News:

To visit MidNite Solar click this link www.midnitesolar.com

Main Menu

LBCO setting

Started by buckshot, December 03, 2012, 08:29:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buckshot

I  have my system up and running now! works great !  just getting all the settings tweaked !
I am running 24v      8 x 6v 530-400ah   it was recommended to me to set the lbco @ 23.6 v is this reasonable?  Would a lower setting shorten my battery life span?   The magnum me-arc  remote manual says a 24v system can be set as low as  20.0--22.8 V .  This system is only used primarily on weekends and sits at rest Mon to Thurs .
Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Mike

Halfcrazy

The issue with LBCO is that if it is set to high a large load can falsely turn off the inverter. Setting it low or leaving it default is only hard on the battery if you routinely discharge to that voltage. Most systems are set pretty low but the user never drains the battery down. For example my 48 volt off grid system here is set to 44.6 volts LBCO and I never let it get below 48 volts except a couple rare occasions. LBCO is more of a emergency break if you will to save from completely killing the batteries when something goes horribly wrong it should not be used on any regular basis.

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

buckshot

Thanks for the info Ryan.  In my case is 23.2 not about a 20% draw down/discharge I was under the impression the batteries could go to 50% draw down routinely .  I am using a 240v inverter and only surge i have is when the well pump kicks in. The lowest i have been is 23.8 v and everything worked well at that.

Mike

Trickle Charge

Mine is set to 22V for a 24V system of 8X245AH 12V AGMs, with the generator set to come on at 23V.  I believe the installer set it to that on the recommendation of the battery manufacturer.   

Once the AGS unit had faulted without me knowing it after trying to start four times, and it did hit 22V at which point the Magnum inverter shut down power to the house.  Unfortunately I sometimes have to let it dip below 23V on occasion as I can't run the generator at certain times, or as often as I'd like.