily accommodated 4awg wire.  I think for me this is the single greatest failing of the classic especially when I am looking maximise amp output and the wire maybe housed in conduit and the temperature rating of the conductor becomes more crictical because cooling is now restricted.

Cheers...
Damani

Halfcrazy

Damani
The terminals will take #4. I will pass this on to Robin. I have a couple ideas to make it a little easier.

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

dapdan

Ryan,

With all due respect I have had problems recently trying to install one where the client had just damage an old mx and it was being fed with 4awg building wire(19 strand) and I had to cut off about 3 strand to get it inside the termnial box. I have tried installing similar wire at home  and experienced the same result. If you are able to squeeze 4awg it would have to be the highly fexible type and then you would have to really compress it with a pliers and maybe the classic is laying flat on a bench when you could see exact what you are doing and can align precisely...then maybe it would go in. I just think with a controller outputing nearly 100Amp and not all controllers being able to be 3-6ft away from  the controller being able to get larger sized wires installed would be a definite plus IMHO.

Cheers...
Damani

dapdan

Ryan

I have to correct myself. It was not 19 strand but somewhere around 9 strands. It was English wire so it would not be exactly 4awg. It was actually 16mm^2 wire which has a diameter of 5.88mm (essentially 6mm). So when the wire is old and have a few errant strands it does not want to go into a 6-7mm diameter hole(which is the approx. diameter of the input terminal on the classic). So that is my story...and I am sticking to it.

Cheers...
Damani

Halfcrazy

Damani
Like I mentioned that could benefit from a few of us looking at it. I appreciate the feedback and assure you I have passed it on to Robin and crew.

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

boB

Evidently solid #4 wire will fit ok but stranded can be a problem.

We had to build our own TB for the Classic because the next standard size up is
somewhere around twice the size of this one.

Like Halfcrazy says, we're listening and trying to come up with a better way.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

dapdan

Thanks boB, HC and company. Much appreciated.

My usually supplier of the Classic 150 seems to be out of stock and only have the 200. What is the possibility of me getting a couple of them directly from you like last year summer when I was in NY for 2wks. I will be in NY again in early July for 2wks this summer.

Does the E-panel usually come with a classic mounting plate so it could be installed on the side. If so I did not get one with my purchase of a Magnum E-panel and had to use a piece of plywood to mount it. My usually supplier does not sell this accessories separately.

Cheers...
Damani

nigel

Just for information, in UK, EU we use 16mm2 fine strand cable rated at 175 Amps Max very flexible and it fits the Classic terminals with out issue.
We have 2 types one from UK and one from Domestic Spain, both with very fine strands. I personally wouldnot  like to see 175 amps flowing through it but on a classic maxed at 96 amps id be OK with that. This doesnt take anything away from Dapdan issue, just my 2 cents worth

dapdan

Nigel,

The building wire used down here in the caribbean does not have more than 19strads. In fact as the gauge goes up the strands decrease as you probably know. We use to use UK wire but we not use NEC codes and it associated wire. English wire is still used and there are still old electricians that would have rolls of it available to them as material remaining after an old job. In any case if one checks on line the coolest equivalent gauge to 16mm^2 would be 3 awg which has a diameter of 5.83mm which is close enough to that of 16mm^2 wire at 5.88mm. The ampacity of this wire is 158A for chasis wiring and 75A for transmission. I would have to consider the transmission wire as worse case when the wires are bundled into trunking or conduit for neater installations. So one this basis I would prefer to use large wire to give me some kind of safety factor.

Cheers...
Damani

nigel

Well its a fact that the fine strands do have a smaller foot print when we hydraulically clamp our cable lugs on to the wire sizes above 16mm2
we have to use a clamp die one size smaller than the lug and wire size. For Instance if we use a 50mm2 Lug and 50mm2 Superflex cable,
we have to use a 35mm2 die to ensure a really good bond . So I expect that amp rating given by the manufacture is because there is more copper conductor in the fine strands that the cable with fewer strands.  Going off topic a little put this pdf shows what I mean

http://www.prismsolar.co.uk/shop/files/InstallGallery/CableLugFabrication.pdf?1594261550

dapdan

Nigel,

That lug is well clamped. Is that a manual hydraulic or machine hydraulic crimper that is achieving 12 tonnes. I have seen some manual hydraulic crimping and die set for sale on line. I wondering if those set achieve this kind of hydraulic pressure. I have never read up on them. Down here once you go large than say 6awg the strands get thicker and fewer. The one I was dealing with had around 9 strands...not ideal but it was what the old electrician had installed and I wasn't about to change all of his wiring (I don't think he would have agreed to it either).

Cheers...
Damani

nigel

Damani, its manual the units are one of the very few things that are cheaper in UK than USA.... I had this convo with one of my USA friends either Vic or Larry some 2 years ago. Maybe MNS could strike a deal, mine cost me $100.... 4 years ago they are alot more expensive now,, its maybe crimped 500 lugs in that time . Good value !!!!!! For the first crimp its a 2 man job second crimp is 1 man job...............I produced the PDF because in a simple world my competitors were butchers when it came to large wire lug attachment,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,they still are...
Im not

Nigel

dapdan

Nigel,

This is what I currently use.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31nnDJwSieL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The colour is different but it is identical in every other respect. I saw some to those hydraulic types on amazon ranging from $100 or so up to $1400:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31Ya15oT0LL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/317nnkwx9FL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Cheers...
Damani

nigel

The yellow one is the smaller version of my unit at 12 ton. Thats the  8 ton I think. Had mine 5 years still on first set of seals $100 is what  they are in UK at the moment for the 12 t Model.

dapdan

Amazon has a yellow that claims 16tons of pressure around the same $100, so based on your experience it seems to be a good price. The price of the green one is out of this world though ($1400 not including dies!).

Cheers...
Damani