News:

To visit MidNite Solar click this link www.midnitesolar.com

Main Menu

Rosie Generator settings

Started by Groton Vermont, December 04, 2023, 05:25:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Groton Vermont

Hi, This may be a stupid question but here goes....

I have a 1700 watt generator. If I connect to Rosie and set the maximum input current to (say 14Amps). So the generator runs nicely, charging and supplying the circuits. But if a circuit switches on that draws more than 14A the generator kicks off - over current.
My question is, how can I set this up so in the event that more current is required than the generator can give, Rosie makes up the difference.
I could run a dc generator into a charge controller, that would work but I have a 120Vac generator.

Thanks
Jim

boB

Grid support only at the moment.

Gen support will be there eventually.

Don't know when yet.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Groton Vermont

OK, I appreciate the answer but you did not answer the question.

I am feeding into the grid input so didn't know the Gen input wasn't working.
The question is can the inverter make up power from a low power input. I'm thinking not but thought it's worth the ask.

If not, it may be something worth considering. I have seen a 5Kw fuel cell that could be nice but if I have occasional bigger loads and the inverter/batt can not make up the difference...

What actually happened is the generator was dropped due to under freq. Then after 10's or so, Rosie tried to reconnect.

thanks
Jim

Wizbandit

Rosie does support to BREAKER SIZE 75% when INPUT = GRID
No GENERATOR Support yet when INPUT = GENERATOR
If your generator works and Rosie is happy in AC INPUT = GRID MODE then it will support.  I understand BREAKER SUPPORT for GENERATOR INPUT on AC IN is in the works.
SO the way it works is if your breaker size is set to 20 amps when Rosie measures 15 amps coming in she will supply the loads up to 3500W per leg.  If you are feeding in 120V on Leg-1 and Neutral getting 120/240 out you will only get 1/2 of your generator rating.