SWI stacking cable question.

Started by littleharbor2, July 24, 2022, 10:09:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

littleharbor2

I figure this would be the best place to ask being some of you guys go back to the Trace days

I am trying to find out the difference between the SWI series and parallel stacking cables. At this point I have resigned to building my own being I cant find them anywhere. It looks like all the parts are readily available. The series cable seems to have 20 lines used in a 25 pin connector.  So does the parallel cable have, like one more or one less wire? Is it that simple?
See attached image.
12 Suntech 175's
   Classic 200
   Bogart Tri Metric
   Trace SW 4024 (brand new, sort of, first energized Feb. 2015)
  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4  Battery bank

Vic

Hi, l h,

Have not looked, but, have you tried on the WInd-Sun Forum, as well.  A member there (RCinFLA, or similar) seems to have great depth and breadth of knowledge of some of the venerable inverters.  Of course this is the best, first place to start.

I only have two Series stacking cables,  and you have the diagram of it.  IIRC, the series cables have no identifying marks, short of a part number.

Good Luck,  Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

littleharbor2

Thanks Vic. Good idea. I will post over there as well.
Still hoping to hear from the good guys here.
12 Suntech 175's
   Classic 200
   Bogart Tri Metric

boB

I found this little tidbit from a long time ago.

This, partial schematic shows the clock lines which are made from complementary 5V logic.

There is also +5V, 0V (gnd) and 3 control lines that tell the slave which charging mode it is in like, Absorb, Float, EQ, etc.
Those 3 lines are like the clock line, as in, differential 5V signals.  But I don't remember which pins those go to.

I think that the 2 clock lines shown are correct but not absolutely 100%.   You would have to reverse-engineer a bit to find out which pins are actually uses but shouldn't be too difficult knowing what should be there with this info.

boB

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

littleharbor2

boB, Thanks for digging into the archives and your memory trying to figure this out.. While I've yet to figure out the difference between the SWI and SWI/PAR cables I have, while rereading all associated previous posts realized that for parallel operation I would need the Paralleling Interface Module to pull this off. I have handled lots of old Trace/Xantrex equipment before and haven't come across the Interface module or I would have ended up with one. I guess at  this point I'll put this thread to rest.
12 Suntech 175's
   Classic 200
   Bogart Tri Metric

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: littleharbor2 on July 25, 2022, 07:28:04 AM
boB, Thanks for digging into the archives and your memory trying to figure this out.. While I've yet to figure out the difference between the SWI and SWI/PAR cables I have, while rereading all associated previous posts realized that for parallel operation I would need the Paralleling Interface Module to pull this off. I have handled lots of old Trace/Xantrex equipment before and haven't come across the Interface module or I would have ended up with one. I guess at  this point I'll put this thread to rest.
Not sure if it will help , but worth a try contacting Jim Kerbel
I was in his shop once and he used to repair Trace Inverters .
Might be worth contacting him to see if he knows or has any of the cables you might be looking for.
https://www.pv-systems.org/contactus

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

littleharbor2

12 Suntech 175's
   Classic 200
   Bogart Tri Metric