Rebulk, what does it mean and what should the setting be.

Started by Corndog, July 09, 2023, 09:11:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corndog

Hello,

I have done some reading and searching without success I think.

What does the rebulk setting do and what should it be set at on the Classic 150.
48v FLA battery bank.

Thank you
Off Grid
2 x Outback Flexware- VFX3648 Inverter
Mate 3
Power Hub 10
14 x Hanwha solar panel 345 watt
Midnite CI150 Charge
13 KW Diesel Gen
Batteries- Surrette 550 6V x 16
Ontario, Canada

Vic

Hi Corndog,

When the battery voltage descends to the Rebulk voltage setting, a new Bulk charge cysle begins.

This can allow finishing the day with the highest state of charge for the night.

It is not too commonly used, as each charge cycle takes a bit of life out of the batteries.

IMO, Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

boB

Yeah, it's not real important.

Re-Bulk will start a new Bulk/Absorb cycle on the same day  IF, while in Float, the battery voltage drops below the Re-Bulk voltage for like, 60 seconds.

It is hardly used but is there if you want it.

The Re-Bulk voltage would be set to something less than Float voltage.

Like Vic says, it is not used very often.  However, this should all be in the manual if it is not there now.  We'll take a look ! 

All charge controllers would normally have this setting and feature

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Corndog

Thank you!
Yes it is in the manual, did another read through after reading your reply.

So another question, how can I prevent another charge cycle when at the day start they are sitting at 50.4v when I leave for work or should I let it cycle ?  I hope that made sense
Off Grid
2 x Outback Flexware- VFX3648 Inverter
Mate 3
Power Hub 10
14 x Hanwha solar panel 345 watt
Midnite CI150 Charge
13 KW Diesel Gen
Batteries- Surrette 550 6V x 16
Ontario, Canada

Vic

Quote from: Corndog on July 09, 2023, 09:57:53 PMThank you!
Yes it is in the manual, did another read through after reading your reply.

So another question, how can I prevent another charge cycle when at the day start they are sitting at 50.4v when I leave for work or should I let it cycle ?  I hope that made sense

Hi Corndog,

You might wish to review the following Thread:
https://midniteftp.com/forum/index.php?topic=4952.msg46010#msg46010

One salient question remains: Do you have the MidNite WbJr Currrent sensing module on your Classic?
This module makes an approximation of the SOC of the battery, and to me,  more importantly, it measures and can display the Net Ah of the battery  --  the Net of all of the Ah going into the battery during charge, minus all of the Ah removed from the battery since the last full charge.

Using battery voltage, early in the morning can be an adequate read of the present State Of Charge of your battery,  if the night-time loads are not repeatable,  and due to battery temperature variations from one day/week, to the next this value will be less reliable.

Also,  another pending question, from a brief scan of your previous Posts:  Do you have an accurate, reliable Hydrometer (like the Hydrovolt)?

Measuring SGs early in the morning, and also noting the battery voltage at that time, can help you use battery voltage readings in the morning as an approximate SG guide.

As noted previously, using Pilot Cells can allow a fairly accurate guide as the SOC of the whole bank (as noted in that previous Thread.

EDIT:  The Classic can Skip Days (of full charging), and using End Amps could allow full charging every day, with the Absorb time as a variable.   BUT these two options cannot be used together (it is either/OR)...   and so on.

One additional QUESTION:  I assume that this an off-grid site,  BUT,  it this site being lived-in full time?
  more later ...Out of time, now.

FWIW,   Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

boB

Quote from: Corndog on July 09, 2023, 09:57:53 PMSo another question, how can I prevent another charge cycle when at the day start they are sitting at 50.4v when I leave for work or should I let it cycle ?  I hope that made sense

If you want to not have 2 cycles in one day, just set the Re-Bulk to some VERY low value like, 10 volts.

If it really did get that low of voltage, then you really did need a Re-Bulk :)

Or, just set it to some low-ish value that makes sense like, 42 volts.

OR, let it cycle twice by setting Re-Bulk to something just under the Float voltage...  Say, Float V  minus 3 volts or so.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me