Ontario Winters , no sun for days

Started by Corndog, January 15, 2023, 09:35:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corndog

Hello,
I am very new and still learning. So here is my question.

Where I live in Ontario Canada winters provide very short days of sun ( 5-6 hours ) and those days are few and far between. Huge lengths of overcast / Snow. Night time usage is basically the forced air furnace (LP)

The Gennie will run every second day to provide a full battery charge.

Will more solar help to increase the charge for my batteries during these short days and overcast?

Thank you

Off Grid
2 x Outback Flexware- VFX3648 Inverter
Mate 3
Power Hub 10
14 x Hanwha solar panel 345 watt
Midnite CI150 Charge
13 KW Diesel Gen
Batteries- Surrette 550 6V x 16
Ontario, Canada

ClassicCrazy

Yes - in location like yours best is to oversize the PV as much as possible .
That way you can make some power even on overcast days. Plus if the sun is out for brief time it can put a lot of power in the batteries . Of course that is only more possible if you have lithium batteries , if you have lead acid then unless they are really low the voltage will come up quickly and go into absorb and cut the current down.
So solutions to cutting your generator run time down are lots of PV and lots of battery storage.
I got some lithiums this past year and it has cut down my generator run time considerably - only on the very long very overcast periods do I need to start the generator up here in Wisconsin.
Your forced air furnace might be a load to consider if there is alternative to cut down on load such as turning temp down and heating specific rooms with local gas heaters that don't use power ( like direct vent heaters).
Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Corndog

Thank you,

Would more solar call for a different charge controller, we have the classic 150.

Yes we are lead acid here and the switch to Lithium is being considered once these have run their life cycle.

Thank you for taking the time to help. 
Off Grid
2 x Outback Flexware- VFX3648 Inverter
Mate 3
Power Hub 10
14 x Hanwha solar panel 345 watt
Midnite CI150 Charge
13 KW Diesel Gen
Batteries- Surrette 550 6V x 16
Ontario, Canada

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: Corndog on January 15, 2023, 12:33:07 PMThank you,

Would more solar call for a different charge controller, we have the classic 150.

Yes we are lead acid here and the switch to Lithium is being considered once these have run their life cycle.

Use the Midnite string calculator and it will tell you how much more power you can put on your Classic.
So if maxed out , you would either have to get a second Classic or consider upgrading to the new Midnite Hawkes Bay charge controllers that are being beta tested now and will be on the market in future. They do a lot more power and the input voltage on them is 600v compared to 150v . That means you can put the PV all on one string at higher voltage. The Barcelona is new controller that is like two Hawkes Bay in one - it will take two separate PV inputs . The decision on to add another controller depends some on what kind of new PV you would get and if they are same or matched well enough to your existing PV. There are some design considerations to consider.

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

ClassicCrazy

system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable

qrper

Quote from: Corndog on January 15, 2023, 12:33:07 PMThank you,

From your posting, it looks like you have a rather impressive system. I'd suggest that you'll need another inverter for 14 more solar panels.
The Surrette batteries can take lots of current, although you need to make sure you don't try and force feed them when they're really cold.
System one: 7kWp w/ Trina 250 W panels @90 Vdc. Classic 150 to 16-6 V U.S batteries. Trace 5548 sine wave inverter.
System two: 6kWp grid tie with solaredge inverter.
System three: Midnite Brat, two 120 W Astropower modules, 100 Ah battery. Runs the LED streetlight in the back yard.