Parallel battery banks and split phase inverters

Started by Jetson, April 05, 2024, 02:45:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jetson

Howdy folks,
Designing a bit of a unique off-grid system (or maybe it's not), and found it difficult to find the info I needed working through Midnite's tech info.
To start off, I was given a number of batteries from a surplus industrial project, and those will be the heart of the system.
I have:
1) 6 x 100 Ah 12v lead-acid gel batteries, almost new, typically good for 80% DoD ("useful" capacity of around 5.5 kWh).
2) 16 X 150 Ah 6v lead-acid flooded batteries, older, but still about 70% capacity, typically good for 50-60% DoD (also a "useful" capacity of around 5.5 kWh).

I want to configure a 120/240 volt split phase system with two inverters (actually inverter/chargers as mentioned below). Each inverter would run one leg of the "split" phases with the "neutral" points tied together.
One inverter would be 24 VDC input with the gel batteries configured 2S3P, and nominally 3 to 4 kW inverter capacity.
The other inverter would be 48 VDC input with the flooded batteries configured 4S4P, and also nominally 3 to 4  kW capacity.

As for MPPT charge controllers, I'm considering both the "all-in-one" approach (with each inverter also having a built-in MPPT controller), or stand-alone charge controllers on each battery bank.

The system will also have a 5-6 kW 240 volt generator running on propane (500 lb tank) that could be auto-started by either inverter when low battery voltage was reached.

Finally, it would be good to be able to add "parallel" inverters to either leg in order to increase capacity in the future.

My next purchase decision is the two inverters. Is there anything in the Midnite offerings that will accomplish these goals?

Thanks anyone for any input! Cheers, E.

ClassicCrazy

Take a look at new midnite all in one  that is going to be on market soon .
https://youtu.be/DPpn34YfV7g?si=gDDD2AKZbocHRAVr
Regarding your lead acid batteries .
If you want a longer life on them , only take 20% out of them.
I don't know about running two inverters off two different battery voltages and having them work together for 240v. To do that you need inverters that will sync with each other.
Seems like a better value instead of having two separate systems in is to take the cost savings of having just one system and put that into some lithium batteries.
one 48v 100 ah lithium has about 5.2 kwh and you can use 80 percent of it .
But I understand wanting to use the free batteries. It is just that lead acid , at least the flooded lead acid take maintenance - SG readings, watering, equalizing. Also it is difficult to keep a lot of batteries in series parallel balanced at charging and discharging.

Larry

system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Jetson

Thanks CC, good observations.
My other motivation for running two inverters and two battery systems is that I would like to be able to have some power in the event of a failure of any single component.
The flooded cells are not optimal, but the price was right, and even if I get 18-24 months out of them,  battery tech development is making new batteries cheaper and better every year.