News:

To visit MidNite Solar click this link www.midnitesolar.com

Main Menu

MNGP2 Locked up ... Help

Started by aaapilot, December 20, 2023, 02:18:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aaapilot

Hi All.  I updated my MNGP2 from Prod 23.9.13 to Beta 23.11.06.00.  Had 1 block error but recovered and finished.  Once it reset, the screen locked with the data below and none of the input buttons or knob worked.  I've turned battery power on off several times, no joy.  I've run the Android production & Beta programs ... both see the MNGP2, but then say the software is up to date with the latest and won't download again.  Also tried w/ iPhone App, same results.  Any Ideas???   *Note the Menu File Size=0*

Dave
_ _ _ _ _
Dave /:\

ClassicCrazy

I have had that happen to me twice in the past .
Here is solution from Ryan - which I tried and worked .

"Power down the MNGP2 so it is dark
Hold back button and apply power
Keep holding back for 15 seconds then release
This will revert the MNGP2 to factory firmware so you can update again"

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

boB

And if Larry's method doesn't work, call us and we'll send another one.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

aaapilot

Thanks so much Larry!  The reset worked and I'm back up on the latest production firmware.  I'll try another stab at the Beta update in a day or two, a bit gun shy at the moment :) Think I'll let the new system charge the batteries at least once before I go Beta.

Thank you Bob as well.  Always good to know that Midnite has your back, no better equipment or folks to work with and a great forum of experienced operators willing to share their knowledge.

73's .....  Dave
_ _ _ _ _

ClassicCrazy

Not sure why but that last couple times I did those updates it locked up like yours did. But then the second time after that reset the update went normally .
Look at your battery config at the Ending Amps - mine is always showing 65535 . It will be at zero after the updates but seems to always revert later to 65535. I have set back to defaults but then later will come back to 65535.
Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

aaapilot

Quote from: ClassicCrazy on December 21, 2023, 10:25:26 AMNot sure why but that last couple times I did those updates it locked up like yours did. But then the second time after that reset the update went normally .
Look at your battery config at the Ending Amps - mine is always showing 65535 . It will be at zero after the updates but seems to always revert later to 65535. I have set back to defaults but then later will come back to 65535.
Larry

I updated the MNGP2, Rosie, and HB w/the latest Beta with no issues this morning!  Really appreciate the bluetooth/app combo that makes this so easy.  My Ending Amps, AH Efficiency %, and AH CAP Temp Comp were initially missing from the setup menu; when I say missing, the entire line item was missing.  I went back thru the settings a few minutes later and they had magically reappeared with the same settings I had from the previous firmware. I have Ending Amps set at 2A, so that number reappeared.  Perhaps there's a bug with the '0' setting ... maybe set at 1 or 2 and see if it resets to 65535 later?  Thanks for all your input, it's a big help.

Dave
_ _ _ _ _

ClassicCrazy

Mngp2 won't let me change the 65535 number. Maybe next time I do a firmware update and it goes to zero again I will try to put in 1 or 2 and see if that sticks.
Larry
system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable

qrper

This summer I ended up bricking the MNG2 and got it working after Ryan uploaded a slightly different version. So I was  hesitating about installing the newest version.

So, what the hell right?

And guess what?

Bricked the MNG2 once more.

I did what ClassicCrazy suggested and after holding the back button while powering up, I got the MNG2 to reset. Then the newest software was loaded and apparently is working.

With Rosie and the display living in the cold garage, the LCD is taking its time updating the display.

Right now, Rosie is working and I really don't know if I want to try an upload new firmware to it.

System one: 7kWp w/ Trina 250 W panels @90 Vdc. Classic 150 to 16-6 V U.S batteries. Trace 5548 sine wave inverter.
System two: 6kWp grid tie with solaredge inverter.
System three: Midnite Brat, two 120 W Astropower modules, 100 Ah battery. Runs the LED streetlight in the back yard.

ralph day

20 years with on and off grid...never updated anything.  If it's not broke, don't fix it.

FNG

Quote from: ralph day on January 21, 2024, 07:50:01 AM20 years with on and off grid...never updated anything.  If it's not broke, don't fix it.
100% with you and this is what I tell customers as well, If the device is not missing a function you need and is working to your satisfaction do not update