New in wind turbine system

Started by Grigorasm, February 10, 2023, 05:10:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grigorasm

Hello everybody!  I am new to this forum and I apologize if I posted wrongly.  I have a photovoltaic system with a power of 7kw/hour with a 7kw inverter and a 9kw battery.  My problem is that during the winter I can't cope with the household electricity consumption and I am helped by an electric generator that starts automatically when the battery reaches the minimum voltage of 48vdc.  That's why I decided to install a home wind turbine.  I chose an Ista breeze heli 2.0 turbine, now I want to buy a midnite classic 250 controller but I know that I still need a dumpload, a rectifier bridge, an automatic surge arrester, a circuit breaker, automatic direct current fuses and I know that I have to  to create a protection for the overvoltage/overcurrent charging regulator.  I don't know how to make this electric circuit.  Can someone help me with an electrical diagram and some advice?  I saw at missouri wind and solar an electrical panel for a voltage reduction device (VRD).  I would be grateful if someone could help me with an electrical diagram.  I mentioned that I would buy this VRD, but it would be very expensive for me to bring it to Romania.CBSUCLASSICVRD_150_2__55159.jpg

boB

Is the Ista Breeze a 3-phase output ?

I am not sure what is exactly in the Missouri Wind and Sun dump load.

Normally people will use a clipper on the PV side to load the turbine when the batteries are full.

When the Classic resets or is temporarily not running or the Classic is in current limit, a battery side dump load will not do anything on the battery side at that time and the wind turbine may spin fast in high wind.

I was just talking with a local guy here in Phoenix, AZ who is from Romania.  He is in the solar business here.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Grigorasm

Yes, this breeze has a 3-phase output with a voltage of 200vac per phase at a wind speed of approximately 13m/s.  I know that the classic 250 accepts a maximum voltage of 240vdc on the input, but I would still like to install a (VRD).  And the VRD from missouri is made with the help of dumping resistors.

ralph day

The Clipper can, with an adjjstment to the potentiometer, limit the ac input down from 250vac quite easily.

Grigorasm

Quote from: ralph day on February 11, 2023, 08:01:30 AMThe Clipper can, with an adjjstment to the potentiometer, limit the ac input down from 250vac quite easily.
Can you provide me an electrical drawing!

boB

The Clipper  will want to limit DC input voltage to something less than 250 volts so that the Classic does not have to stop charging when it goes over the Classic's maximum input voltage rating.

The 3-phase clipper would have a 3 phase rectifier of course.  Then, on the AC side, a 3-phase SSR will connect the dump loads to that.  So, at least 3 power resistors connected at one end together and the other ends to the 3 AC phases.

You will need something to power the pulses to the SSR.

Also in a real clipper circuit is an auxiliary power supply that runs off of the turbine itself for when the Classic is turned off or disconnected.  Also contained in a the MidNite clipper is the necessary circuitry to trigger the SSR as a failsafe so the adjustable  voltage limiting is somewhat smooth at just below 250V DC, typically.  That can be adjusted to be lower.

The Classic has a clipper mode that is smart in that it can keep the turbine spinning just fast enough to keep the batteries in absorb or float or EQ when maximum power is not needed from the turbine, helping to save the turbine bearings.

Another feature of the MidNite clipper is the 3-phase turbine brake switch.

Relays CAN be used on the turbine side instead of a solid state relay but relays will most likely wear out soon and can not operate as fast as an SSR to clip the turbine smoothly.  This allows an AC cycle by cycle clipping or limiting for best usage of the turbine during higher wind speeds.

Contactors or relays will turn off approximately when the coil is turned off but in reality will be several milliseconds and can not be forced to turn off at zero crossings.  This may burn up the contacts unless proper snubbing circuitry is connected.  That can be done with diodes, capacitors and resistors.

So, a simple clipper can be made to save the charge controller from over-voltage but best operation relies on a bit more complicated clipper.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me