New Application Request

Started by Tinman, November 12, 2011, 02:32:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tinman

If there is a way to do this already, please disregard.

How about an app that only logs data from the Classic to a local network client? I can see a real benefit for that since one could write their own apps to display/use that data. While there might be come conerns about accessing real-time data as it is logged, locking could be used to dump the data once per day when the Classic goes to rest.

Right now there are pretty significant gaps in logged data as the Local Application hangs quite frequently (now within 15 minutes of starting.) 

I'm not sure if the current issues are communications related in which case this wouldn't work but if not, having a daily data dump available would be fantasic.

Tinman

Still wondering about this. The idea of My Midnight is okay but allowing access to my private grid to anyone but me isn't a good option. A free service is great except sooner or later everyone gets hacked and any kind of power systems are big targets, even for kiddie scripters. While no one is likely interested in my system, I'm not up for being collateral damage either. Even if a local web app is running, if it gets compromised I have no one else to blame but me.

It appears that the Classics are running server services since the Local App is a client. Even with read-only access I could see some people developing web apps running locally and then sort of open sourcing their efforts to others.

The daily log dump would go a long way to getting there. Until the local app can maintain a connection and operation all day there is no practical way to get it.

atop8918

Hi, Tinman,

This is a good idea and one of the reasons we've followed an industry standard protocol and published our register map. The Classic uses basic MODBUS to communicate to the outside world, which is what the local app uses to talk to the Classic. The data I log in the local app comes straight from those registers once every two seconds (which is one of the reasons the local app seems to be getting bogged down -- still trying to figure that one out...). In addition, the Classic is now internally logging the same(or similar data) and saving it internally. The internal data is a more reasonable once-every-ten-minutes and is available using a modified MODBUS file read command. We'll be publishing that in the MODBUS spec as soon as someone has a chance to get to it.

We talked a bit about letting customers point the classic to a web server of the customer's choice -- both for the reason you addressed, and we're big fans of the fact it is YOUR data, you should be able to do whatever you like with it and anything we can do to accommodate that is our pleasure to facilitate. We do have plans to release the specs on the server implementation to allow folks to either point the classic to their own web server (local or otherwise) or to obtain data directly from our server. All this takes time and I'm working feverishly to get it all done.

If you want a reliable solution immediately, I'd suggest something like Modscan available from http://www.win-tech.com/html/modbus1.htm  or a similar third-party modbus logging tool.

hope this helps!
-Andrew

Tinman