Strange reset during the day

Started by Alain Boulet, December 26, 2012, 09:15:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dgd

I see this random reset too sometimes more than once a day. It clears the daily kw/hr figure otherwise normal operation. Only started to see this when my classics connected to my midnite every  13  or so minutes. Disable web  and no resets.

Dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

TomW

Quote from: boB on April 30, 2013, 12:01:22 AM

Was web access enabled or disabled ?

And are you using the local app ?

I am assuming that your clock is set and Time Synch is ON on the MNGP ?

Be nice if the LA had a clock display in the corner or something

boB

Web Access Disabled.

The LA was running on the laptop.

Clock is correct. Not sure how to check the Time Synch? MNGP>>EXTRA asks for a password but I never set one. Is that where it is?

AUX1 is Manual Off.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

boB

Quote from: TomW on April 30, 2013, 10:10:04 AM

Clock is correct. Not sure how to check the Time Synch? MNGP>>EXTRA asks for a password but I never set one. Is that where it is?

Thanks Tom.

The Time Synch is a new TWEAK.  It tells the MNGP to either send the time and date to the Classic control board
or not to.  This is so if you have more than one MNGP and only one of their batteries are good or only one
of their time and date is set, you can have one of those MNGPs be ignored.

This tweak is also for when the Local App is able to set the time and date on the Classic, we can ignore the MNGP
altogether.

Still hot on the trail of yours and my reset.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

TomW

Quote from: boB on April 30, 2013, 03:01:52 PM

Still hot on the trail of yours and my reset.

boB

boB;

Just FYI,

I am under fairly heavy charge / load (2KW + in and 1.5 KW to 2KW loading) today much like when other resets have happened but so far no resets today.

I won't change the Time Synch which is "on" unless you want me to.

Ain't it fun chasing The Ghost in the Machine?

Tom

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

boB

Tom, I am wondering if these resets are possibly related to the actions of certain routers and/or modems and/or ISPs.

I also think that the Classic may need to have had to have either web access enabled OR the Local App connecting
to the Classic in order for it so have this strange reset.  Your Classic reset with Web Access disabled but I believe
you had your Local App talking to the Classic which would fit that description.

What kind of router are you using at home ?  Do you have another router you can temporarily change it to ??

The Classic here in my office has been calling into my midnite for days now with the same firmware as ours
and has not hiccuped once.  That is what makes me think that it might be some kind of interaction with
certain routers.  It still shouldn't happen, but that's the theory that is going through my mind at the moment.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

TomW

Quote from: boB on April 30, 2013, 03:38:04 PM

The Classic here in my office has been calling into my midnite for days now with the same firmware as ours
and has not hiccuped once.  That is what makes me think that it might be some kind of interaction with
certain routers.  It still shouldn't happen, but that's the theory that is going through my mind at the moment.

boB

Linksys WRT54G or GL here with DDWRT Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (07/22/09) mini.

Sorry, without purchasing another router that is all I have. I have three of them one in the house one in the Power Room and a spare. The one in the Power Room is the router for the LAN. I may have a D-Link Access Point with a dead radio I could use on a wired subnet maybe. Main router still be the Linksys, tho.

Routers are cheap these days maybe I should grab one off Amazon to try? I always had good luck with Linksys so far so no idea what is good and what is China junk like that D-Link that lasted a couple months.

I read some posts saying the Linksys routers may be an issue but never heard any more.

Tom

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

boB

Well, this Classic is also ~connected~ to a  WRT54G or GL  WiFi box BUT I don't think it is
the router in this case.  I think it's just a bridge here.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

TomW

boB;

This Classic is connected directly to the WRT54G(L)

Tom

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

offgridQLD

I to have been getting the Kwh reset every day now after upgrading to the latest firmware. It happens late afternoon or evening.

Kurt.
Off grid system: 48v 16x400ah Calb lithium, Pv array one  NE facing  24 x 165w 3960w, Array two NW facing 21 x 200w 4200w total PV 8200w. Two x Classic 150,  Selectronic PS1 6000w inverter charger, Kubota J108 8kw diesel generator.

boB

Quote from: offgridQLD on April 30, 2013, 05:58:35 PM
I to have been getting the Kwh reset every day now after upgrading to the latest firmware. It happens late afternoon or evening.

Kurt.

Kurt, I will ask some similar questions.

I your Web Access enabled and/or  are you continuously watching it with the Local App ??

And, have you seen (or noticed) it reset twice or more in one day ?

Thanks,
boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

offgridQLD

Web access is enabled. I have only noticed it reset once in 24hrs (thats not to say that it hasn't but i havn't noticed it more than once) I don't run the local App all the time. I just log in to the local app now and then over the day.

Kurt
Off grid system: 48v 16x400ah Calb lithium, Pv array one  NE facing  24 x 165w 3960w, Array two NW facing 21 x 200w 4200w total PV 8200w. Two x Classic 150,  Selectronic PS1 6000w inverter charger, Kubota J108 8kw diesel generator.

boB

OK, I think we have a work-around for this strange reset.

It appears to be related to DHCP but only with some routers.

Try changing your mode from DHCP to STATIC.  This ~should~ stop
the unwanted resets.

If you have Auto-Restart enabled in TWEAKS, that should still
be OK.

On the My Midnite debug page, when you see the 8 on the right side
in the info_flags  (for example,  30003280), that means that the
Classic reset due to a Watch dog timeout which can happen
either from Auto-Restart (wanted) or this bug (unwanted).

To get rid of the 8, you will have to power down and power up
the Classic but if you have auto-restart enabled, this 8 will
still show up after midnight.

boB

PS.  One router that does this strange reset is a Westell DSL modem/router.
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

dgd

I still get this reset. For the last few days I have been monitoring my batteries as PV input has been very low 0.6. - 1.2Kw/hr for the day.
Today it brightened up and in a few hours there was 1.7KwHr 65Ah then local app said connection lost restarted and the PV Classic was reset, day so far KwHr set to zero and Ah set to zero. Wind Classic ok,  second PV classic good too.
WHen the rest occured the Classic was in BULK MPPT but watts was jumping about from about 150watts to 1200 watts as clouds moved over, never went to resting. V about 25.3 throughout.
I notice that 8 is set in flags meaning watchdog reset. What is a watchdog reset and why do I need it? does it serve any useful purpose apart from being involved in these bloody annoying resets? The reset also zaps the Lite's date meaning I have to run the Lite date set program again.
I have always been static IP set and the router works flawlessly.
Am I the only one still seeing these resets? I suspect much of my reporting from this Classic is invalid as a few times I see the date reset back to 2003 which is likely evidence of a random resets.

dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

boB

DGD, does that resetting Classic  have Web Access enabled (My Midnite) as well as being
accessed by the Local App ?

The reason I ask is that it looks like another way it can reset is to have (1) web access
enabled AND (2) one of "those" routers AND (3) accessing the Classic through the Local
App  AND  (4)  being in STATIC IP mode.

If it were in DHCP mode, the resets would ~probably~ be worse and more often.

You're Classic is in static mode so without the Local App talking to it as well as calling
into My Midnite (Web Access), it would probably not reset is my assumption at this
point.

The Watch-Dog reset is necessary to bring the classic out of  what would be
an infinite data abort loop.

We're working on this and have localized the bug but there is still work to
be done.

What kind of router is your classic connected to so we can add it to our list and
maybe get one for debugging.  The firmware revision of that router may also
be useful if it is a popular router that others are not having trouble with.

Thanks,
boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

aroxburgh

Bob:

With a modicum of software ingenuity (perhaps with a small hardware hack on your resetting 150) you should be able to *thread* the Classic 150 watchdog, to see what was on the CPU stack just prior to the reset. This approach should end the guessing game as to the cause of the random resets...

The statistics of the Classic 150 resets are quite strange! Sometimes I can go all day (bright sun or not so bright) and get no reset, then the next day, even before the sun gets above the horizon cloud layer or maybe during the sunny late morning, I may get one reset, or two within a few minutes of each other, or even get three within an hour, then none for the rest of the day. For these resons, it can take days, if not weeks to collect reliable statistics on external causal factors.

FYI: For technical reasons quite unrelated to my Classic or its firmware, I have been unable to load in an old f/w or the latest beta (via USB from an XP laptop, not my 64-bit Vista AMD quad core). Nevertheless, I will give you a fresh list of my configuration data for my 150:

BTW, my network is perhaps slightly unusual. My Classic 150 connects to my PC via a Netgear Pro Series Ethernet switch. This switch is connected to a  Netgear WN2500RP Wi-Fi Extender & Bridge, which in turn connects to a Linksys WRT610n simultaneous dual-band Wireless Router on 802.11n. This router (which creates a private subnet here) connects via Ethernet to a port on some other switch in my daughter's basement (don't know the model, but could find out if you need it), which likewise, in turn  connects to her router and DSL modem (again don't have the models handy).

I have not used the local app for a couple of weeks, but the resetting continues, as detailed above. Local app was a bit of a pain because it was losing the connection frequently. (Looking forward to something better...how's it coming along?).

FIrmware: 1042 MNGP, 1341 Classic.

MNGP clock is correct

My highest PV kWh ever was a week ago (on 5/2/2013): 2.9 kWh  (corresponding highest power 560 W).  This day had no resets!
BTW, my battery is 12 V and 420 Ah. The battery also has a Magnum MS2812 attached, together with BMK and ARC50 remote.

AUX1, AUX2 are off (not currently being used).

LED mode: LED 1
MNGP Backlight 300
Volume 504
COMM 110, 00, 502, 2 per sec data.
Time: 23:14:00 (is 35 sec fast)
Date correct
PWRSV OFF

TWEAKS:
VBatt OFFSET 0 V
VPV offset 0 V
AF OFF
GF ON
LMX ON
A-RST ON
Insomnia OFF
NITELOG ON
SHADE ON (I no longer see the shade msgs I used to get on the original factory f/w, even though I get serious shading for a time halfway through afternoon)
TMSYNC ON
FOLLOWME OFF
BTS-NET ON
PSWD OFF

I have been using Static IP addr rather than DHCP (for the whole time since installation).
IP addr. 192.168.1.111; nm 255.255.255.0
SW 192.168.1.1
D1: 192.168.0.1
D2: 0.0.0.0
WEB ACCESS: enabled
MAC address ends in 59

My Classic 150 does usually achieve PV Float after Bulk, and MNGP green light comes on.

Good luck!  :)  We are expecting great things from our highly esteemed software team.
Al Roxburgh
AJ4RF
Surveyor SV-235 travel trailer with 1.2 kW PV (6 x Grape Solar GS-3-195, Unirac Solarmount); MidNite Classic 150, MNBCM; 410 Ah @ 12 V (two Trojan L16RE-B); Magnum MS2812 2800 W pure sine inverter, ME-ARC50, BMK; Magnite E-Panel; power transfer cam switch; Dometic 459530 High Effiency Aircon