Classic Voice Software Beta test has started

Started by KyleM, June 12, 2017, 01:06:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KyleM

If you wish to get involved with the new Classic Voice Project head over to http://midniteftp.com/forum/index.php?topic=3746.0

Please post all questions on that thread.
-KyleM

rrose3000

I read this post below on amazon, I like your product and am in the market for a good charge controller, I am comparing your products to others and wonder if these problems stated below have been addressed?

I do like this controller for the fact that when paired with the Whiz Bang Jr it accurately charges batteries using ending amps while still being able to run loads! Have not found that option anywhere else so far. My main issues are that the firmware, software, and mobile app are so broken and poorly coded by obvious amateurs that it'll make you feel physically ill about how much you paid for it and question the legitimacy of the company entirely. Just navigating the menus on the built in display can reset all history and logs and the LAN connection has also been freezing up daily and requiring me to go to the physical device to enter LAN settings just to press "ok" to get it working again. Then there's the manual that is also a bit of insult to injury being just some printed and stapled pages that barely explain the more in depth customization options.

Westbranch

I have 2 Classics.
Love 'em!!! Especially when I am now able to use the MyMidNite data base again...  No fault of the  MidNite gang, it is the time out issue caused by slow Satellite transfer rates and needing a designated IP address.

As to the  ??? REVIEW ???
I know there have been issues with some of  the versions of the Firmware that powers these brutes of a family of Charge Controllers, BUT I would not go anywhere near denigrating the MidNite Solar people as being amateurs, etc...
This is quite slanderous IMHO!!!
There is one issue some might have, myself included...  As these CC's are able to do so much, it is easy to mis-set some of the options, forget to "SAVE a particular parameter or delete something accidentally...  The more powerful the greater chance of OPERATOR ERROR.

Sounds to me like the CC did not get a Factory RESET after a Firmware Update... all in the MANUAL
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

FNG

I do agree that the classic has had a few firmware bumps along the way, As for the cell phone apps, Yes Midnite has never done much in that area but thats all changing now, Blue Tooth will be an option soon and with that Cell phone apps. As for the manual, IDK I think most people that have issues with it are not seasoned installers and what needs to be known is Midnite assumes some level of experience when installing the gear, An example would be buying a book on how to rebuild your automatic transmission, the book will likely assume a level of mechanical ability. I will say Midnite is working on a line of DIY manuals that are much more robust for the unseasoned installers and I think that will help a lot.

boB

Thank you  WB ! 

I just looked for and found the original Amazon review...  He said that the Classic wasn't as efficient as they claimed...  Interesting as we don't claim any particular efficiency numbers.  He still liked the Classic because it charges his batteries properly so that's OK.  In fact, that is the main thing that it does before all else.  Heck, I have a hard time making my Android phone answer phone calls some times !

He evidently did not like the fact that it gets hot.  Yeah, it's kind of small for the amount of power.  If it were larger like some charges controllers with lower output current but more heat sink, then it would run cooler of course.

I also got the impression that he did not like the menu structure.  That's correct kinda because you can only do so much with as many menus and sub-menus that the Classic has with such a small display.  The online videos should also help to understand how to use it but there is just too much in there to make it real real easy.  I wold prefer some kind of Android tablet or iPad application with high resolution color display with nice graphics and touch screen.

As for the network, it has definitely gotten better over time.  That was kind of a thorn for quite a while.

I don't know how they are stapling the manual these days. 

boB

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

boB

Uh Oh.  I see that this was supposed to  be about  voice in the Classic ?

That's OK.  We'll accept the hijack until someone moves it somewhere else.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

FNG

Quote from: boB on July 19, 2018, 07:35:13 PM

Uh Oh.  I see that this was supposed to  be about  voice in the Classic ?

That's OK.  We'll accept the hijack until someone moves it somewhere else.

boB

Well you did speak, and the Classic is sort of your baby, So isnt this sort of "The voice of the Classic"?

8)

KyleM

rrose3000

I am more interested in answering your questions.
What do YOU want in a charge controller?
What are the things that are important to YOU?

We have strengths and weaknesses like any other product on the market.

I believe our strengths far outweigh the few weaknesses we have.

If you are interested in looking at our Manuals they are available on our website under DOCUMENTS.
They are written by Engineers so if you have any questions, feel free to contact our Support Department we can translate.

If you want to check out our remote monitoring page please contact me at kylem@midnitesolar.com I will give you a username and password to log in and check out what is going on in my lab.

Without having a Classic hooked up in your house that is the best I can offer.

If you have any specific questions feel free to continue to comment here or use my email.

-Kyle

Vic

AND,  rrose3000,

It may not be too apparent,   but boB,  is one of the co-founders of MidNite Solar  (my words),   and other Principals,  like Robin frequent this Forum.

Any manufacturer that wants to hide from feedback on their products simply DO NOT have an open Forum,   like this.

As has been mentioned,   no product is perfect.   But,   IMO,   the Classic is by far the most capable Charge Controller on the market,   and is often considerably less expensive than any of the competition.   It does all depend on what you want,  need and expect.

Have had Classics in service since January 2011.   Classice (and the smaller KID Controller)  do SO many things that other Chargers do not.   They are a very solid reliable platform,   that just get the job done,   day-after-day.

For our systems,   no other Charge Controller comes close to having the important functions  --  WhizBang Jr monitoring,   and control of Absorb termination,   two Auxilary outputs for control,  four line LCD display,    standard,   very high output current capability,   comprehensive ability to tailor charge parameters,   extensive logging,   remote monitoring,  High Voc tolerance,  etc,    ...   etc.

Those who have some experience in dealing with Charge Controllers,   realize just how capable is the Classic,   and,   at a very reasonable price.

If MidNtie had anything to hide   they would not host this very open Forum.

Just another very happy MidNite customer.   Thanks MidNite for all of your great products,   and continuing to design and make great new products,   meeting the needs that customers are asking for,   and at very reasonable prices.    MidNite has very,   very few critics,   and those few that there are seem quite far off base,   and perhaps have some other unknown alliance with others ...   THANKS  MidNite for all the great products!    Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

australsolarier

i found the manual easy to read and one of the best to apply to the device. besides there are 1000nds of tutorials on youtube. the status panel is easy to operate. and 99% "logical". the lan connection originally had some problems, but has been solved with updates years ago.