News:

To visit MidNite Solar click this link www.midnitesolar.com

Main Menu

Cant seem to get the SOC to display on Rosie

Started by qrper, March 29, 2024, 12:26:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

qrper

Quote from: boB on April 02, 2024, 05:23:41 PMIs the Rosie in Absorb ?  Did it go to Float ?

boB

Yes on both accounts

Mike
System one: 7kWp w/ Trina 250 W panels @90 Vdc. Classic 150 to 16-6 V U.S batteries. Trace 5548 sine wave inverter.
System two: 6kWp grid tie with solaredge inverter.
System three: Midnite Brat, two 120 W Astropower modules, 100 Ah battery. Runs the LED streetlight in the back yard.

Wizbandit

Since CANBUS SOC% is controlled by the MNGP2 be sure the firmware is on the latest.  Update BOTH the ROSIE and MNGP2's firmware, they are a matched set.

Like I said the issue can be:
#1 Bad WBjr (we send a new one)
#2 Bad Firmware (you update and reset system to defaults, turn back on Wbjr)
#3 Bad Rosie Control circuit board (You send Rosie back to factory for repairs)

Start with #2, 2022 and 2023 versions had SOC bugs.
Once that is checked okay email for an RMA for a new WBjr. support@midnitesolar.com
That leave #3, last option.

A known bug you can test, start a charge, go to USER/SYSTEM FUNCTIONS and press "FORCE BULK", then hit BACK, go back into SYSTEM FUNCTIONS and press "FORCE FLOAT".  There is still a SOC bug in present FW that sets SOC = 100% when you do this.  note: unless YOU KNOW your battery is 100% don't trust the SOC% if it happens to set itself to 100%.  I still suspect it's a Firmware Issue.

qrper

Quote from: Wizbandit on April 09, 2024, 09:23:42 AMSince CANBUS SOC% is controlled by the MNGP2 be sure the firmware is on the latest.  Update BOTH the ROSIE and MNGP2's firmware, they are a matched set.

Like I said the issue can be:
#1 Bad WBjr (we send a new one)
#2 Bad Firmware (you update and reset system to defaults, turn back on Wbjr)
#3 Bad Rosie Control circuit board (You send Rosie back to factory for repairs)

Start with #2, 2022 and 2023 versions had SOC bugs.
Once that is checked okay email for an RMA for a new WBjr. support@midnitesolar.com
That leave #3, last option.

A known bug you can test, start a charge, go to USER/SYSTEM FUNCTIONS and press "FORCE BULK", then hit BACK, go back into SYSTEM FUNCTIONS and press "FORCE FLOAT".  There is still a SOC bug in present FW that sets SOC = 100% when you do this.  note: unless YOU KNOW your battery is 100% don't trust the SOC% if it happens to set itself to 100%.  I still suspect it's a Firmware Issue.

My wife and I survived the total eclipse yesterday, and haven't changed into Zombies, (I saw the movie and it didn't go well for us humans ;D ) so I'll try and upload the newest firmware to both the MNGP and Rosie. The last firmware posted for Rosie was for cold start issues, and I haven't done that upgrade yet. No need as the environment the inverter is installed never gets that cold.

That being said, I have never been able to see the SOC % on Rosie since installed. I use the SOC% shown on the Classic.

Mike
System one: 7kWp w/ Trina 250 W panels @90 Vdc. Classic 150 to 16-6 V U.S batteries. Trace 5548 sine wave inverter.
System three: Midnite Brat, two 120 W Astropower modules, 100 Ah battery. Runs the LED streetlight in the back yard.

qrper

Hooked up a portable scope I have, and this is what's on the purple wire. I didn't take a voltage measurement on the wire. I figure if I see the canbus, then it's got power.

mike

boB

QRPer, looks kind of like Whizbang data

Is that from Rosie or the Classic ?

boB

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

qrper

Quote from: boB on April 09, 2024, 01:03:00 PMQRPer, looks kind of like Whizbang data

Is that from Rosie or the Classic ?

boB

From Rosie.... the purple wire from the WBjr mounted on the neg battery lead inside the factory wired Rosie ePanel

boB

I guess the next question is, does the remote (MNGP2) show any current being through the WB Jr. ?

The baud rate on that purple wire should be, as I remember, 1200 baud.

Could you capture another screen of that data so I can see if there is a command from Rosie as well as return data from the WB Jr. ?

boB

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

qrper

Re-Installed the firmware for Rosie, the MNGP was up to date.
Rechecked all the connections.
Charged the battery via Roise's on board charger.

And I have battery SOC% now displayed on the MNGP! There is now an extra screen under status that shows WBjr info.

Now the problem is, for me, the charging current from the solar and Classic negative lead does not go through the negative lead in Rosie.

There are two WBjrs, one that is connected to the Classic and the one internal to Rosie. Don't want to disable/disconnect the one for the Classic, so will do some head scratching to figure out how to get both WBjrs to measure the same current going in and out of the battery's neg lead.

that being said, I'm 100% tickled I got the SOC% running on Rosie

mike

boB

Fantastic !   It is a good day then !

Eventually, (sooner than later ?)  with the Combox, the MNGP2 should be able to see both shunts.

Hopefully it will aggregate the two and let you see things the way you want to see them.

Wizbandit is doing all that by some kind of software magic.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

qrper

Quote from: boB on April 10, 2024, 03:06:08 PMFantastic !   It is a good day then !

Eventually, (sooner than later ?)  with the Combox, the MNGP2 should be able to see both shunts.

Hopefully it will aggregate the two and let you see things the way you want to see them.

Wizbandit is doing all that by some kind of software magic.

boB

That would be great, boB. A work in progress I do believe. It would be nice to have the SOC % read the same on both displays, the Classic and Rosie, but I've made progress as I haven't been able to get the SOC % on Rosie in over a year. I didn't want to try and remove the shunt out of Rosie, that would have been a chore.

Mike