local app connection issue

Started by offgridQLD, December 30, 2012, 07:14:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

offgridQLD

I had a modem / router fail on me this weekend. I have installed a new modem and  for now have it setup to just monitor the classic over the local network.  (wanted to get that working first before I tackle configuring it for internet monitoring)

Today I was able to monitor the classic through the local app on my laptop without any problems until tonight. I went to open the app and it shows "connecting " then "retrying" and just hangs there for ever. It's showing the correct local IP address but its saying unknown above it.

I do have the classic set to auto restart each night so I will see what happens tomorrow but I just wanted to see if others had experienced the same issue with the hanging up at "retrying" Its like the app and my network are working but the classics not communicating. going into the routers setup page I can see the classic on the network and its all looking ok.

Kurt

Off grid system: 48v 16x400ah Calb lithium, Pv array one  NE facing  24 x 165w 3960w, Array two NW facing 21 x 200w 4200w total PV 8200w. Two x Classic 150,  Selectronic PS1 6000w inverter charger, Kubota J108 8kw diesel generator.

k7zs

I just had exactly the same thing happen!  I remote control a PC in my home in southern Baja, which runs the Local App.  I can PING the Classic, but the Local App has lost sight of it.

Calendar Related?

73 Kevin K7ZS

plongson

I've been fighting a connectivity problem for about 3 weeks now (see thread "ERROR 2002"). Ryan has been GREAT helping work through this problem but I'm starting to think it's a Classic problem and not a connectivity problem, but at the same time, it works when I'm on site (via the wireless router) and does not work via the internet when away.

It DID hook up on Christmas Day for a few hours but it has been down all the rest or the time.

I think everyone is at a loss. The only thing left to try is changing the port forward number and hope that gets it.

Paul
10-Astronergy 235 watt panels
Fixed 180° south face-No tracker
Midnite Solar Classic MPPT Charge Controller 250V
Mini-Magnum MS4448PAE Power Center
Battery Bank: Fortress E-Vault MAX 18.5kW Lithium
Kubota SQ1200 21kW diesel genset
Lat/Long 37.8 N 113.1 W

Halfcrazy

My experience shows there are 3 issues that come into play here:

1-IP address of the Classic changing do to DHCP not Static and then the routers port forwarding info is no good as it does not match.

2-Classic port gets changed from 502 to something in that area and this makes the Classic loose connectivity until you reboot it. You can ping it but not talk to it. (I cant swear this is a port number issue but everyone that was having the repetitive drop offs seemed to have the issue go away by using port 502 or ports say 1300 or above)

3-Port Forwarding in the router..

On the surface the steps are pretty straight forward.

1-Set the Classic for Static IP and assign it an IP outside the DHCP pool of the router.
2-Set up port forwarding in the router
3-Set up DynDNS account if needed and also set up the notification section in the router to notify DynDNS when the sites IP changes.
4-Enter DynDNS url or Static IP of the site and port number into the App

But in reality the DynDNS and Router port forwarding can be overwhelming if you dont do this kind of thing every day. This is why we are pushing so hard for My MidNite the web based solution as non of this stuff needs to be done. Simply plug the classic into the internet and then view it on My MidNite

So troubleshooting steps for me would be:

1-Verify the steps above are done and everything is programmed as it should be.
2-Power cycle the Classic if it comes back what is the port number it is on?
3-Have someone on site go to www.whatismyip.com and get the public IP address of the site is and enter that into the app and see if it works from away. If this works it is a DynDNS issue. If it does not work but you can view it on the LAN (Local area network) than the issue is a port forwarding issue in the router.

So the thing you need to do is find the root cause of the issue. Classic, DynDNS or Router.

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

offgridQLD

Thanks for the detailed response Ryan. It will come in very handy when setting up my new modem for remote viewing over the net. I did manage to get remote viewing working on my old modem for several months it was stable 95% of time.

This new modem I have just set up for local network viewing to keep things simple at first. This morning the app worked fine after last nights auto reset. I will keep it running throughout the day and see if I have the same issue as yesterday.

You really don't now how handy the local app is living off grid until its not working. Waking up in the morning and seeing the local app window and having a KWH number , Wattage number  and battery voltage number have become a morning ritual. Not having it running is like driving a car without a dashboard  ;)

I agree My midnite will take a lot of the trouble shooting and setup issues of individual's home network's and modem configurations.

Kurt

Off grid system: 48v 16x400ah Calb lithium, Pv array one  NE facing  24 x 165w 3960w, Array two NW facing 21 x 200w 4200w total PV 8200w. Two x Classic 150,  Selectronic PS1 6000w inverter charger, Kubota J108 8kw diesel generator.

offgridQLD

I'm happy to say the local app worked flawlessly all day. I even disconnected and reconnected from the app several times as well as powered on and off the modem a couple of times to try and trip things up.

The above going so well gave me some confidence (along with a couple of beers ) to sit down and configure the new modem for remote viewing online. Given the modem wasn't listed in the instruction examples along with some very stange terminology in the port forwarding section and some tiny hidden "apply" buttons on the every setup page. It took some head scratching but I am happy to report its all up and running  ;D

My fear of modems and routers is slowly diminishing.

Kurt.

k7zs

Happy New Year!

Update on my connection issue, and some more details for sake of clarification.

I use TightVNC to remote control a PC on the Local Lan in Baja, and I run the Local App on that pc, so I am connecting locally, not using the port forward technique (YET!)

The Classic is setup using a STATIC IP, as is always my preference, listening on the default port of 502

I was able to connect again this morning for a while, but then it lost the connection after a short while.

PINGING with the -t option for continuous pings gives me zero dropouts (I use a wireless BRIDGE to connect to the LAN)  So, the connection to the Classic is solid.

I do NOT think I have the latest firmware.

Is it possible to flash the unit over the Local App?

73 Kevin K7ZS

dgd

Quote from: plongson on December 30, 2012, 01:52:45 PM
I've been fighting a connectivity problem for about 3 weeks now (see thread "ERROR 2002"). Ryan has been GREAT helping work through this problem but I'm starting to think it's a Classic problem and not a connectivity problem, but at the same time, it works when I'm on site (via the wireless router) and does not work via the internet when away.

It DID hook up on Christmas Day for a few hours but it has been down all the rest or the time.

I think everyone is at a loss. The only thing left to try is changing the port forward number and hope that gets it.

Paul

so how is the Classic connected to your LAN?  do you use a wireless bridge at the Classic or is it a cable connection, if so how long is the cable and what does the other end connect into?  what local ip net number are you using and what netmask on the Classic. What else is on the lan? laptop? tv? etc.?

I have had similar issues sometime ago but thankfully they all gone  :)

dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

plongson

dgd,
The MSSP works great at the site where the Classic is located. It is connected to a Buffalo wireless router with a 8' CAT-5. The Classic is in the garage and when I'm sitting at the dinner table probably 30' away all is good, works perfect. The old laptop at the site is a Windows XP with not much on it, but again, it works. On this end, it's a newer HP laptop with Windows 7 and again no games or other BS. This one connects to a Cisco Linksys router to a Motorola cable modem using Cox as the ISP. The other end where the classic is located is a local internet provider called AWI Internet service (http://awinetworks.com)

I'm going from memory here, but the Classic setup is static (this I'm sure), 192.168.11.1 and 255.255.255 port 502. Router set the same, everything worked for about 3 weeks then "poof" it quit only to return for a few hours on Christmas Day. No one touched the classic setting when it quit. My son helped me try a few things this last Saturday when he was at the ranch and I was here at this PC monitoring the MSSP.

What I need to do now is try what Ryan suggested and put the local IP in the classic and in the App and see if that works.

Got any other ideas??  :-\
Lat/Long 37.8 N 113.1 W

dgd

Quote from: plongson on December 31, 2012, 05:53:08 PM
I'm going from memory here, but the Classic setup is static (this I'm sure), 192.168.11.1 and 255.255.255 port 502. Router set the same,

Got any other ideas??  :-\

Hi,
The Classic and router should NOT have the same ip number
if router is 192.168.11.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 
then make the Classic a differnt number in the same class C network
eg 192.168.11.101  with netmask 255.255.255.0  ( here I am assuming you have no other network device on 101)

If you already have them set to different ip numbers then it may be time to investigate if the ISPs are doing port filtering.

dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000

plongson

THANKS!! That's what I'm going to double check this weekend. Is there any way these address can change automatically? I read something somewhere to that effect...but I've read so much now it's all starting to blur.

I just got to up there and start working on it...

THANKS!!
Lat/Long 37.8 N 113.1 W

dgd

Quote from: plongson on December 31, 2012, 08:51:00 PM
THANKS!! That's what I'm going to double check this weekend. Is there any way these address can change automatically? I read something somewhere to that effect...but I've read so much now it's all starting to blur.

I just got to up there and start working on it...

THANKS!!

Once set the local network addresses on each device should remain unchanged.  I would  recommend checking the ip address in the Classic
is what it should be each time you power it off/on.
dgd

offgridQLD

On my new modem when you open the configuration page for the classic or any device on the network that has been assigned a IP address by the modem. You have a box you can tick (always use this IP address for this device). I ticked that box and haven't had the modem change  the Ip addresses on me for the classic.

I'm actually just using the IP same address that was assigned to the classic by the modem under DHCP but have the classic set to static. My thinking is this ip address is now reserved for the classic by ticking the box (always use this IP for this device).

kurt.

dgd

Quote from: k7zs on December 31, 2012, 01:44:37 PM

I use TightVNC to remote control a PC on the Local Lan in Baja, and I run the Local App on that pc, so I am connecting locally, not using the port forward technique (YET!)

The Classic is setup using a STATIC IP, as is always my preference, listening on the default port of 502

I was able to connect again this morning for a while, but then it lost the connection after a short while.

PINGING with the -t option for continuous pings gives me zero dropouts (I use a wireless BRIDGE to connect to the LAN)  So, the connection to the Classic is solid.

73 Kevin K7ZS

Hi Kevin,
Just to recap what you say above - you use an ethernet wifi bridge to connect to the Classic. I'm assuming you have seperate IP numbers on the
classic, wifi bridge and wifi router?
Usually a bridge defaults to an ip number such as 192.168.1.226 although its config lets you  set the IP.
The router IP will usually be the .1 in the same class C network   192.168.1.1
The Classic can be anything else in that network   eg 192.168.1.80 will do. If you let the wifi router assign an IP number via DHCP then these
assigned ips tend to start at 100, then 101, 102 etc..
Use a class C netmask on each device  255.255.255.0
The important thing to remember is that each device in the LAN must have its own unique IP number.

I'm sorry if this is all stating the obvious that you have already done but the working PING may not be getting a response from the Classic but some other device that has the same IP number.

dgd

plongson

I've been wondering this.

Only one computer can access the Classic at a time. When I'm onsite and run the App, it hooks up via the wireless router first and the DYNDNS setup is not allowed to connect. The problem with that is, I cannot test the DNS when I'm onsite.

Is there a way to defeat the local wireless temporarily for testing??

Keep the informational posts coming!! They really help me out... :) 
Lat/Long 37.8 N 113.1 W