Diversion load ,aux 1 settings

Started by Taos, June 18, 2017, 08:17:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taos

I know this topic has been talked about many times ,but not sure is aux 1 settings were shared that work well, so i have set up a diversion load for my lower heating element in my hot water heater , i replaced the element with a 500 watt a.c , 120 volt . element , powered by my inverter, did give it a try without charge controller and ssr in circuit and have found that i need aprox 725 watts of solar output from my panels to provide egnough power to slightly charge my batteries while load is on , i have found that running the element aprox 7 hours will cause the heater thermostat to shut the element off ,thermostat setting 120 f , so heres what happens once the charge controller and ssr are in circuit and aux settings are as ,volts high 57.5, volts low 52 .5 volts, delay5 seconds and hold 5seconds. I find  this doesnt work well,  so was wondering what others might find that works good , i realize that all systems are different ,my float volts setting on the classic is 53.5 volts and absorb volt settings are 57.5 volts, i have a total of 1320 watts in solar panels,i know  not a lot, i normaly dont have any big loads on the system . Any help is much appreciated. (Note a lot of the the old forum links no longer work )😁
Thanks
Don
400watt x12= (4800watts)Canadian solar panels,ground mount, (400 AH ) 16 Ao lithium 12volt 100ah 4s lithium  batteries , outback vfx3648 inverter 48 volt,midnite solar classic 150 charge controler,midnite solar e panel mne175al,3 surge protectors,wiz bang junior.

boB

Did you also try adjusting the Low Volt and High Volt (On and Off) settings closer to each other and

then the time settings for a fast setting ?  Say, 0.1 second delay and 0.1 second HOLD times ?

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Taos

I have adjusted the volts settings a bit ,but until i m getting over 700 watts of solar the diversion will cycle frequent ( i guess this would be normal) most people are using aux 2  ,i didnt want to loose the wizbang junior so figure i would give aux 1 a try , im assuming my volt high setting for aux should be around my absorb voltage setting of the charge controller and low volt  of aux somewere around a volt or two lower , as for time delay i have it at 5 seconds and hold the same ,i took this figure as a starting point that Ryan was using in the midnite solar youtube videos for aux 1 , but doesnt  work well as once i hit float i will never hit the volt high setting and the diversion load will not come on ,this is most likely from my long delay and hold settings i set , so maybe if i adjust the hold and delay time  to down near .2 of a second  and keep my volt high setting around my absorb setting( to keep my batteries close to full charge and the volt low somewere around 53 volts or just below my float setting ,that would keep the diversion load on even if i hit float , hopefuly the quick switch times will keep the diversion load on ,while the charge controller swaps from absorb to float . I will give this a try ,since most people use aux 2 ( pwm) and Ryans video for aux 1 ,i set mine up with the long delay and hold times as a starting point .
Thanks
Don
400watt x12= (4800watts)Canadian solar panels,ground mount, (400 AH ) 16 Ao lithium 12volt 100ah 4s lithium  batteries , outback vfx3648 inverter 48 volt,midnite solar classic 150 charge controler,midnite solar e panel mne175al,3 surge protectors,wiz bang junior.

Taos

Update , so i tried adjusting the voltage H and voltage L closer to each other and didnt like the results ,so also lowered my delay and hold time to .1 seconds and once i go from bulk to float the diverssion load comes off and stays off as i have the volts H (55.0 )set maybe too high above my float voltage setting of 53.5, i guess when this happens its late in the day and solar panels are producing less , im now trying waste not high see how this works as some people like this better , its a slow process as i wasnt around the lass 3 days to play with the settings , and today not much sun .

Don

Taos

Update, well (the waste not high) function is the way to go for me , i set the V high setting to -.2 volt and the V low  setting to -.4 volt, delay time of 5 seconds and hold time of 10 seconds , i set the hold time to 10 seconds as i wanted the diversion load to stop if i put a heavy load on the system such as the central vac ,etc , and didn't want to discharge my batteries if set to a longer time such as what some others have done (180 seconds ) im sure they have a bigger battery bank and more solar power,im sure it works fine for them , i chose the delay time of 5 seconds this is if someone walks in front of my solar panels( ground mounted ) and cast a shadow on them or a cloud goes by ,etc . As for the V high  setting if its any less then -.2 it doesnt turn on the aux 1 , and i chose -.4 as the V low setting as i didnt want to allow the diversion load on when the battery volts were going to low and cycling often,  these settings work good ,the aux 1 ( diversion load 500 watt water heater lower element  ) does cycle quite a bit until im producing 700 watts to 750 watts( from my 1320 watt solar panels )  then will stay on most of the day 10 am until late 4:45 pm  ,of course this is on a hot summer sunny day , i will see how well its works when its cold outside and sunny , i will try tweeking the settings and see how this works for me , its time consuming as you basically  sit in front of your display And watch what happens as your system goes through its charging stages , i wouldnt change things too fast as there are changing solar imput changes and temp changes that affect solar panel output  ,im sure you can check your history charging charts then make adjustments .
Don