Battery Info/Forum

Started by grizzley, December 09, 2022, 08:47:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grizzley

This is not exactly a MidNite related issue so I posted it here

We have an off-grid system with two 48V 420Ah battery strings all US-Battery. We are now looking for more info or a good discussion forum on batteries.
We were very happy with our first set of batteries, they lasted almost ten years all nicely maintained by two MidNite Classic 200. Now we are having issues we’re half of the batteries are failing within 6 months of installation and the seller is dragging its feet on any warranty questions. So I am looking for a good source of information if I am running into an anomaly with the batteries or if I need to change brands, suppliers or even change the type all together. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions. Google is good but you also find lots of junky info so I am hoping you guys have some recommendations as to we’re to find good info or discussion groups.
Thank you
1300W solar
3kw wind turbine
MidNite Classic 200
Magnum MS-PAE inverters
420 AH 48V battery bank

ClassicCrazy

Concerning your lead acid batteries - are they flooded ? Then getting the specific gravity of each cell will help you evalutate.
Also check wiring to make sure it is all balanced and good connections.
Have you changed how much power you draw out of the lead acid ?
These days it is worthwhile to investigate lithiums.
You can use less lithium capacity than with lead acid. Many of the lithium dealers and brands offer 10 year warranties.
Of course the warranties are only as good as the dealers or brands being around right ?
But they have been selling many thousands of these.
Some research at Signature Solar and Current Connected businesses will help you. Some of them have some good info videos.
Will Prowse has lots of videos but take his recommendations with some grain of salt because he pretty much reviews what he gets for free from manufactuers.
But his forums DIY Solar has a lot of good info and honest critiques too.
Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable