News:

To visit MidNite Solar click this link www.midnitesolar.com

Main Menu

24V Equipment Site

Started by keesh, January 26, 2023, 01:31:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keesh

We have a site at which we convert 120V to 24V to run our equipment.  Last year this site was without utility power for 7 days This year 12 days due to the storms.
My idea of spending the first 12 days of the new year is not dragging batteries to the site and taking them home to charge.
So I was thinking of putting the site on solar (main) and Utility power as backup.
How would I configure that with a Classic 250 (and can I ?)
And what equipment would you recommend to do that converting 120V to use by the Classic 250?
Right now we use 3 10 amp 24V converters split over 3 systems (about 16 amp total usage) but I will need just one I assume to tie into the Classic.

TIA.

Highflyer

Keesh,

This might be out of the box but I would consider a Midnite DIY in 24V.  The Midnite DIY has AC in and out, Solar in, and AC out.  The DIY can charge the batteries from solar or the grid. 

Being close enough to adjust things means you could have a smaller solar setup. 

You said you are using 16 amps at 24V continuous.  That is over 9kWh a day.  So your array will need to be able to generate that much energy every day on average.  The good thing is you could rely on solar when it is available and use grid energy when your solar is unavailable.  If you are trying to setup a solar system with batteries to protect from a 12 day outage with limited solar output, well that is going to be a very large system indeed.  If your solar is reliable, your system could be very manageable.

Brian

The one thing is the one thing

keesh

The good news is we are in California, so usually we have a lot of sun. 
I was thinking of the Classic 250 because it has input for wind turbines. 
Looking at the specs for a MN3024DIY I did not see that input listed, but maybe I did not read it properly.  We can easily move our equipment to 48V if needed.
I liked the MN5048DIY specs regarding PV input voltage

Wizbandit

The DIY3024 has a very low PV input, like 90-100VDC max.  At 110VDC things get shaky, at 120VDC over-voltage it goes BANG. And Smoke. And tears...

Highflyer

Quote from: keesh on January 26, 2023, 02:37:23 PMThe good news is we are in California, so usually we have a lot of sun. 
I was thinking of the Classic 250 because it has input for wind turbines. 
Looking at the specs for a MN3024DIY I did not see that input listed, but maybe I did not read it properly.  We can easily move our equipment to 48V if needed.
I liked the MN5048DIY specs regarding PV input voltage

Keesh,

My thought was that the 3024 would have a 24 volt battery and there would be no need for a 120 VAC to 24VDC converter.  You would  already have the 24 VDC source available.

I do have a MN5048DIY and I like it a lot.  I have had a well over 300V solar array connected to mine with no issue.  Using todays 380-420 watt panels, it would be easy to add a single string of 6-8 panels giving you the solar input I think you would be looking to install. 

Hope this helps.
Brian

The one thing is the one thing

keesh

Yes thank you.

I got the MN5048DIY and playing with it now. 
The booklet talks about RS485 to WiFi communication module.  But they don't mention brand / model.  Any recommendations?

Vic

Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

Vic

Deleted Dupe Post,  VB
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

Wizbandit

I find the WiFi dongle next to worthless.  When I found out how it works I was disappointed.  There is no Inverter to Phone comms.  Your phone is only used to setup the connection of the WiFi dongle to the Cloud server located in China.  You then need an account with the Server where you access the uploaded data via the Internet. Your data (which also now belongs to the Chinese) can not be accessed if your phone and Inverter don't have Internet.