s/v Ninaa Ootakii - Multiple Midnite Chinook Wind Turbine Integration

Started by Stone, August 11, 2022, 12:42:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

boB

I would have to look at documentation for the Chinnook controller and dump load to remember what the LEDs are for.

So, with no solar, does the battery voltage go much above 30.2 V ?  If not then the dump controller is working ?

Not sure what a Con2- SLD and Con3-OVP  is.   Oh yeah !  That IS the Chinook controller !  Someone may chime in with another option but for the moment, I will see what I can find.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Stone

... I think you may have answered this in a different thread boB.

I have 2 classic 150s.
One of them has my panels on it.

The second is a spare (purchased when I was planning on a 12v system)

... I would like to set this up to heat hot water with any excess power (hydronic heating is in the world)

Can I tie all 4 of my turbines into a classic 150, and then set it to follow my primary controller?

I have a wiz bang Jr on the primary.

I think my current issue is that my primary 150 tried to EQ my bank and the dump loads on the wind turbines tried to dissipate the power as heat.

Thoughts?
Stone - (s/v Ninaa Ootakii)

8x 265w pv
4x 24v chinook turbines
2x classic 150s
8x L-16s (24v house bank)
8x GC2s (12v convenience bank)

boB

Quote from: Stone on March 26, 2023, 09:55:42 PM... I think you may have answered this in a different thread boB.

I have 2 classic 150s.
One of them has my panels on it.

The second is a spare (purchased when I was planning on a 12v system)

... I would like to set this up to heat hot water with any excess power (hydronic heating is in the world)

Can I tie all 4 of my turbines into a classic 150, and then set it to follow my primary controller?

Well, I suppose you could try that actually.   But the one Classic will treat them as one turbine.

Each turbine has its own internal rectifier so you won't back-feed anything at least.  AND on the boat, when one is getting wind, the others are most likely also getting wind.  Are they all pretty much spinning about the same  that you can tell ?

Sure, let me know how that goes !

You are running Classics in Follow-Me ?   That may be why you caught one doing an EQ.  Those Follow-Me cables might need to be moved away from other wires or possibly in a conductive conduit to help reduce noise.   Really though, noise should not make them do that. But, I have heard that moving the cable can fix that issue, it that is what it was.

Quote from: Stone on March 26, 2023, 09:55:42 PMI have a wiz bang Jr on the primary.

I think my current issue is that my primary 150 tried to EQ my bank and the dump loads on the wind turbines tried to dissipate the power as heat.

Thoughts?
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Stone

Second classic is still in the box.

Turbines voltage setting (dump load) is lower than eq settings in classic, so wen system hit that voltage, turbine controller tried to dump the entire system, solar included...
Maybe?

8x 265w pv
4x 24v chinook turbines
2x classic 150s

boB

When the system is in Absorb,  you could start raising the battery charge voltage (Absorb) and see when it starts to dump.

When you are equalizing, you will have to either raise the dump voltage or turn it off during that time I think.  If you turn it off for EQ and are using wind, you will just want to be careful so the battery voltage doesn't go through the roof.

No ?   Yes ?   Maybe ?   :)
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Stone

I'm not sure how to attach pics to a post with the new forum. :/

All 4 turbines are pretty much in the same wind, so they would reasonably work together maybe?

Is there a way to make the classic trip a relay when it goes into EQ?

Could use it to disconnect the turbines from the battery bank until it comes out of EQ?

Or better, switch them to a hot water heater element while the EQ happens?

... I'm pretty sure one of my dump load controllers is dead, so I need to figure this out.

For now all the turbines are disconnected with their brakes on.

Is there a document anywhere that can guide me here?

8x 265w pv
4x 24v chinook turbines
2x classic 150s

boB

I would use the Aux 1 output to trip when the battery voltage goes above a certain point. 

That voltage would most likely be somewhere between Absorb and EQ voltage.

I think that is called diversion active high mode.

I don't think there is an Aux mode specifically activated by EQ though.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me