Another End Amp Absorb problem

Started by SolarMusher, June 25, 2012, 01:29:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boB

Quote from: Vic on June 27, 2012, 12:13:21 PM

IMHO,  the most problematic loads are those that are large,  and run for a long time period. 

Right !  If one had big loads that just came on once in a while, then EA could work in-between times when
those loads are off.

Erik, is that your team of dogs in that link ??  Beautiful !!

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

plongson

LOL...I'm so frigg'n out of my league on this topic. Man, all I wann'a do is get the most out of these batteries by not going too far either way from their comfort zone. Overall, I keep all loads low to moderate and cut off the fingers of those who refuse to comply.

Not sure now which way to go, is there a simple way to decide, EA's or TIME, without having a doctorate in CC's and FLA"s   :-\
10-Astronergy 235 watt panels
Fixed 180° south face-No tracker
Midnite Solar Classic MPPT Charge Controller 250V
Mini-Magnum MS4448PAE Power Center
Battery Bank: Fortress E-Vault MAX 18.5kW Lithium
Kubota SQ1200 21kW diesel genset
Lat/Long 37.8 N 113.1 W

boB

Quote from: plongson on June 27, 2012, 08:09:30 PM
LOL...I'm so frigg'n out of my league on this topic. Man, all I wann'a do is get the most out of these batteries by not going too far either way from their comfort zone. Overall, I keep all loads low to moderate and cut off the fingers of those who refuse to comply.

Not sure now which way to go, is there a simple way to decide, EA's or TIME, without having a doctorate in CC's and FLA"s   :-\

Time is how this has been done for many many years now instead of EA telling it to go to Float.

This is because around 2 hours is typically what it takes for the EA to come down to the right value after
the batteries have been discharged.   If the batteries have not been discharged very low, then it will
take less time and that is why the EA is nice.  BUT, this is why we try to Absorb for less amount of
time if it took less time for the batteries to come out of Bulk MPPT charge stage.

The problem is that early in the morning, you will have less sunlight and that means less power going into
the batteries and so the amount of time it takes for that Bulk stage is almost always longer than
it would be if you started out right in the middle of the day with full charging gusto power and current.

I have a way around this, but it will be a little while before the Classic will have this algorithm
put into practice in the real software.

So, to sum it up, it is OK for the Absorb charge stage to take longer than necessary.  But in those cases
where say, 2 hours is two long because the batteries weren't all that discharged, you just have to
watch the water level to make sure they don't go dry or below the top of the battery plates.

That is normally just fine for flooded  batteries...  (NON-  AGM/GEL batteries that is...)

P.S.   It i still OK for AGM/GEL batteries to have the longer Absorb time too as long as the
temperature compensated voltage limits are adhered to.  This is why there is a MAX and MINimum
Temp-Comp voltage  upper and lower limit in the T-Comp menu.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

plongson

Thanks boB,
Great explanation and I'm getting a better understanding of how to properly keep these buggers charged. Up to now, I've been mostly obsessed with undercharging but now I see the problem with overcharging. It's a thin line but it's clearer with your help.

Paul
10-Astronergy 235 watt panels
Fixed 180° south face-No tracker
Midnite Solar Classic MPPT Charge Controller 250V
Mini-Magnum MS4448PAE Power Center
Battery Bank: Fortress E-Vault MAX 18.5kW Lithium
Kubota SQ1200 21kW diesel genset
Lat/Long 37.8 N 113.1 W

SolarMusher

Hi boB,
Thank for taking time to explain how you see the Absorb process, it's clear now.
Yes, it's my dogs during an adventure trip on James Bay icefield (Waskaganish to Wemindji in Cree territory) in the north of Quebec.
Sadly, these pictures were made in 2003/2004 and I've lost most of them. If you like dogs, you know what I mean. There's nothing like sled dogs. More pictures on http://www.crocblancaventure.com/traineau-a-chiens-quebec/album.html
Thanks for your great support
A+
Erik
Off Grid with 4kw PV | 2x Classic 200/WBjr | 2x Outback VFX3648 Epanel | 3x SPD300 + 1x Schneider HEPD80 | Hub + Mate + PSX-240 | Volthium 400Ah/51.2V LFP battery bank + Trimetric | 1500 watts AC water heater | Kubota 11kw GL diesel generator

SolarMusher

Paul,
I like very much your CC and FLA doctorate ;D
Just think, when we have to explain CC and FLA to our custommers who want logical thought... ::)
We all try to give our best.
A+
Erik
Off Grid with 4kw PV | 2x Classic 200/WBjr | 2x Outback VFX3648 Epanel | 3x SPD300 + 1x Schneider HEPD80 | Hub + Mate + PSX-240 | Volthium 400Ah/51.2V LFP battery bank + Trimetric | 1500 watts AC water heater | Kubota 11kw GL diesel generator

Robin

Regarding the 300 volt breakers/ The parts we have made for us are internally ganged to trip at the same time. If the voltage you are trying to interrupt is 200 volts or above at any sort of real current, the two individual bereakers will not work. They will weld themselves closed when attempting to pen. They must be internally ganged. I'm glad you found the 300V panel mount breakers on our wbsite. In the near future yu will als find an 80 and 100 amp din rail 150V breaker. These are in the works now. Price should be about $34.00 just like the 300V breakers. They do require additional busbars though so may cost a couple bucks more.
Robin Gudgel