News:

To visit MidNite Solar click this link www.midnitesolar.com

Main Menu

TMI?? I think not...

Started by plongson, February 03, 2013, 10:32:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

plongson

When I'm on the road working and away from the ranch for a few days I'm always wondering about the "system", and I'm like an old wet hen when it comes to looking after it's well being as we all are. If you are a data freak/geek like me, you'll probably like these links. They are just visitor links and you can't do anything but look. Between all three, I have a pretty good look at how things are running.

I have the local App up and going, and FINALLY figured out where I was screwing up (with tons of help from all here). I went on a self-proclaimed jihad to learn about all things networking, realizing how much I didn't know. I also realize now that I asked some REALLY dumb questions...Anyway

I picked up a little IP Foscam security camera for $60

I got a screaming deal ($150 vs $400 retail) on a Magnum MW-MW-E Ethernet module to monitor the Magnum stuff remotely.

http://data.magnumenergy.com/MW5069/  Just click and see the real-time data.

http://thelodge.from-ut.com:85/  Use IE or Google Chrome and log in using username visitor and password visitor (be sure to select the correct borwser). Click on "Live Video". You will see the panels in real time and the sky conditions too. Again all you can do is look. The time correction is -7 GMT

TMI?? Not for me...LOL 
10-Astronergy 235 watt panels
Fixed 180° south face-No tracker
Midnite Solar Classic MPPT Charge Controller 250V
Mini-Magnum MS4448PAE Power Center
Battery Bank: Fortress E-Vault MAX 18.5kW Lithium
Kubota SQ1200 21kW diesel genset
Lat/Long 37.8 N 113.1 W

SolarMusher

Paul,
Does your AGS start on both settings: Amp load and Soc? Just curious.
What's that 27amps load sart?
Your Magweb looks great, I'll order one  ;)
Erik
Off Grid with 4kw PV | 2x Classic 200/WBjr | 2x Outback VFX3648 Epanel | 3x SPD300 + 1x Schneider HEPD80 | Hub + Mate + PSX-240 | Volthium 400Ah/51.2V LFP battery bank + Trimetric | 1500 watts AC water heater | Kubota 11kw GL diesel generator

plongson

Hey Erik,

YES!! the AGS starts the genset on both settings and essentially all AGS settings. The logic is an OR command and not an AND command, so if the generator is off, it will get a start command when any parameter (not set to off) is met.

EXAMPLE:
SOC genstart set at 75%, SOC currently at 90% but the Magnum ARC sees a > or = 27amp AC load it starts the generator. There is a setting for how long (time) it needs to see the 27A before a start command and a setting for low amp AC setting also for a prescribed amount of time for it to shut down the generator. Also the genset warm-up time/cool-down time needs to be considered.

It will work with all the AGS parameters

You can see how sweet this is because of the automation involved, there is no worry if some bonehead or family of boneheads starts flipping stuff on, it won't crater the system.

Where I was screwed up, I was setting the amp start from monitored DC amps and it is looking for AC amps...An honest mistake...

Paul
Lat/Long 37.8 N 113.1 W

SolarMusher

Glad to know it Paul, it could be useful to set the AGS that way.
Don't forget to check your SG...
Erik
Off Grid with 4kw PV | 2x Classic 200/WBjr | 2x Outback VFX3648 Epanel | 3x SPD300 + 1x Schneider HEPD80 | Hub + Mate + PSX-240 | Volthium 400Ah/51.2V LFP battery bank + Trimetric | 1500 watts AC water heater | Kubota 11kw GL diesel generator

plongson

HaHa...Those frigg'n SG's. With all the babying I give them and all the charging, I've struggled to get over 1.250 this winter. I'd give my eye teeth for a full >1.265...

Not much more I can do though. I've read where a lower SG can lead to longer life. Let's hope...But the system as a whole performs fantastic. What are your SG's on a daily basis? You have Surettes right?
Lat/Long 37.8 N 113.1 W

SolarMusher

No, not Rolls. I sell Rolls but they are interstate batteries L16HC 415Ah x16, 5 years old. Actually, my SG is 1.250/1.255 at 59.2V/10-13°c, never below 80% SOC. But I think I'm going to try set the Classic at 62V absorb for a month and see if I could have better results.
Chris Olson gave an explanation on high voltage settings from battery manufacturers that make sense to me, he's running his Rolls bank at 62V. I would like to try it.
Don't know yet what will be my next bank, maybe Trojan. I've a good supplier who has always delivered at full SG and have had several problems with Rolls last year which had cost me an arm on a warranty replacement for one of my good custommers. Didn't like it.
IMO, battery manufacturers need good suppliers before selling problems to dealers. Last year, I ordered x16 trojan 6VREB 370AH and my supplier called me and told me that some of these batteries had SG problems when tested. I'd like to work this way. Finally I ordered  x16 Trojan 370AHRE which where full SG and my custommer was very happy with this bank.
Erik

plongson

I hear ya on the battery supplier, as the end user we really don't know what happened from the time they were initially filled until we take delivery. That would explain plenty of the headaches some folks experience, especially if the batteries are purchased on the internet. I started off grid with limited knowledge and experience but with the next set of batteries, I'll do things different and have some serious requests/requirements from my supplier.
Lat/Long 37.8 N 113.1 W

SolarMusher

Agree, I prefer to buy batteries a little more expensive from my supplier and be sure that my custommers won't have problems with low SG when starting their system. But that's how manufacturers work, they always ship fresh batteries at a little 80% SOC because charging these batteries at 100% SOC would be a loss of time and money. That's why so many folks have low SG problems at delivery.
IMO, all batteries from well known manufacturers are about from the same quality, if one start with low SG, no matter the brand, chances are great that these batteries will sulfate quickly and be defective. Surrette asked me last year to equalize a new S-530 bank for 72hrs because of low SG, that doesn't make sense! How do they want me to ask a custommer to run his genny for 72hrs non stop on a brand new product...?
Erik