New online display

Started by cdog, January 11, 2011, 09:00:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cdog

Hello all, I am curious of the type of anemometer or data logging device that could dislpay wind speed along with the information that will be provided on the classics online display?
Cdog

boB

Quote from: cdog on January 11, 2011, 09:00:33 PM
Hello all, I am curious of the type of anemometer or data logging device that could dislpay wind speed along with the information that will be provided on the classics online display?
Cdog

Anemometer capability will be available for use on a Classic with a future software upgrade....  Hopefully very soon.

Planned anemometers will be the NRG #40 and reed-switch type anemometers like the APRS World anemometer.

The connection will be into the Aux 2 terminal. Wind speed and logging will be available on the display and over the Ethernet/internet connection.

boB

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

cdog

Thanks, this will be a great feature,looking forward to this.

cdog

I cuurently have a anemometer from maximum, when I went to the nrg site I couldnt help but notice the sender looks virtually identical to mine, is this likely I already have an appropriate sender?

boB

Quote from: cdog on January 15, 2011, 07:33:55 PM
I cuurently have a anemometer from maximum, when I went to the nrg site I couldnt help but notice the sender looks virtually identical to mine, is this likely I already have an appropriate sender?

If you can post the particulars of the voltage and frequencies that correspond to the windspeed from the Maximum anemometer, we'll see if we can possibly put that capability in there too.  It may not be a big deal.  I'm not familiar with that one.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

TCarp

NRG seems to manufacture senders for quite a a few folks.
It's possible the Maximum is in reality, an NRG40
Cheers!

cdog

That is exactly how it looks to me, I am going to email them tomorrow.

cdog

I received a reply with the specs, it is not the same, but I will forward the info tomorrow..

cdog

I can't seem to post the PDF, Bob, can you give me an email where I can send it, thanks,
Cdog.

Halfcrazy

Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

boB

Quote from: TCarp on January 16, 2011, 10:15:15 PM
NRG seems to manufacture senders for quite a a few folks.
It's possible the Maximum is in reality, an NRG40
Cheers!

I just saw a picture of supposedly their anemometer.   I see why you would think it might actually be an NRG !!  Looks just like it !

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

cdog

Email sent, hopefully adequate info...
Their unit is about half the price of the other, it may be a suitable option?

boB

Quote from: cdog on January 19, 2011, 09:08:11 AM
Email sent, hopefully adequate info...
Their unit is about half the price of the other, it may be a suitable option?

I just got it !   I believe it is similar enough to the NRG #40 that when we get the Classic working with the NRG, this one should be a simple matter of changing a number or two.   How high of peak to peak voltage does it produce, in, say, 50 MPH winds ?

Any 2 measurements at 2 different wind speeds might be enough to extrapolate for higher wind speeds.

I wonder if electrically loading these types of anemometers down too much reduces their speed ?   Probably not, but I will have to try that with our NRG unit.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

tallgirl

The APRS World anemometer sensors are pulse output types, not voltage types.  They calculate wind speed by converting from seconds-per-pulse to pulses-per-second (frequency), then to speed.

boB

Quote from: tallgirl on January 23, 2011, 08:07:50 PM
The APRS World anemometer sensors are pulse output types, not voltage types.  They calculate wind speed by converting from seconds-per-pulse to pulses-per-second (frequency), then to speed.

I have one of those.

These NRG #40 and this Maximum anemometers are actual generators that generate a sine wave which is what I was wondering about.
I have an NRG #40 here at home that has been running for a couple of years.  I doubt that loading it down reduces its RPM at all but
not sure I would be able to really tell unless I had another one mounted in the exact same spot which isn't possible.

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me