New Off Grid Inverter Charger

Started by nigel, June 15, 2012, 11:17:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BobWhite

personally Im looking forward to stepping up to 48 volts and hope its a MN , will be patient .
I do like the ranks/name idea, It leaves room to expand.
12-Lifeline AGM 8D's
10-Lifeline AGM GPL 31T
16- Diehard GC2
4-Classic 3-150 and 1-200
1-Classic Lite
2-BRATS
5wiz bang Jrs, , 2- Samlex-24Volt
5- 235 MX60s
10- Sharp 198
10 Solar world 345 XL Mono

clockmanFrance

I am still looking forward to the New Midnite Inverter.

Meanwhile I am doing a new 10kW OzInverter.

Here's a pic of the new Toroid, that's 4 commercially wound silicone iron cores, stacked.

This new bare core is 35kgs (about 70lbs) as is.

The toroid is important, but there are Inrush problems, I have tech specs.

The biggest of the Midnite breakers seems to cope, with a phut!, although on this New 10kW Inverter I will do a small standby circuit, and timer that allows a 50r resistor with small wires to initially charge my Power Board. Before the Midnite breaker is allowed to be switched on.

New Toroid.

1.  We stack the cores, keeps the copper loss down, but increases the core mass so its cooler and can handle more. But, now’s here the sting, the core centre is now too small, because of its double/quadruple  stacked height, for a normal commercial toroid manufacturing winding machine to get in. Therfore, this design has to be hand wound, so we use a cut out winding table/bench for easy handling.

2.  After each secondary winding, we Epoxy the winding before putting the next layer of Mylar insulating tape on. Its not to heavy coating, but this stops the windings from vibrating, rubbing together and eventually failing, it also helps with cooling.

3. As this design is hand wound, the Primary small number of turns can be the full size big diameter cable. 50mm/2, AWG 0 (1/0),  or 75mm/2, AWG 00 (2/0) .  This also helps significantly with keeping the toroid cool as this winding is open, and air flow can easily circulate around and through the toroid.

Trust this helps.....

qaggaz

Curious if there are any plans for integration with AC coupled microinverters (to better enable 3 stage battery charging), or DC optimizers (to better support module level monitoring)?

(As far as testing goes, if you are looking for any Alaskan volunteers, sign me up!)

Robin

We have talked about micro inverters. I don't think we will be able to compete with anything made at MidNite, but we will eventually work with some micro company just like Magnum and OutBack are doing. I used to think we might be able to compete at the 600W level, but the micro inverter companies have gotten soooooo cheap, that is doubtful now.
As far as optimizers go, we are definitely looking at that. There are 8 different types of inverters we are going to build. Three of them are supposed to ship by the end of this year. That is a tall order though, but I am optimistic.
I am not sure how we are going to handle beta testing. Two of these inverters are wind grid tie to go with our own turbines. The third is the EGo. The EGo will be the most revolutionary inverter in history! It is not small, nor cheap, so I do not know how to handle beta testing. I suppose we could offer screaming deals to willing participants, but they are too costly to just give away. We will talk more about this inverter/charger all in good time.
Robin Gudgel

clockmanFrance

Quote from: Robin on March 03, 2016, 10:57:26 PM
The EGo will be the most revolutionary inverter in history!

That will be interesting.

Are you Going the High Frequency way without a transformer or Low Frequency with a good transformer.? If its a charger as well then it sounds like a Low Frequency, more robust which is good.

It will be interesting to see how you handle the back charging through the EGo Inverter, or are you going to make it Prime,? with Charging parameters, and use software to link to the PV, Etc, DC charge controllers and the AC coupled GTI's.

I have just published my booklet, A4 size, 76pp, 167 colour photographs and drawings, describing the construction and tech stuff of the 6kW & 10kW Inverter.
Its whizzing out all over the World for review at present, however its very obvious to me that most folk want an off the shelf Inverter, I tell them that Midnite is on the Case.

Building you own for most folk it seems, even with my instructions, is a step too far.

Give us a good Inverter, and please don't let your engineers get bogged down re-inventing the wheel.!

Bon Courage.

dgd

Quote from: clockmanFrance on March 04, 2016, 02:55:52 AM
Quote from: Robin on March 03, 2016, 10:57:26 PM
The EGo will be the most revolutionary inverter in history!

Are you Going the High Frequency way without a transformer or Low Frequency with a good transformer.? If its a charger as well then it sounds like a Low Frequency, more robust which is good.

I hope its low frequency with a BIG toroid containing a few dozen KGs of copper  :)

dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

Robin

You guys are far off base. This is like nothing the world has ever seen before.
Robin Gudgel

ClassicCrazy

Sorry Midnite ,
We can't wait so a little espionage was done of the new inverter.
This is a photo of the inside .
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

BobWhite

that could be an expensive fan to run and I really don't think you will be able to count on it when the inverter heats up ;D
12-Lifeline AGM 8D's
10-Lifeline AGM GPL 31T
16- Diehard GC2
1-Classic Lite
2-BRATS
5- 235 MX60s
10- Sharp 198

clockmanFrance

Quote from: Robin on March 05, 2016, 12:18:04 AM
You guys are far off base. This is like nothing the world has ever seen before.

Lets see........   A mechanical Inverter, (electroplaters use).

A latest chemical direct battery to battery Inverter.

A super capacitor Inverter.

A pulsed Inverter.

Either way, its going to get very interesting...............

Hamsters have a Union nowadays, I am told.............LOL

Robin

No, it isn't that radical, but it is really different for sure.
I think I added a CAD picture of this before, but this one is more real.
Robin Gudgel

Westbranch

Robin, you Tease!  same old, same old...

Can't remember what or when it was but that outline is causing my brain to say...'I've seem that before',

no copyright infringement going on is there?
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

Robin

I seriously doubt there is any copyright infringement going on. The features you are looking at began due to things happening behind that part. The springs and latches dictated most of the features on the front. When I looked at the front side, it kind of looked like an art deco space ship, so I just added to it little by little. I am not aware of anything out there that looks like this. If there is then it is pure coincidence. Wish I could show you more. All will happen in good time. You do not even see this part on the EGo most of the time. The part you do see is not art deco at all. It looks like it came out of a B-17.
Robin Gudgel

BobWhite

Ha guys, Im really interested in your inverters, any idea as to when the 48 volt would be available? I want to step one system I have going up to 48 volts and prefer the mn as you make a great product so if it will be at a point within reason for my system I will wait on the upgrade.
Walt
12-Lifeline AGM 8D's
10-Lifeline AGM GPL 31T
16- Diehard GC2
1-Classic Lite
2-BRATS
5- 235 MX60s
10- Sharp 198

Robin

The large 48V battery based inverter called the Ego is expected to ship at the end of this year. We still have a long ways to go before it is ready for sale, but we have ten engineers working on this project. I have worked on lots of inverters over the past 26 years, but the Ego is by far the largest project to date, so when I say end of the year, be aware that there are a lot of issues we will need to overcome. That said, we are trying get our first beta units ready for in house and very limited field testing in three months. Once the Ego is on the market, we will be able to quickly come out with smaller derivatives of the Ego.
Robin Gudgel