Status of the MNS COMBOX Project

Started by Wizbandit, December 22, 2023, 12:28:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wizbandit

I know many are waiting but seems like little issues keep cropping up...
So here is the present status:

I got lazy in the initial code and the way I was getting data from the devices.  See, the CANBUS has hundreds of packets of data being "streamed" every minute.  Me not wanting to sort through all this data for the few bits of information I needed, I decided to just "ask" the devices for what I wanted.  Well, seems the MNGP2 does not like "others" asking for data that is available on "the stream", it gets confused as it thinks it should be the only one "asking".  Now I had to rewrite the whole code base, building "CANBUS Engines" to filter out and grab only what data I wanted for each device.  The new engines run in the background and update data periodically and it is stored in the database.  I also optimized code to shut down and release memory & resources for devices that are not actively running on the system.

The new system has been running for 4 or 5 weeks now with almost no glitches, it's time for me to go back over and double check the new code.  The Classic module is a big mess so I started from scratch on it and while I'm at it, adding code to get it as a device on the new MNS CANBUS as another supported MPPT device.  This is a daunting task but I'm making progress.  I have built almost a complete MPPT Charge Controller in software that the MNGP2 can't tell from a real one.  All I need to do is read the MODBUS data from the Classic and "attach" it to the proper CANBUS registers and bing!  Classic on the CANBUS.

Everyone have a nice Holiday and I will try and post updates more often...
JIm

Raster

Is it possible to support CanBus batteries (such as EG4-LL V2 48v) in a similar fashion, or are they already supported by Rosie/Barcelona?

R.

aaapilot

Quote from: Raster on December 23, 2023, 02:44:41 AMIs it possible to support CanBus batteries (such as EG4-LL V2 48v) in a similar fashion, or are they already supported by Rosie/Barcelona?

R.

I don't believe any battery systems are supported as yet in a closed-loop connection to the CANBUS.  But, it's a great question.  I have the new Pytes V5 batteries and would like to have closed loop capability as well.  Perhaps the re-written software will allow the data from these streams to be "attached" to the CANBUS registers just like the Classic data?
_ _ _ _ _
Dave /:\

boB

"I don't believe any battery systems are supported as yet in a closed-loop connection to the CANBUS"

Actually, some of this has been done but I don't remember how many different batteries ?  Maybe I never knew ?  But there is some work going on here. I'm just not privy to knowing which one(s)

No EG4 closed loop yet as far as I know.

It's going forward though and more and more BMS's should be added

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

aaapilot

Quote from: boB on December 23, 2023, 05:06:04 PMActually, some of this has been done but I don't remember how many different batteries ?  Maybe I never knew ?  But there is some work going on here. I'm just not privy to knowing which one(s)

Great news!  Looking forward to this update.

Dave
_ _ _ _ _
Dave /:\