Classic 150 sl solar controller

Started by RetiredSoon, June 06, 2023, 05:38:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RetiredSoon

Last year my solar controller was set at bulk charge until 13.8 volts and then on to float after that. Batteries would charge all the way up to 14.1-24.2 volts. This year, my lithium batteries are at 99% charge at 13.6 volts so the solar charger is doing a bulk charge trying to get to 13.8 volts, which doesn't seem to be happening. Should I lower my float charge to 13.5 or 13.6 volts? Am I in danger of hurting my batteries leaving the bulk setting the way it is?

boB

What does the battery manufacturer say that it should be charged to after the Absorb time is up ?

Absorb time for lithium is usually fairly short to have the battery's BMS to balance the cells inside.

Might be 5 minutes or 30 minutes or even 1 minute at Absorb.

Float voltage would be nice to reduce to something that would keep the batteries from discharging much during the day when solar is available.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

ClassicCrazy

" Batteries would charge all the way up to 14.1-24.2 volts."

I don't understand that voltage range . 

What kind of batteries do you have ? What voltage are you running ?

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

RetiredSoon

I have 4 100 amp hour 12 volth lithium batteries with a classic 150 controller and 1080 watts of solar panels on the roof. I just went back to the trailer and seen that they are all now sitting at 13.9 volts and the classic 150 sl has went into float charge at 13.8 volts. So maybe all is good. I am a newby with the whole solar thing. I bought this 2014 rv last year that was already set up with a pretty good solar system. I pulled the batteries last year, @ 79% charge and had them in my heated garage all winter and they maintained 79% all winter. When I reinstalled it just didn't seem to be the same voltage I was seeing last year. Maybe just didn't give it enough time to charge with solar system and I was worried for nothing. Next winter maybe I will pull them closer to 100% charged.

ClassicCrazy

What brand of batteries are they ?
I am assuming that since you can see the SOC of the batteries that it has Bluetooth that reports the BMS info ?
So like Bob mentioned , you should look up the battery manufacturers charge recommendation. Usually the Absorb setpoint is higher, and they will say how long the Absorb time should be. After Absorb time is over , then it will drop to Float voltage.
Also there is some discussion that it is better to store lithium batteries at less than 100% because of chemistry reasons. If designed right, the bms shouldn't draw too much and bluetooth should go to sleep.
One common mistake sometimes made is that people don't wire parallel batteries correctly so you can look at your setup and compare to this links advice.
http://www.smartgauge.co.uk/batt_con.html
Also here is some lithium info from Midnite page to compare to
https://www.midniteftp.com/support/kb/faq.php?id=127

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable